IGNORED

Ozark - Jason Bateman, Laura Linney

Goose

4 hours ago, MotiVater said:

Finished the 7 eps in one sitting last night, not sure I've ever done that much TV in a row but it was worth it. Fantastic TV, in every way.

Honestly, I'm on 4 and have been disappointed so far, there's been very little tension which is what I live for with this show. Hoping it'll return soon. (No spoilers please)

38 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Honestly, I'm on 4 and have been disappointed so far, there's been very little tension which is what I live for with this show. Hoping it'll return soon. (No spoilers please)

Marty microwaves a meal for ten seconds longer than the cooking instructions in episode five. It’s pretty hectic!

(I’m loving season four so far, think it’s moving the pieces into a number of interesting directions. Will finish the first seven tonight / tomorrow)

3 hours ago, Timmo said:

I'm not as into it as 3 but maybe i was just more in the mood for it at the time. I'd have to rewatch it. 

I think the dealing with big things from the previous season thing I have with second seasons applies to this. Watched 4 episodes so far:

Spoiler

Obviously they have to deal with Ben's death but I am sort of thinking; ah get on with it. They don't communicate with eachother well at all. But that's not new. 

Helen's death as well. The private investogator is an okay new character and injects something else into the show when you're just watching the same 8 characters interact endlessly. And is a way for others to appear too like Ben and Wendy's dad. 

Surprised the daughter told Helen's daughter that her mum was murdered, not sure a teenager is likely going to be able to deal with that especially when she can't talk to anyone about it. Then it ends with a threat like 'just because we weren't responsible for this doesn't mean we can't be if pushed'. What a way to keep someone onside. Why tell her? I don't get that.

It seems funnier, Ruth saying to the stupid gambler guy 'he was the first choice I swear' and Wyatt's stunned reaction to Darlene shooting the driver. At this point I am thinking...another dead body, no big deal, but for Wyatt and Ruth to just fall to the floor and console eachother is a reminder digging a grave for a body is a bit much for them. They're not cold blooded at all, not that I forget but they could easily transition and I like that it brought it back to reality. Like it probably needs Wyatt to think about Darlene and not just move on from it too. He's so easygoing he probably won't think about it. Wyatt does seem like a real person rather than a TV show character. 

Also funny was the restaurant scene where it plays on the tension of the cartel cousin having possibly changed the lorry route or flipping out when weapons are found. Marty's nonplussed smile. He doesn’t find it funny, he never gloats.

Season 4 episode 5

Spoiler

I don't think the '7 episodes is enough to feel like a season' works when it's not paced like two separate seasons. 

It's fun to watch the drug rebuying shenanigans with Ruth entering some heavy call of duty playing drug lair but it feels like something to writers can do in their sleep. Also funny watching Marty rob a gun from the frustratingly trigger happy hard man then surrender it seconds later. Mr Burns had more difficulty stealing his bear from Maggie.

The actress who plays Ruth will surely miss this role, she gets to swear at everyone and inject it all with a woundedness like she's not enjoying any of it. 

It's definitely knowingly funnier, 'oh my god, how many drug dealers do you know?!'

It'll be interesting to see how the private investogator dies, unless he's about to be killed by the cousin cartel guy and turns the situation around in a moment of surprise for the audience. Or just is casually walking across the road when a truck piles into him, that's more Ozarc's way isn't it. When he's pleading for a signature, did Marty never think; heh do any of you know what Helen's signature was like? Anyone catch that? 

The chills Ruth got when he says 'I don't care if anyone did anything wrong'. She is just alone with a stranger at night in her trailer. 

Season 5 episode 6

Spoiler

What part of Darlene being a psychopath do the characters in this show struggle to understand. She shoots people on a whim seconds after deciding they've insulted her, I guess everyone had the biggest facepalm watching Frank Cosgrove go over there and start shouting. The show is definitely leaning into how funny the inevitability of it is, despite Darlene limping. What did Frank think she was doing, getting a cup of tea?

ALSO DARLENE IS NOT WORTH GETTING YOUR MATE OVER TO PRACTISE LINES ON WITH ON HOW TO END THE RELATIONSHIP. SHE'S A PSYCHOPATH REMEMBER, SHE'LL PROBABLY SHOOT YOU. YOU JUST LEAVE WITHOUT TELLING HER. And really, would you want to tell your friends about dating Darlene. Again it's supposed to be funny and it's not like i want the show to ditch these characters but it becomes unrealistic with their desire to stay in the Ozarcs, especially when they're doing something illegal and spend all their time with a psychopath who murders people so easily.

