Bastards!!

The Shadow

This is probably old news to most of you, but I just found out that even back in the 80s arcade machines came with a series of dip switches that allowed the owner to increase the difficulty setting on the machine. Basically they were aiming for an average of 2.5 minutes per game, so when players got too good, they'd just flip a few switches and laugh at the baffled expressions on player's faces who one day breezed through a game but found themselves hopelessly inadequate the next day. This news has just thrown my childhood into turmoil. Was I really such hot shit on Gunsmoke as I thought? Or was my arcade's owner just unaware of those switches? :o

Hello? The entire point was to make money :o

You have played Final Fight, right? Why else would they have stupidly hard bosses with unblockable/unavoidable attacks if not to make money? It's one of the most depressing things about MAME - "yep, they were certainly raking it in with this unfair boss - good gameplay there".

Hello? The entire point was to make money :o

I realise that, my problem with all of this is that I might not have been playing the game at its highest difficulty level, and my achievements might not be as memorable as I thought they were. If they wanted to make money, why not just manufacture the game with a "Fuck me that's difficult" setting, and only that setting. I guess they needed to draw us in at first, and then up the difficulty once we were addicted.

Still, I would have preferred thinking that I was on a level playing field with players all over the world.

Brilliant! I used to use that as an excuse for doing badly.

(It is nonsense though. Certainly the games I used to play - Scramble, Tron, Star Wars - they were so formulaic in terms of attack patterns they were utterly impossible to frig with. I'd know :o )

they wouldnt make the game so hard you'd never want to play it again. theyd make it hard enough to be too difficult to finish, but easy enough to get 5 minutes of play out of it so you at least think youre getting your moneys worth.

i remember finishing 1942, on about 3 credits, then the next week not being able to get past about the 4th level. annoying.

Get Mame and see, you can mess with the dip switches in that, see if you as good as you think :lol:

It confused me slightly when I was younger, I was getting really far on Afterburner then one day I got wiped out almost instantly. Then one day I saw someone going through some of the settings and changing over a few things - I'd had no idea it was possible, I'd just assumed all arcade games just played the same when you switched them on