How do you like Final Fantasy XIV? (Maybe compared with WOW?)

Good evening everybody,

Just now, before I even realized, i just downloaded a trial for FF XIV. Perhaps I just missed the old days playing WOW with my friends. But I have to say it is a shame to play an MMO on MAC. Also, knowing nobody, I can't feel the old passion and excitement for exploration. I wonder if any of you is or was playing FF XIV and how do you like it. Compared with WOW, is it a game worth my time?

Thank you all.

Well, it depends. Wow is my mmo of choice, so everything else either feels like a pale imitation, or has decent ideas but isn't a better game overall to make me give up on what is now 12 years of investment. 

I also really disliked FFXIV. 

• Upvote 1

I couldn't understand how it worked or what I had to buy or how to pay for a subscription. There are about four different discs, trials on the store and whatever else, but none of them tell you what it will cost you to subscribe and I'm not wasting 40GB downloading or installing what might be an obsolete version. 

It's a shame because I liked FFXI and would love to give it a go.

• Upvote 1

In short, I love it on PS4. I played WoW for approx. 10 years with many people from this very forum and I have very, very fond memories of it, probably the best gaming memories of my life, but at the time time I am completely done with it. Oversaturated squared.

I am not familiar with the restrictions of the trial version, but if you are allowed send a Friend Request to Kunigunde Berowalt on the Moogle server. You should know that all platforms - PC, Mac, PS4 - share the same worlds and servers. Moogle, the server I am on, is very busy to the point where in the evening there can be a very short queue and it's great :) A lively community with an active market place.

There is a ton of stuff to say about this, so if you have specific questions, ask.

• Upvote 2

I started a couple of months back on PS4. I really liked it up until level 50 (the cap in the base game) - and bought Heavensward.

I'd been warned that you needed to finish the main story quest line before you could go onto the expansion, but hadn't been prepared for what a boring grind it would be. I should stress that obviously if you were playing it at the time then it was probably quite cool - new content being released in each end game patch and a lot to do in each, but for someone like me trying to catch up it was dull and they don't even try and hide the grind. An average evening saw me talking to someone, being sent all the way across the map to somewhere with no teleport to talk to some else, then having to go back to the original person to pass on their answer, then going somewhere else with no teleport to talk to someone, then back again, then sat in a queue for 20 minutes for a trial. For which, you'd get next to no experience so I wasn't even getting a head start on the grind to 60. 

And that basically soured me on the whole game - I moved onto the expansion, played up to the third area, level 54 but the shit quest design which purposefully wastes your time in pointless travel time and grinds (keep getting quests to kill the same bloody mobs in that Chocobo forest) got on my nerves so I stopped.

Whilst still pre-ordering the latest expansion and keeping a running subscription. That'll show them. 

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, bobontheway said:

The product page of the website makes it pretty clear what is contained in each version and spells out the subscription models.
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

Is that a joke? That site lists about 15 versions with confusing descriptions, 3 currencies and then lists the sub prices monthly instead of in the amounts you actually pay. It's a total mess.

• Upvote 2

Right now the servers are backed up with the sudden arrival of new player and returning player interested in the DLC, this makes logging in a pain in the ass. the game play and graphics are fairly sweet and players on Phoenix and Odin servers all seem friendly enough ^_^ I kicked my Wow addiction not long after Legion came out and I returned to FFXIV (I often switch between MMO's) 

Seriously, look at this shit. I calculate that it costs about £45 for a six month sub if you buy six months worth, but about £30 if you want to buy three months? Is that right? And If I wanted to start now I should buy the Collectors edition? Can I play with the standard one? What am I missing? What are Heavensward and Stormblood? If I buy a PS4 disc with one of those things written on it what do I get? Do second hand discs work? Is a sub required? Any game which requires this much research is going to get ignored by most people.

xiv.png.b302c772253eca3afb3990741a4c9a65.png

For those confused by the different versions, there are 3 names to be aware of:

Final Fantasy IXV Online

Final Fantasy IXV Online Heavensward. This is Expansion Pack 1

Final Fantasy IXV Online Stormblood. This is Expansion Pack 2

Those come in different version and packages, such as Collector's Editions.

If you just want to try the full version of the game, please go for FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Starter Edition costing less than 10 quid. This offers a metric ton of content, there is absolutely no need for you to purchase any of the Expansion Packs at this point.

• Upvote 2
Just now, Doctor Shark said:

Locking the content of expansion packs unless you've completed the base game story is a massive barrier to entry for new people. What a ridiculous concept. 

Yeah, that is one of the things the game does wrong: going through the Main Story Quest is mandatory. You can buy Heavensward and not have access to it unless you reach level 50 and have finished the MSQ.

So it's actually kind of pointless to buy the collector version or the expansions at the start, you'd be better off going for the base game and not wasting cash on content you'll literally never see if you don't love the initial stuff.

Precisely. The way wow does it is that if you buy the base game, you get world of Warcraft (2005-2007), The Burning Crusade (2007-2008), Wrath of the Lich King (2008-2010), Cataclysm (2010-2012), Mists of Pandaria (2012-2014) and Warlords of Draenor (2014-2016) as part of the package, and it costs about £10 - it's an embarrassment of riches. Then you just have the new expansion, Legion, to buy separately.