Even Ruth telling Frank's son he's dead...yeah don't. Do that thing you want to do which would be leaving. He was a violent person and your involvement has led to this, in a way. You don't know how he will take it.

Also maybe Laura Linney needs to tone the smug cuntery, dear god, it's distracting drifting off imagining how satisfying her death would be. She also appears to not understand Darlene has no rules, she's spending whole episodes trying to not allow Darlene get one over her again. Her trying to get Jonah sent to prison and him finding out...i don't know how they're going to get him into that car without drugging him. 

I like Novarro being so arrogant and unmovable he's starting to come across dense. Marty saying 'you gonna tell me who he is then?' to Maya. He was in 24 wasn't he. Is it so easy to appeal to someone's ego that they overlook that you enjoying the death of cops is unrealistic. I didn't really buy cartel cousin believing that, although maybe he didn't.

fun enjoying it. only one episode to go. I want more action to be honest, just increase the tempo, put characters in situations. Jonah and Ruth drinking together...yeah.

This was hugely enjoyable and roll on Part 2. However, I thought episode 7 was quite confusing in places which was a shame. Perhaps I missed some key plot point or I'll have to wait till a yter comes out with an in depth explaination of the ending.

Spoiler

The main confusion for us was is Omah being set free or did the Byrde's double cross him, hence their threats to him at the end?? If he is being set free, then why the threats and him being dissappointed in them? Basically it's very unclear what actual deal has been done.

A second issue I have is the way Darlene and Wyatt went out. As I remember it her homestead should be pretty well guarded? Yet Javi seems able to saunter in alone? It just seemed off. Some little pointer towards maybe him having backup or getting rid of guards would be all it would take to seat that scene better, imo.

Julia Garner is fucking amazing in the last ep.

Spoiler

"If you want to stop me, you'll gonna have to fucking........KIIIIILL MEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!"

Gave me goosebumps. 

20 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

This was hugely enjoyable and roll on Part 2. However, I thought episode 7 was quite confusing in places which was a shame. Perhaps I missed some key plot point or I'll have to wait till a yter comes out with an in depth explaination of the ending.

Reveal hidden contents

The main confusion for us was is Omah being set free or did the Byrde's double cross him, hence their threats to him at the end?? If he is being set free, then why the threats and him being dissappointed in them? Basically it's very unclear what actual deal has been done.

A second issue I have is the way Darlene and Wyatt went out. As I remember it her homestead should be pretty well guarded? Yet Javi seems able to saunter in alone? It just seemed off. Some little pointer towards maybe him having backup or getting rid of guards would be all it would take to seat that scene better, imo.

Yeah, I finished this last night and am similarly unclear on the first point. I think

Spoiler

he is going free, or at least to prison in Mexico where it presumably will be a more comfortable life for him. I think he was disappointed in them due to their belief that he'll kill their kids, even though he knew exactly where they were hiding out, in the crypt with the shotgun. I just like the fact that he's sealed off as a character now, he shouldn't pose harm to the Byrdes as his kids will lose everything.

Other thought here - why would Javi accept the deal with the FBI? "Oh right, my uncle was a rat? Grand, I'll get in on this action as I am a totally rational character"

On the second point:

Spoiler

It looked like Javi was alone in the house with Zeke when they were coming in - how did that happen? Maybe we're missing a short scene where Javi took out a babysitter. You are right though - that place should have some heavies around guarding the operation.

That said - I'm happy to see the end of Darlene and Wyatt. I was so over that story and also Darlene's psycho way of throwing spanners in the works every single time. Ruth going into vengeance mode is also a good result.

Overall, it was alright. I enjoyed it but it feels like the end is in sight and they're willing to just put the pieces together to get it over the line. I feel like we have at least one or two massive story/character leaps to come.

Speaking of what is to come next:

Spoiler

When do we get to see the flash forward play out (the car crash) - too obvious to be right at the very end and it also removes any tension from the show if that's the case. I think they'll need to show us that scene at the start of the next half season. Marty gets amnesia and needs to remember the numbered accounts or Javi makes Charlotte his wife 😛

Season 4 Episode 7

Spoiler

Yeah Javi doing a deal with the fbi made no sense to me, i'd have thought that's the last thing he'd ever do, it only made sense for Navarro because it was the only way for him to move freely from Mexico and the US and live a normal life. He was reluctant all the way through, not giving anything.

