IGNORED

Ozark - Jason Bateman, Laura Linney

Goose

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

It does have a recap.

odd, on a lot of shows the recap plays automatically when you start a new series, didn't on this and went straight into ep 1 of season 2 - had to look in the trailers section of the episode guid to find the recap.

Still love this. 

Watched up to episode 2 of season 2

Spoiler

I love how Ruth is almost in thrall to Marty, she becomes like a child asking for permission every time they speak. He has no time for anyone and is oblivious to how much Ruth looks up to him and desires the middle class comfortable life (even while he's getting involved in shady stuff to maintain it). She asks; 'i want to be a partner'. He simply says; 'no, that's never happening, i won't be blackmailed because of what you did for me'. Maybe you're supposed to also see it as Marty being the father she never had, but her attachment to him is less his personality but his professionalism, the responsibility and trust he's given her, which means nothing to him but means the world to her.

She's never had that opportunity, never had anyone not beat her confidence down. Maybe running a strup club is not a big deal but i thought it was, and for her it seemed massive. The show has the audience invested in this character now, you don't mind when she murders people to save Marty, -i never saw it as a betrayal of her family, it took courage- but with her dad's influence likely to loom over her there's gonna be instances of behaviour to please him, self destructive extreme behaviour. She's not ready to kill her father and kill the person she was. It's stopped being about the money for her. 

I love any show which introduces a character by saying; heh watch out he's a psychopath. Oh really? Thought he would shoot the dieing man (i don't know anyone's name) and say to Marty; what have you got to offer then? Cheesy or not. Breaking Bad had some of the best pre titles openings of any show, ep 2 was up there for shock and wondering; who are these? 

The new smartly dressed woman boss is great, already getting to see how she's being judged for her leniency. I did think; killing one of your own is fair deal for the guy you murdered? Won't they think; our guy was pretty top, yours was a redneck. And; we don't care. Compensate us with your money. The lazy security guard scene was ace. It just had to be extra offensive how he spoke. 

Any reason the show jumped from the expensive first meet with Wilkes to sex in a van? I was thinking; who are these? When was this? Is this a flashback? 

a few things i can't understand; her father is jealous, insecure, wants to control Ruth by violence..but back in prison i don't know how he will do that. 

Also...so are we supposed to believe Wilkes tested Linney, but did it really creepily? He was thinking long term, if she won't sell herself she has some principles at least. (Unless he's just too hideous for her to do it - i think she's just past doing that. The best instance of a broken relationship; Mardy asking her straight: so? Did you?)

How would it not be weird between them now? It has to be up there for reasons for most awkwardness.

Show is still Fincher like in its direction, mood, and music. Tried really hard to make the detective guy's return really sinister. 

55 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Still love this. 

Watched up to episode 2 of season 2

Hide contents

I love how Ruth is almost in thrall to Marty, she becomes like a child asking for permission every time they speak. He has no time for anyone and is oblivious to how much Ruth looks up to him and desires the middle class comfortable life (even while he's getting involved in shady stuff to maintain it). She asks; 'i want to be a partner'. He simply says; 'no, that's never happening, i won't be blackmailed because of what you did for me'. Maybe you're supposed to also see it as Marty being the father she never had, but her attachment to him is less his personality but his professionalism, the responsibility and trust he's given her, which means nothing to him but means the world to her.

She's never had that opportunity, never had anyone not beat her confidence down. Maybe running a strup club is not a big deal but i thought it was, and for her it seemed massive. The show has the audience invested in this character now, you don't mind when she murders people to save Marty, -i never saw it as a betrayal of her family, it took courage- but with her dad's influence likely to loom over her there's gonna be instances of behaviour to please him, self destructive extreme behaviour. She's not ready to kill her father and kill the person she was. It's stopped being about the money for her. 

I love any show which introduces a character by saying; heh watch out he's a psychopath. Oh really? Thought he would shoot the dieing man (i don't know anyone's name) and say to Marty; what have you got to offer then? Cheesy or not. Breaking Bad had some of the best pre titles openings of any show, ep 2 was up there for shock and wondering; who are these? 

The new smartly dressed woman boss is great, already getting to see how she's being judged for her leniency. I did think; killing one of your own is fair deal for the guy you murdered? Won't they think; our guy was pretty top, yours was a redneck. And; we don't care. Compensate us with your money. The lazy security guard scene was ace. It just had to be extra offensive how he spoke. 

Any reason the show jumped from the expensive first meet with Wilkes to sex in a van? I was thinking; who are these? When was this? Is this a flashback? 

a few things i can't understand; her father is jealous, insecure, wants to control Ruth by violence..but back in prison i don't know how he will do that. 

Also...so are we supposed to believe Wilkes tested Linney, but did it really creepily? He was thinking long term, if she won't sell herself she has some principles at least. (Unless he's just too hideous for her to do it - i think she's just past doing that. The best instance of a broken relationship; Mardy asking her straight: so? Did you?)

How would it not be weird between them now? It has to be up there for reasons for most awkwardness.

Show is still Fincher like in its direction, mood, and music. Tried really hard to make the detective guy's return really sinister. 

Really good questions, all I can say if you keep watching most of these will be answered, I'm up to episode 6 and really liking it, I was worried the 2nd series had the potential for being weak but it is far from that, it's just as impressive as the first, maybe a bit less dark humour because the stakes just seem to be getting higher.

Loved the first season.  Somehow watched without my wife so watching first Season again with her before going into the second.  Forgot how great it was in terms of cinematography and the performances.  Not sure Michael Bluth will ever get a character more suited to his style. 