As part of legion you can instantly boost a character to level 100 to play the new content, and you can buy more boosts after that, should you wish to. You don't need to complete any of the previous expansion's storylines before you can move to the next one, you just need to get to the requisite level and follow a quest i.e. as soon as you hit level 58, you can move to the burning crusade content, as soon as you hit 68 you can go to the wrath of the Lich king content and so on - even if you've not completed every quest, every zone, every raid etc. So, whilst the prospect of grinding out 110 levels as a brand new player must seem daunting, it's a much less harsh barrier to entry than forcing you to complete everything. 

• Upvote 1

The XIV story is brilliant and how it weaves in old story threads is top notch, not up to the standard of Chains of Promathia but then nothing is. 

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to who has played this and WoW for any significant time always comments on how much better the storyline is in XIV. 

For the ADHD kiddies you can buy a levelling and storyline skip if you really want to crack on with the new expansion. 

• Upvote 1

Is the story actually brilliant or is it "brilliant for an MMO"? So does it give you quests to go out and kill x amount of y creature?

Everyone said this about The Old Republic and the story was a lot better than WoW granted but it was still an MMO and falls so far short of the good stories in top RPGs.

SWTORs class stories were brilliant, but built around the trappings of a typical mmo. FFXIV is no different in that respect. It's an mmo. It plays like an mmo. If that perpetual grind doesn't appeal, you probably won't get much from it, really. 

For me, playing wow outside of the raids or organised PvP is kind like the gaming equivalent of watching TV in the background: I can totally zone out playing it, not have to think about it, watch something on netflix etc. It's only really during raids where I have to pay attention, but that's because I've played it for 12 years and know it inside out. It's gaming comfort food. 

IGN also thought the story was a bit good. 

Worse things happen in Stormblood, the latest expansion for the MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV, but cruel moments sculpt the overarching narrative into one of the finest stories of the brutality of war and tyranny since The Witcher 3. It bravely ventures into places where brightly colored fantasy epics like this too often fear to tread, such as sad villages where the locals tremble at the thought of resisting oppressors who've abused them for more than two decades. It shows us traitors who've deluded themselves into believing they're fighting for the same reason as freedom-minded rebels.

I really wanted to get on with XIV, but there were a couple of major issues for me. The lesser of the two was that I found tanking to be incredibly dull. Constantly spamming flash to keep aggro, followed by pressing 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 3 -> 2 -> 3 -> 1 and so on...

The more pressing issue I have, and I feel this is just unforgivable for an MMO, is the amount of times it segregates you from everyone else to do the next part of your MSQ. I play MMOs with the missus, so having to level my sub-class first to play a paladin down the line later, just so we could start in the same area was hardly ideal. And then, to spend a fair amount of time not even interacting with each other. We may as well have been playing separate games.

I will admit, the story writers are MUCH better than Blizzard's. Heavensward's story was great. 

I skip every single cutscene since I reached level 20. They are of an embarrassing low quality with PlayStation 1 era over-exaggerated animations, hardly any voice-over and no automated conversations. Read, press X, read, press X, read, press X, see character doing a silly animation that is probably hilarious if you are of Japanese origin, read, press X.

The player only instanced fights are very few and far between though. I'm not sure what the issue could be with that. 

As as for your first issue, yea, PLD seemed to get dicked on in Heavensward. Stormblood seems have made up for it. 

I really liked FFXIV. The world is fantastic, the story is pretty engaging for an MMO (and gets dramatically better as you progress through the game), the different jobs are fun to play around with and it's a pretty solo-friendly game.

The only thing I didn't like was the multiplayer dungeons - they're brilliantly designed but I found them incredibly stressful, especially playing as a tank.  You pretty much need to know exactly what to do before you go in, which takes a lot of the fun out of things, and even then if you're not completely on point then your team can get very frustrated with you.  (You might be doing the dungeon for the first time for the story, but everyone is probably running it for the hundredth time for the daily roulette, and just wants to get it over with).  This is taken to its extreme with the final two dungeons of the main story, which are punctuated with cut-scenes that absolutely no-one ever gets the chance to watch because if you do, all your team-mates will have just run on to the next area by the time you're done.  You end up racing through the dungeons and then watching the cut-scenes privately afterwards.  As the culmination of a 100-hour storyline, that's pretty shit design.

I'm currently playing Elder Scrolls Online, which while I don't think is anything like as good as FFXIV overall, still has a lot to recommend it: it's completely soloable, multiplayer stuff is there if you want it but never forced upon you, and every quest has an actual little storyline rather than just being to collect 12 boar testicles or whatever.  I find ESO relaxing and enjoyable to play whereas FFXIV often stressed me out quite a lot.

I as a tank always watch a video of the dungeon I am about to be introduced to. I like going in blind, what I do not like is wasting the time of three randoms. Nothing is fun about a tank dying due to mechanics he/she is not familiar with. That is not too say I am not dying sometimes (Titan says hi) but when I die I know what I did wrong.

I started playing the free trial a couple of weeks ago & it grabbed me so much that I've bought the complete edition with both expansions & am settled in for the months & months of grind ahead. There's a mind-boggling amount of content there now after 4 years & 2 full expansions. The whole thing feels incredibly polished & sumptuous & they've done a phenomenal job of resurrecting it from the ashes of the clusterfuck that by all accounts it was when it was first released.

I've started playing Elder Scrolls Online recently too & although quite different that's been an enjoyable experience too. Really don't have time to dedicate to both but I'm leaning towards FFXIV for the long haul as it seems like the more interesting & engaging of the two & from what I've read has a deeper endgame.

I'd never touched an MMO before but I kind of wish I'd got into into it sooner as it's a nice relaxing thing to play in the evening as I listen to podcasts or whatever.