Yeah Julia Garner was extraordinary, I wonder what it's like to be an actor close up to that, you'd have to be pretty unnerved by it. You think...how cold is Javi, will he kill a baby. No...just leave it there.

Got to be up for an emmy or something with that performance, where they show clips as the actors are sat down happy and it's like, where have you channelled all that rage and deep turmoil from?

The car crash...didn't everyone think the episode would end with that? Or is that why they did it? To surprise you even more with Maya. But if that's how the entire show ends...with them all dieing...yeah. And they showed it first so it's less abrupt and cheap when it eventually happens? I don't know why they did it, i think the crash is shown in the season trailer briefly so i wasn't surprised by it, and it's the first moments anyway where you're not quite ready. It's not like you're so taken back by how everything seems wrapped up in the car, it's before we've seen Jonah become disillusioned with his family. Nor does it seem to make sense that Marty is driving in the correct lane and a truck (which don't overtake) is coming right at him? He takes his eyes off the road, he doesn't swerve into the other lane. Of course that truck could have swerved into the wrong lane, somehow, or the driver...paid..to do..it.

With Darlene...maybe we're to assume they just popped out for a moment and left Zeke on his own. ...i doubt they're up on what you should and shouldn't do with a baby. I don't recall a baby being shown this season either? I didn't think there would be heavies around the house, we see Darlen and Wyatt move around there all the time and there's never anyone shown. It'd be silly i think to see that now. It feels rushed but the writers just wanted it to be sudden i guess. Was shocking to see Wyatt be brutally shot with a 'whoever you are'. It feels undeveloped that this majoy story line really of Darlene continuing to grow and sell heroin in cartel areas was established very early as THE problem for Navarro/Marty, they told Darlene, she didn't listen, nothing happened for 6 episodes then Javi returns and is like; you didn't listen. There was no tension there after that. Ruth forgets and we forget that rather than the mob that Wyatt would be in danger from the cartel. Ruth was there when Marty told her 'don't get yourself killed'.

Probably not enough time for Ruth to find out who was responsible for Zeke going to be taken away and then that be the reason Wyatt needed to stay, but then he admitted he didn't want to leave anyway. Just if she'd have known that, or discovered that while pointing that shotgun at Wendy...well...i hope when the camera zooms in on the crashed car there's lots of sharp metal scything Wendy and Jonah just slips out unharmed and runs off into the forest. Although he has become annoying too. Post credits scene where he's eaten by a bear or something. I don't know, i dislike ending reveals when the whole joy of tv shows is you never know where they will go. I am waiting for the crash.

Watching the trailer again, it gives away Darlene's and Wyatt's fate. Also Marty on the floor with a gun point at him. The truck carrying guns actually a rigged bomb. Darlene shooting the driver. Wyatt digging a grave with Darlene watching. I could go on. It gives away a lot. Even Ruth's scream in Marty and Wendy's house!

The private investigator is another thing that feels underdeveloped. There's still time and he added something but there were a lot of scenes that so far has led to nothing. He's not a threat.

This is not a spoiler btw, of anything, but for people up to date with the show...i made the mistake after watching a few episodes of this season of casually mentioning when watching the man united game on reddit that i stopped watching ozarc to watch this (crap) game and someone replied

Spoiler

I am still watching Ozark, Marty's son just got killed by the cartel so now you are caught up.

My heart sank. I was 2 episodes in.

Spoiler

I saw the car crash! I thought eventually...he's got to be lieing. But i've read Game of Thrones spoilers before, think of the most major events...yeah. They had the same bluntness about them. One so blunt i didn't even understand it.

I replied

Spoiler

Why would you say that? What is wrong with you?

he replied

Spoiler

Ha ha ha ha, don't stress dude, I am pulling your leg, I am only 2 episodes in, I have no idea what happens.

So...i...replied...

Spoiler

Ah okay. I'm on the final season, i just thought after the cartel killed the daughter in season 3 that also killing the son would be too much.

just...so he knows how it feels. Too much? Then...

Spoiler

that spoiler btw, not true.

Though it was fine, lesson learned, don't ever casually mention you're watching a tv show on the internet. I even downloaded the show despite using Netflix because i don't want to see screenshots and episode descriptions. The trailer i watched briefly. Avoiding everything on the next one. Even Aaron Bastani on twitter saying 'just finished Ozarc, wow Marty is a genius!' made me overthink what he might do that's so inspired, like something unbelievable. Really, this season, he's calm and er, nothing's a problem for him. He doesn't do much clever things.

