Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Robocop (1987)

On 22/02/2019 at 12:05, SeanR said:

nope

also:

https://youtu.be/H-y1PAUtv3k?t=139

Mind blown! 

In that TV edit clip Boddicker swerves to avoid “that guy out of ER who’s all melted”, you get to see the car avoiding him as well as Boddicker steering the car out of the way, yet in the original Boddicker smashes into him

This isn’t just a TV edit of the existing footage, it’s completely different footage from the film. I take it that they filmed alternative versions of some of the scenes with a TV friendly cut in mind (or maybe they thought it wouldn’t get past the censors, so filmed an alternative just in case)?

There's some alternate takes in different versions, that being one of them. There's some other alternate takes with no, or far fewer, bloody bullet impacts on various people.

The non-TV version you see these days is likely to not even be the original theatrical cut, which had stuff toned down to get an R rating, but a more violent unrated cut originally released by Criterion.

On 17/07/2017 at 22:55, Harsin said:

That poster was and always will be incredible. It annoys me every time there's a re-release and some wanker in the graphic design department thinks they can do better.

89781_large.jpg

No.

81cKvk+DotL._SY445_.jpg

No!

9942806-1309363494-521597.jpg

Now you're just taking the piss.

There's now an Arrow release that has a reversible sleeve.

robo-reverse.thumb.jpg.c093c780d37cfd7c5aeae6750c8cd014.jpg

Admittedly, it comes in another cardboard sleeve with the following image on it, but at least they seem to have put some sort of effort in. Kind of has an Indiana Jones/Star Wars vibe to it.

robo-limited.thumb.jpg.6f48da8bffc642692e4f8b2dc1bf3e8e.jpg

• Upvote 2

It’s this version of the Arrow blu-ray you need:

2C6A32C1-85A9-4EC8-8018-7A6BB53A6B93.thumb.jpeg.071666dfb410cf44514c9dc24cad7f6f.jpeg

Usually I’m not a fan of steelbooks but in this case it works gloriously. 

• Upvote 6

Heh, there was a little kerfuffle over that art initially - it seems the artist had used an action figure as reference, and accidentally painted part of the stand in between the legs :D

Nope, not as far as I can tell. A bit frustrating as the Arrow bluray release is taken from a 4k scan of the movie.

Robocop 2 gets a bad rep.

I mean, it's genuinely nasty and OTT - but in a glorious late 80's/early 90's way.

I maybe prefer it to the first one.

Robocop 2 is a parody.  I mean it's OK but not a patch on the original.

We won't speak about Robocop 3. 

Robocop 2 was probably the most anticipated sequel of my childhood.

I remember enjoying it when it came out because it was more Robocop and it had a scene where Robocop goes into an arcade and smashes some guys face in a Bad Dudes cabinet. But even then I realised it was vastly inferior to the original. They took all the superficiality of the first one and ignored its depth and wit. And why did they not use Basil Poledouris' music? 

I've never seen part 3. No Peter Weller and a PG rating? No thanks.

The original is definitely in the top ten best action films of 80s and for my money is Paul Verhoeven's best American film and probably his best film period. 

On 18/07/2017 at 08:55, Commander Jameson said:

You are going to be a bad MOTHER CRUSHER!

I’ve seen the ITV 2 in the afternoon edit way more often than the theatrical cut, it’s basically canon as far as I’m concerned. 

“Die, you blagger!”

• Upvote 2

"Does it hurt? does it hurt?" Was a big taunt when me and my brother would fight as kids.

• Upvote 2

Anyone got a link to the steel case Blu-ray?

I spent hours staring at that poster in the 80s.

It had so much depth. Amazing scenes 

Robocop was never that deep, guys.

Aside from 2-3 body horror moments, the most memorable social satire stuff is in the sequel.

The R2 game on Amiga was better than the original too.

Robocop 3 and tv series never happened.

Do ITV show a TV edit or something? I'm sure the ED-209 in the boardroom scene was much more violent than the one they've just shown. Like, 100's of squibs popping. 

I didn't see what version was shown on ITV4 but there are two versions. The 'normal' one and a longer version, that I *think* appeared as an extra / alternative scene.

The rest of the film that's on now looks like the standard, unedited version, so I'm guessing they showed the shorter version of the boardroom scene.

directors cut has the stupidly long boardroom ED-209 shooting, that was cut to please the US Censors.

• Upvote 1

The scene in the boardroom was heavily cut at the request of the censors, which famously made the film more violent. In the version we all saw at the cinema (alright on a pirate VHS, we were 12) Ed209 kills the guy during the demonstration. In the uncut version (which seems to be the standard one you get in all rereleases now although it was originally Criterion) the guy is shot to smithereens for about 20 seconds until there is surely nothing left of him but blood and guts on the table.  Then somebody says "someone called a goddamn paramedic" which is meant to be a funny line because there's obviously nothing left of the guy.

Also the scene where Murphy is killed by Clarance's gang was massively cut for the original release and reinstated for the Criterion DVD.  In the commentary Paul Verhoeven talks about the story of Murphy mirroring the story of Jesus Christ, and he explains how he wanted the death and resurrection to be as harsh as crucifixion. You wouldn't believe RoboCop's determination to bring his killers to justice if they didn't subject him to the most gratuitous torture. But again the violence in the movie is massively over the top deliberately and by editing it that ridiculous comic level of violence is chopped down to just violence, and the edited film is harsher as a result. 

If you watch the uncut versions you can see a small difference in the picture quality in the scenes that we reinstated so you can tell what was cut out and what was left in.

• Upvote 6

That version mentioned above, is the one i saw on Netflix recently. The boardroom scene is way bloodier than anyother version id seen up to that point.

22 minutes ago, McFly said:

That version mentioned above, is the one i saw on Netflix recently. The boardroom scene is way bloodier than anyother version id seen up to that point.

I hopped on to take a look and... this is a fucking disaster:

image.thumb.png.72a67ab76185336f5df137e32822ebca.png

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I think the most unfortunate cut is the removal of the shot of Murphy just before he gets the final blow to the head from Boddicker. They built and fully animated this insanely detailed and lifelike animatronic of Weller for that, but you only catch a very short glimpse of it in the theatrical version. It’s a good thing that just about every physical and digital copy of the film available right now is the unrated cut though. 

See, he loses the entire right arm in the long uncut version, shot off in stages. In the “theatrical“ cut you only see the hand go. And then it comes and goes in the messy edit.

which also makes the later line, about saving the left arm, seem weird.

The way you're describing it, I'm not sure I've seen the uncut version. I had a 2004 DVD with the director's cut so I assume it's that.