IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Mini

dino_jr

42 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The real issue here, I mean the big one - much bigger than the game list or whether Rare stuff will be included so ew are talking make or break time is...

What the fuckedy fuck is a Nintendo 64, OP needs to be publicly shamed for mis naming the thread :mad:

Nintendo_64__Front_View_.JPG

23 hours ago, ZOK said:

Do you think? I didn't find that, personally. Last time I had a go with it I completed all the Combat Challenges, including some I'd never managed in the N64 - the capture the briefcase one in the level 20s with the Needler and Devastators etc springs to mind!

I find that the aiming was designed around the (very) low resolution of the original - the reticule matched the pixel count as an overlay perfectly, and that didn't necessarily translate authentically to the higher resolutions.

Take a sniper rifle and aim it around the outer edge of a dead body to see what I mean. That feel was lost on the port. It's not such a big deal, but it's there - and does somehow make a difference when you're aiming at enemies in the distance, I miss shots that I'd have easily made on the original.

It's still the best ever either way.

The controller was a design classic. It's an evolutionary dead end but most of the games on the system were designed around it, and the analogue with the octal gate is a thing of beauty. Almost all N64 games feel better with it.

N64 mini won't be popular. SNES was an incredibly popular console, and it was the peak of 2d 16 bit visuals meaning the games still hold up really well. The n64 wasn't popular when it was originally out, and it's first gen 3d graphics which make all the games nearly unplayable.

It definitely will be popular. The SNES Mini could have shipped with Pit Fighter and Wayne's World and it still would have gone like shit off a shovel. They have created the demand with the NES Mini and I can't see that abating any time soon, the N64 may have had its problems but it's still remembered fondly.

Anyway I personally have more interest in a N64 Mini than the SNES (mainly due to the prospect of good emulation and non-mangled pads) so I'm in at least.

51 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

N64 mini won't be popular. SNES was an incredibly popular console, and it was the peak of 2d 16 bit visuals meaning the games still hold up really well. The n64 wasn't popular when it was originally out, and it's first gen 3d graphics which make all the games nearly unplayable.

Once again, this is rubbish. Most millennials grew up playing Mario Kart 64 and Smash Brothers.

This shit will fly off the shelves.

Nah, they grew up playing Crash and Tomb Raider on the playstation. After the initial Mario 64 hype had died away, only gamers were into the N64, not the mainstream. Very ugly console too, not "cute" like the UK SNES or NES to a lesser extent. So folk won't be buying them to just sit on a shelf. 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In a weird way, won't the 3D games of N64 sort of have aged worse than the 2D games of previous systems?

Yes. 2D games don't really age whereas early 3D games look horrible now. If they can remove the vaseline filter and improve the frame rate then it will be a lot better than original N64 console but i have no idea if or how it is possible.

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Nah, they grew up playing Crash and Tomb Raider on the playstation. After the initial Mario 64 hype had died away, only gamers were into the N64, not the mainstream. Very ugly console too, not "cute" like the UK SNES or NES to a lesser extent. So folk won't be buying them to just sit on a shelf. 

It's not worth getting into a pedantic argument with you, the N64 mini sales figures will speak for themselves. Let me just say I completely disagree.

2 hours ago, Mentazm said:

This isn't remotely true. 

2 minutes ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

This isn't remotely true. 

I don't know dude, like Ocarina of Time runs in 256 x 224 at 20fps with anti-aliasing blurring the fuck out of the image.

You'd be better off with the 3DS rework than the original blown up across a 4K TV.

Goldeneye was a huge part of the N64's appeal in the West, especially the four player multiplayer. It's appeal reached across an entire (male) generation. I think it is a more important title nostalgia wise than any Mario or Zelda game of the era (which have already returned in various forms over the years on DS and the like).

IF the N64 mini can offer a remastered version of Goldeneye (HD resolution, upped frame rate) with a four player mode still intact, it will sell just as well as any nostalgia based piece of hardware ever released. It's just a matter of wrestling that IP from Rare, Microsoft, EA and whoever else. Without it, I don't think an N64 mini is worth it.

4 hours ago, Salsa Party Animal said:

I think Nintendo N64 mini should have more powerful version of N64 wth better graphics/framerate and ability to use modern pads as well as classics N64 pad.. But I don't know how difficult to re render/compile the game. 

Could a improved updated graphics library help ? 

It would fuck up the frame timing wouldn't it?

Bit mythed by the comments about the emulation quality currently being poor. You guys have tried Project 64 right? You can chuck everything at 16:9 with decent aliasing and play through;  I've played almost the entire library of n64 games on there. They look sublime.

I think this is beyond a tough sell without rare. No goldeneye, no Perfect Dark, no CBFD, no Banjo 1 & 2.  Too many games I played to death at the time not present.