I was so spellbound by Julia Garner’s performance in that episode that I didn’t even question any of the other stuff. She’s been amazing throughout the entire four season run, but ep7 was brilliant.

Just read she already has 2 emmys for Ozarc. It's such an interesting relationship she has with Marty, the way she's permanently wounded and lets lose to everyone because she's on the defence, and dieing to be cared for. You spent most scenes of her just wanting someone to give her a hug. She's always been emotional but all through this season it's been heavy.

Spoiler

Her 'of course i fucking will' to Marty when he says to check the house in the morning and take the kids safe. Marty has always been obliviousness to her admiration for him, her feeling Marty in his casual way trusted her and gave her a chance when no one else had ever done that before. She's never forgotten it. The show also has Maya admiring Marty too, albeit i think less convincingly. Ruth is one of the great tv show characters and the great performances, like Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman in Breaking Bad, perfect casting, always an emotional edge to all her line delivery.

ha just seen this

'Wow...that is...something' is so Marty. I'd like a prank show to create some convincing situation that might make anyone become hysterical and scared and set it up on Jason Bateman to see how he reacts.

That isn't a joke, I'm curious. Maybe there has been something already, I'll check. 

Season 4 episode 1

Spoiler

I'm still confused by the crash. When do trucks overtake? What's going slower than a truck for a truck driver to think 'I just can't take this speed anymore!'? On a busy road where's the logic? With the size, lack of acceleration, it's so illogical to me I'm 5% thinking it was a dream and that making no sense is a clue. 

The truck is far away from the car it's supposed to be overtaking like it's just been planted there. Why make it a truck if Marty swerves anyway to avoid collision? Because a truck is more imposing and cinematic? 

I've been searching 'trucks overtaking' because I've never seen it. Found this

Edit: and what do you know, this

NEVER MIND EVERYONE IT HAPPENS OF COURSE IT HAPPENS. PEOPLE + THING THAT SHOULDN'T BE ATTEMPTED = ATTTEMPT MADE. BECAUSE. 

2:50 into that video. wtf. that weather. come on. 

Season 4 episode 7 theory...

Spoiler

The car crash again...I read a theory it's them faking their deaths. I just can't get over a truck overtaking, that it's far away from the car it's supposed to be overtaking and it's a busy road. Which all could just be poor direction. Somehow more unbelievable a big lorry would try to overtake than set up your fake death by planning a lorry to drive on to your lane and force you off the road rather than just..drive off the road anyway...

I need new episodes asap

The mention of the fbi prevents it being a random crash before events in the show. When else would they meet with the fbi? Jonah being moody can be read now as him hating his parents, but he could just be down that day. The Blue Cat wall is...? 

why does the lorry even beep so early giving them a warning if it's deliberate? arrrghhh

here's another viewpoint on the crash 

Screenshot_20220129-145325_Reddit.thumb.jpg.d59c50ef629396c42ec0143932891390.jpg

yeah I read that a few times to work it out. 

What about...episode 8 starts with the same conversation inside the car but there is no oncoming truck, it's just...not there. Charlotte is like; 'watch out!' and Marty turns to see a clear road ahead and is like 'what? what?!' Charlotte swears she can see a truck and they try to calm her down and eventually she's sectioned into an asylum because she's unstable. 

I don't like flash forwards. This is Lost territory guessing. No one wants to guess, they force you by inserting something like that in there straight away that's too lame to be the ending but we've had no closure with yet. 

Well, I liked a lot of stuff in those episodes, as everyone else has said, Julia Garner’s performance is the clear highlight and is so consistently spectacular. Overall though I feel like it continues the downward trajectory of the show, and a lot of the tension that made it so gripping in the first season is totally gone now.

Spoiler

I don’t understand why they would show us that car crash. It completely strips all the tension out of so many scenes this season. At least when Solo pretended they were going to kill Han and Chewie it was ruined by a different movie. Why show that then have scenes like the one in the last episode where Javi has the gun on Marty? We know he’s not going to die, it’s boring. The choice to put that crash in ruins numerous scenes throughout the season, and it already feels a bit like the main family have an absurd level of plot armour. In principle I’m not against them telling us that they’ll survive, but don’t stack it full of scenes that rely on us worrying about their safety.

