IGNORED

Ozark - Jason Bateman, Laura Linney

Goose

On 30/07/2017 at 06:52, Gotters said:

I watched the first 2 and didn't really grab me at all - has exactly the same issue I had with BB (and many other shows), how can you generate genuine peril or suspense with a show with only a couple of main characters, you know nothing is gojng to happen to them, it can't.

Seems pretty generic so far, but will give it another ep or 2.

I was as on the edge of my seat for Breaking Bad's first three. The escalation of circumstances is what I find most thrilling, to go from normality to depravity in just an hour. Watched three episodes of Ozark. Was a lull in episode 2 with the realisation the show starts now.

Spoiler

It's doing a great job of making a lot of characters interesting although it's going a bit overboard with the detective. Getting shades of Michael Shannon's Boardwalk Empire character from him with his intense self loathing. Also Laura Kinney I'm not keen on. She overacts so often and hysterically, doesn't gel with Bateman's understated dryness. As in TV shows or film, kids can easily access cartel beheading videos on the internet with ease. Maybe he's a wizz, maybe I'm sheltered. I'm hooked though.

done 5 episodes

Spoiler

About the 'it's doing well to make the characters interesting' thing...Didn't see that happening with the son, who now an episode later is running around with a rifle. The detective...I couldn't work out why he'd reveal his sexuality. Now his aim is to blackmail him? Or just use him? I don't understand how he knew he had suppressed sexual needs. The daughter meets a nice guy at the bar which prompts her to forgive and make up with the scroat kid who she left a job interview to punch in the mouth? And sets up a date with him? Seemed like there was an ultimatum by the cartel boss about wanting, what was it, $1 million by the next day? Nothing seemed to come of that. 

Maybe all those questions are dumb. I am slow. It's still great. 

What I didn't get was the motives of the Mexicans.   Jason Bateman is really good at what he does and really useful to them.   His partner was the problem.  Why fuck him over with the impossible deadline etc.   They should have been helping him deal with the locals not leaving him to his own devices while piling on the pressure.

I suppose the catch-all explanation for something like that is that he's worked well under pressure in the past. Maybe more pressure will equal more product? Setting up a bit of a goose/golden egg situation.

22 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

done 5 episodes

Hide contents

About the 'it's doing well to make the characters interesting' thing...Didn't see that happening with the son, who now an episode later is running around with a rifle. The detective...I couldn't work out why he'd reveal his sexuality. Now his aim is to blackmail him? Or just use him? I don't understand how he knew he had suppressed sexual needs. The daughter meets a nice guy at the bar which prompts her to forgive and make up with the scroat kid who she left a job interview to punch in the mouth? And sets up a date with him? Seemed like there was an ultimatum by the cartel boss about wanting, what was it, $1 million by the next day? Nothing seemed to come of that. 

Maybe all those questions are dumb. I am slow. It's still great. 

Spoiler

The FBI agent's motives are more than clear as the show progresses. There was also actually a scene where he's checking out the hillbilly family's rap sheets on his laptop. The uncle was arrested for picking up a young gay hooker or something like that. So the FBI agent was well aware of the guy's sexual proclivities.

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Hide contents

The FBI agent's motives are more than clear as the show progresses. There was also actually a scene where he's checking out the hillbilly family's rap sheets on his laptop. The uncle was arrested for picking up a young gay hooker or something like that. So the FBI agent was well aware of the guy's sexual proclivities.

[7 episodes watched]

Spoiler

Ahhh. Should have known what he was up to. Who when he first started fishing though thought 'of course, business idea'. 

Jonah school scene was funny. Intelligent characters make TV so much better. Still struggling for names, but the blond girl whose father is in prison. Interesting conflict with her loyalties. Marty is only gently nice to her really, he's rude to everyone else, but Wendy is more overtly nice and she's coming across like she has more of a conscience than when first introduced where I thought she'd be more cartoonishly crazy. They've rounded her character. Despite all this she did just try to electrocute him. Big bearded guy is so well played, you see little of the actor and just see a real person, most perfect casting. Not seen him in anything and can't Google until I finish it. He's gonna flip when he realises it was all a lie. In fact, most episodes seem to have people having the truth revealed to them, people and situations not being what they seem. 

On 03/08/2017 at 23:48, JPickford said:

What I didn't get was the motives of the Mexicans.   Jason Bateman is really good at what he does and really useful to them.   His partner was the problem.  Why fuck him over with the impossible deadline etc.   They should have been helping him deal with the locals not leaving him to his own devices while piling on the pressure.

Spoiler

They didn't believe that he wasn't involved, and with good reason as the had the 8 million that they had nicked. I assume that's also why he wandered off into the woods saying "I'm sorry I'm sorry" at the end of episode one. Like the story they were telling at just before they shot them all, this wasn't the first time they stole from the Mexicans, it was the first time they had been caught. They weren't expecting him to succeed, or even that bothered as they already saw him as a thief.

1 hour ago, Spainkiller said:

Well, this sure as fuck wasn't Breaking Bad.

Great performances, but other than that, utterly unengaging.

Just don't see how you can have that reaction? Ruth and Peter Mullan alone are superb. Never mind how good Bateman is in it.