On 04/09/2018 at 07:08, Nathan Wind said:

Peter Mullan is superb too. He always seems to fly under the radar but everything he does is absolute gold. 

Yep, sinister and menacing as fuck.  First film I saw him in was Tyrannosaur, great actor.

A lot of the casting for this has been superb. Some of the most convincing actors I've seen in a tv show. Darlene Snell is extremely convincing, and i genuinely wasn't sure the guy who played Russ Langmore was an established actor or someone they found. (really)

season 2 episode 3 watched

Spoiler

Kind of out of the blue idea from Wilkes, that he seemed so dead set on yet has no way of happening. Not sure what the point of going there was, because if he drops it now then it's not consistent. The stuff with Wyatt was great*, neat line to Marty's daughter (still don't know names) about the class difference between them. It was pretty cutting but she didn't seem to take it badly. *And general the show building up the Langmore history, trying to hinder Ruth's progress at every step. She's becoming quite resourceful and Marty is as short as ever. I guess Ruth's dad is somehow going to get away with a robbery despite showing his face. Maybe speaking too soon on that.

Jonah is starting to become like Carl in The Walking Dead, a too confident know it all kid who you wouldn't mind getting killed. Standing there as his parents tell him to go inside, volunteering to shoot deers with a rifle, honestly.

edit, same episode:

Spoiler

oh yeah where on earth did Darlene wanting a baby come from? A middle aged family member dies and despite being old and evil with little time they entertain this idea? Some odd curves early on in this season. Surely they'd just get a big dog. I really don't get it. Didn't she cut out the baby from a pregnant woman? Time has not passed since season 1 has it?

13 hours ago, Mars said:

Yep, sinister and menacing as fuck.  First film I saw him in was Tyrannosaur, great actor.

I only realised who he was this week. Also, Yaxley in Deathly Hallows, and the dad in Sunshine On Leith.

finished season 2 and its a good watch, though I do find it hard sometimes as its so unrelentingly bleak - the whole colour palette of the show is very muted and washed out and the story is totally free of any real distractions outside the main storyline.

not read anything about the creators but its good to see something trying to something a little different, from the cold start with no credits or music to the fat free straight ahead story telling.

things got ramped up to ludicrous levels this time round so be interesting to see where it goes next, as if they ramp it up further next time round it may be too much.

18 hours ago, VN1X said:

Just seen episode 5 of season 2 and this is just unrelentingly tense isn't it?

Proper laugh out loud at the line "I would get them quadruplets if that would get them to plow their field" from Marty. :lol:

Yeah I loved that line as well. Actually i wrote a post after that episode and mentioned that in it, but didn't finish it to put it up.

season 2 all watched now. Major spoilers, no one be tempted.

Spoiler

Didn't see the detective or Ruth's dad dieing by those who killed them. We got a lot of Ruth pulls shot gun on her dad scenes to make it seem that she might at least do it. I guess it'd ruin her arc if she did, and plunge her into a deeper crisis. We already see her sacrifice her relationship with Wyatt so he can go to college. Both interesting characters to make up for Cade's idiocy.

According to the writers it's a big deal that Wendy would order the murder of Cade. Yeah I guess it is, but the episode throws in handing a baby to Darlene. And Marty saying to Wendy; 'what can we do? Kill her?' To be honest, yes. Do that. It'd weigh more on my conscience to hand a baby to a psychopathic lonely woman than just to put her out of her misery. She hates life. They contrived that ending, setting it up for ages. Perhaps it was always there when Mason was left to bring up his baby alone. But more likely it came to them early this season. Oh, a baby, Darlene suddenly feels paternal because you offed a lackey nob she hangs around with, how about we kill Mason and contrive a way for the baby to be handed to Darlene. We can even have it so Marty kills Mason !

I still like the show. Obviously it ends if they leave Ozarc and live in Australia. But..does it? They could still come up with something where they're on the run and don't make it, making their situation worse, and having to launder money elsewhere for whatever reason. I mean..Wendy wanting to stay there, wtf?! Yeah the kids are in school and you can go back to doing the books, smiling with an optimism that ignores the scent of death following them everywhere. I mean, fucking hell i want to get away from Ozarc and i'm just passively watching it, they're supposed to be living it.

I'm bored of the place, and after two seasons they need to switch it up. It'll go the way of House of Cards too soon if they endlessly contrive for them to stay. I don't really want to watch season 3, as good as it is. A whole season of the Kansas City Mafia being their main opposition isn't something i want to watch really.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorta disappointed with Marty so far in season 2 (episode 6). He's quietly watching it all to let everyone have their moments, but he's the main draw. His cool under fire and always having the perfect retort are what created those sparkling moments in season 1 that managed to switch up tropes in really unexpected ways. It's enjoyable and tense but it's missing that frisson that season 1 had (so far).

Season 2 is all about Wendy. She’s adapted much better to the situation than Marty and she’s a very different person now. Laura Linney absolutely stole the show for me. Comparing Ozark to Breaking Bad is probably not ideal but she’s definitely veered off into something resembling Walter White.

Jason Bateman as Marty does a great job as someone who eventually just gets too far out of his comfort zone. Well, the facade of a comfort zone that only a one way relationship with a Mexican drug cartel can bring.

One thing I was thinking about today...

Ending spoiler:

Spoiler

They've killed Ruth's dad, not knowing that he killed the FBI agent. So that could maybe backfire on them somehow? With the actual killer out of the frame and forever unavailable for questioning, could the Byrdes get the murder somehow pinned on them? There's motive after all.

• 2 weeks later...