I’m also in the camp who are a bit confused about who knew what, and who did what when with Omar. It’s all a bit vague but the plot relies on it heavily. Too many interesting plot lines just end with someone getting shot and then there’s no fallout from it. The sheriff plot just petered out. The detective didn’t go anywhere yet.

Ultimately I think if you’re going to split something in half, you need to make sure both halves are satisfying on their own, and this didn’t feel like it was. I really hope we get to the car crash very early on in the next batch of episodes. If I didn’t care so much about Ruth I’m not sure how fussed I would even be about the ending.

I think that what frustrates me about Ozark is the level of quality is so high in the performances, the framing and camera work, and the writing of individual scenes. The writers are so good at creating moment to moment tension. I’m always enjoying it in the moment, but when we episode or season ends I’m left disappointed. The weakness of the overall plot stops it short of being one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, and that’s a real shame. 

I'd agree with most of that. Personally, I deeply suspect that episode 7 was part-hobbled by either the producers or its director or both. To me it seems a stretch that writers who have shown such consistency (imo) would leave such confusing storyline issues. Therefore, I suspect that some of the writers intentions were cut up slightly and clarity was lost. In the heat of production, where everyone knows the exact meaning of things anyway, plot issues creeping in can go unnoticed, though that doesn't excuse it on a production of this scale.

Spoiler

Regarding the car accident, my first reaction was that this was the end of the Byrde's surely because of the severity. However, my girlfriend pointed out that she'd witnessed a similar crash and everyone inside actually stumbled out. So :wacko:

Didn't mean to, but ended up binging the 7 episodes in 2 days.  It's both Ridiculous and great at the same time, but I feel it definitely right to end the show after the next part.

Along with what you guys have said with confusing narrative, there is also some really odd scenes in this season which makes you wonder what was the point in them.  Usually 10-20 second scenes of pointless dialogue or staring.

Wendy is as vicious and angry as usual as well.

This was certainly a puzzling and unsatisfying way to end a show when the internet said this was definitely the final season, and you didn't know it had been chopped in two.

Only found out just now from this thread.

13 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Didn't mean to, but ended up binging the 7 episodes in 2 days.  It's both Ridiculous and great at the same time, but I feel it definitely right to end the show after the next part.

Along with what you guys have said with confusing narrative, there is also some really odd scenes in this season which makes you wonder what was the point in them.  Usually 10-20 second scenes of pointless dialogue or staring.

Wendy is as vicious and angry as usual as well.

Wendy has become unbearable. To the point where I thought Marty might actually try to get rid of her. Mother and Sister of the year right there. 

Really enjoyed it but as others have said the final episode was very confusing and overly contrived. It’s definitely time to end it. I hope Part 2 is a fitting finale. All in all probably still my favourite Netflix show. 

9 hours ago, El Geet said:

Wendy has become unbearable. To the point where I thought Marty might actually try to get rid of her. Mother and Sister of the year right there. 

Really enjoyed it but as others have said the final episode was very confusing and overly contrived. It’s definitely time to end it. I hope Part 2 is a fitting finale. All in all probably still my favourite Netflix show. 

Wendy being a complete and utter bitch and Marty being completely passive has gone a bit too far to say the least!

14 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Wendy being a complete and utter bitch and Marty being completely passive has gone a bit too far to say the least!

Hang on a minute. Marty asked her what she was doing and I think may even have dropped an f bomb.

Bateman is brilliant though with an incredibly subtle performance. He is practically monotone yet manages to say so much with the vaguest hint of expression and, if it’s a big deal, the tiniest of glances. I used to think it’s the only way Marty can hold it together and keep the plates spinning but he’s clearly emotionally stunted. 

35 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Hang on a minute. Marty asked her what she was doing and I think may even have dropped an f bomb.

Bateman is brilliant though with an incredibly subtle performance. He is practically monotone yet manages to say so much with the vaguest hint of expression and, if it’s a big deal, the tiniest of glances. I used to think it’s the only way Marty can hold it together and keep the plates spinning but he’s clearly emotionally stunted. 

Ah yes, that one F Bomb finally came out. 🤣

Sorry if it's been pointed out already, but anyone notice the hilarious production error in s4 episode 1 (around 30m 47s in)? I'm sure trying to add some exposition in post-production caused this, but I can think over 100 better ways to edit round this than what they actually did.

21 hours ago, ckny said:

Care to elaborate?

Sticking a static JPEG image of Jason Bateman (with that expression) next to Laura Linney whilst she delivers the exposition is one of the oddest (and hilarious) production choices I've seen in a long time.