15 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Hide contents

They didn't believe that he wasn't involved, and with good reason as the had the 8 million that they had nicked. I assume that's also why he wandered off into the woods saying "I'm sorry I'm sorry" at the end of episode one. Like the story they were telling at just before they shot them all, this wasn't the first time they stole from the Mexicans, it was the first time they had been caught. They weren't expecting him to succeed, or even that bothered as they already saw him as a thief.

I'm only a couple of episodes in, so maybe it's elaborated upon later - and I have no idea why I'm opening spoilers - but...

Spoiler

I didn't get the impression that he was actually involved in what Bruce etc. were up to. That money he scraped together seemed to be just what he'd stashed away over all the years they'd been laundering money for the Mexicans, out of what they'd actually paid him. There was the scene when Marty and Bruce were viewing the new office and Bruce asked why, when they were both earning the same, Marty had so little to show for it, compared to him. I assumed then that, in addition to the overheads of having kids, in fact he'd been squirrelling most of it away.

Also, he said to his wife - in the car when she ends up punching him - how it was partly his fault for not spotting what Bruce was doing. Did he have any motivation for lying by that point? She already knew everything, including numbers.

I enjoyed this. It's not going to escape the Breaking Bad comparisons at the moment (family man gets involved in the criminal underworld) - that's the reason I watched the show - yet I'm guessing it knows that too and it does what it can to try to be different in tone to that seminal series.

Jason Bateman does, at times, channel the spirit of Tim from the Office with that stare that says everything and nothing. The deadpan style works sometimes, other times not so much. It's hard to get a handle on how confident he might be or how much he's filling his trousers and it doesn't always convince. Like the scene where he confronts the Langmores after they steal his money and just talks it out like he's the coolest character in the room, when he's just an accountant. In fact, at one point I thought they might try to parallel Walter White's solving of problems with chemistry with Marty getting out of situations with creative accounting. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

It was guilty of a few cliches along the way:

Spoiler

Coming-of-age "weird" kid, woman getting hit with a truck.

I also thought the Snells came across a bit too comic book in their villainy compared to the how the rest of the cast behave, but as the series progressed and you factor in the FBI agent, Del Rio and the on-going series of misfortunes that keep setting Marty back like it's a sitcom, it sort of all fits together with the tone of it all.

Episode 8:

The

Spoiler

non-linear structure

was interesting, but they surely missed a trick by not having Bateman say "I've made a huge mistake". :)

Episode 10:

Spoiler

Keeping that baptism going for just a touch too long was just too cruel. A little manipulative, but at least it showed the series to not be as bleak as it could have been.

Roll on season two.

So worth a punt then?

Noticed this purely because the Netflix image is Bateman's face, and next to it was the same (younger) face for Arrested Development, which I loved. Been on the lookout for a binge worthy series. 

13 minutes ago, FozZ said:

So worth a punt then?

Noticed this purely because the Netflix image is Bateman's face, and next to it was the same (younger) face for Arrested Development, which I loved. Been on the lookout for a binge worthy series. 

Yep. Don't go in expecting comedy Bateman, though.

36 minutes ago, FozZ said:

So worth a punt then?

Absolutely. I've gone off TV almost entirely. But this show has reminded me there's nothing like returning to an ongoing story that's done in a classy way. It changes things every episode. It feels fulfilling because it's almost a full hour given there's no title sequence, or 'before on...' It just begins. Best use of music I've seen in a show for a while, it creeps up on scenes. 

I really like Bateman as a dramatic actor, I think he's a natural. Whether he has real variety in how he plays roles or not, you never catch him 'acting'. He just reacts to everything in the moment. Like, actors go through scenes in rehearsal to work out how to say lines and how, where to move and when, and with him it doesn't seem intended. I feel this way about actors sometimes in TV shows, like David Aceveda in The Shield. The actor is perfectly cast and very good in the type of role, but maybe too much, like he's going through the motions because he's so well trained in the craft of acting. And that's why people who've never acted before might be picked for roles, because of the naturalism they can bring. Comedians seem really good at doing dramatic roles whenever I see them try it. There's plenty of moments in this where you can see Bateman's character working a solution out in his head, and him and you are trying to figure out how much truth he can reveal.

I'd put the show on par with House of Cards*. Its tone and direction remind me of it. 

*before it prolonged things though. 

Cheers for the recommendation guys. Just watched the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it (as bleak and tense as it was) I can see lots of potential for this to get very good :)

Edit: 4 episodes down. Loving this! 

• 2 weeks later...

The show it most reminded me of was Bloodline due to the setting, didn't get much of a Breaking Bad feel apart from the drugs and crime, Marty was already a shithouse long before it. Speaking of which, Jason Bateman is my favourite on-screen dickhead, he was ace in The Gift too.

I couldn't watch Marty's interrogation by Del in the last episode, that and the dentist scene in Marathon Man are the lines of violence and gore that are a little too real for me to handle

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very late to season one on this, but blitzed through it last week and thought it was great.

Fortunate that I didn't know if there was a season two coming so kepy me guessing if it was a one shot deal.