rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sledge

The Big Sick

Just back from seeing this. Found it somewhat reminiscent of Boomerang (probably more down to the family-around-the-dinner-table scenes than anything else), albeit less slick & OTT and with more heart. Recommended if you've had your fill of blockbusters, though with one proviso (plot spoiler follows)...

Spoiler

Trope alert! The male lead self-actualises due to the female lead being in a coma... for quite a lot of the film. It is not done without some sense of self-awareness and is, y'know, based on a true story hence there can't have been much wiggle-room, but I imagine it could rub some people up the wrong way. Personally I reckon there have to be some films that cover this ground, and the ones that do it well are worth our time, even if they are bobbing atop a sea of lazy shite.

Anyway, totally charming with a great cast (including a pitch-perfect Holly Hunter). Really enjoyed this one :)

Been looking forward to seeing this for months. One of the few non star wars films I'll be going too see at the cinema.

Really not sure why this is so universally praised. It gains some bonus points for being a true-ish story but otherwise it's just an identikit bloated Apatow-'em-up. 6/10 all day long. 

On 15/09/2017 at 22:49, Yobo Ahoy said:

Really not sure why this is so universally praised. It gains some bonus points for being a true-ish story but otherwise it's just an identikit bloated Apatow-'em-up. 6/10 all day long. 

I think it gets praised because most people are not completely dead inside.

2 hours ago, Haribokart said:

I think it gets praised because most people are not completely dead inside.

Bollocks. The response in no way marries with the material. It is a perfectly ok and serviceable rom com heightened slightly by the race angle. It is a nice enjoyable movie. It's in no way a shining example of the genre.

You're a hard man to please Kerraig. Rom com is far from my favourite genre, but this was the most enjoyable one I've seen in many a year. I'm not a big fan of Apatow either but I think that this is by far the best of the films that he's been evolved in. This just really got me emotionally. 

On 26/02/2018 at 00:25, kerraig UK said:

Bollocks. The response in no way marries with the material. It is a perfectly ok and serviceable rom com heightened slightly by the race angle. It is a nice enjoyable movie. It's in no way a shining example of the genre.

Please share a few shining examples of the genre. I would like to watch them. Cheers.

On 2/26/2018 at 01:02, Bazjam said:

You're a hard man to please Kerraig. Rom com is far from my favourite genre, but this was the most enjoyable one I've seen in many a year. I'm not a big fan of Apatow either but I think that this is by far the best of the films that he's been evolved in. This just really got me emotionally. 

Ah yeah I agree it's the best one in a long time. I just think that says more about the competition than it does this film. It's a really good film, don't get me wrong. But it's no When Harry Met Sally or The Apartment or Trust or Cyrano De Bergerac or Bringing Up Baby or Ninotchka or Philadelphia Story or Punch Drunk Love. 

In my opinion of course

That's some pretty high watermarks you're comparing it against, but agreed it's not quite to that standard. I still think it's a very good film though. A high 4 out of five from me.

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

That's some pretty high watermarks you're comparing it against, but agreed it's not quite to that standard. I still think it's a very good film though. A high 4 out of five from me.

Oh yeah defo. I just wish Hollywood would remember how to make good films again. We should be getting 3 or 4 Big Sick's a year.

• Upvote 1