Minis... Why should Nintendo get all the limelight?

squirtle

So with the rumours of an N64 mini, I was thinking what if other companies got in on the craze. So what would people like from the following:

Spectrum mini

C64 mini

Amiga mini

ST mini

Master System mini

Mega Drive mini

Saturn mini

PlayStation mini

Dreamcast mini

And for bonuses...

BBC Micro mini

Atari VCS mini

Amstrad 464 mini

Official minis... Let's see more of them!

1 hour ago, APM said:

So with the rumours of an N64 mini, I was thinking what if other companies got in on the craze. So what would people like from the following:

Spectrum mini

C64 mini

Master System mini

Mega Drive mini

Atari VCS mini

Rejoice, those are/were all available as minis!

"Sega" made those mini Megadrive consoles (and the handheld version of the Mastersystem), the Atari VCS is still being released as the Flashback (with added Activision games this year), the C64 was available built into a joystick (although a new C64 - The C64 - is due out this year and the Spectrum had the crappy Vega but the amazing Spectrum Next due later this year. And as the Next is built on an FPGA, it can be reprogrammed to support the following:

VIDEO GAME CONSOLES (total of 6)
- Atari 2600
- Odyssey 2
- Colecovision
- Adventurevision
- Sega Master System
- Nintendo 8 bits (NES)

MICROCOMPUTERS (total of 18)
- ZX Spectrum 48Kb (TBBlue)
- ZX Spectrum 128Kb (TBBlue)
- ZX Spectrum +3 (TBBlue)
- ZX 80 (TBBlue)
- ZX 81 (TBBlue)
- Jupiter Ace (TBBlue)
- MC1000
- ZX 81
- Apple II Plus
- Vic 20
- Commodore 16
- Commodore 64
- MSX
- Tandy Color Computer
- BBC Micro Model A
- TK2000
- CP/M 3.0
- Compukit UK101 / Orao
- TRS80 model III

You'd sell a few Saturns to the hardcore 2Ders, but the only one that really tempts me is the Amiga, because its shrunken form might be fun in itself. Make it so that you can save games anywhere onto a mini floppy that contains a removable SD card, allowing for online sharing.

9 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

I never owned a PS1 and i can't get an emulator. I always wonder about all the indie games I missed out on on the demo discs. Can't get a Saturn emulator either and would love to play Last Bronx again !

Why can't you get emulators?

I was thinking that a PSOne mini might be a nightmare for getting consistently accurate/working games, until I remembered that the PSP has had PSOne Classics for years (not to mention a purely digital solution in the PSPGo). So yeah, a PSOne might be feasible if the right storage options are there for those larger eboots. ;) 

I'd love a Spectrum Next style Amiga or ST, not a mini though. Would be a massive technical undertaking though and you'd need a very talented hardware team to pull it off. 

A proper Mastersystem or Megadrive mini would be cool, maybe even in one system as the MD was backwards compatible (you just needed the overpriced adapter). But Sega have already flooded the market with third party tat so it seems unlikely. 

13 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I was thinking that a PSOne mini might be a nightmare for getting consistently accurate/working games, until I remembered that the PSP has had PSOne Classics for years (not to mention a purely digital solution in the PSPGo). So yeah, a PSOne might be feasible if the right storage options are there for those larger eboots. ;) 

Put a ps vita tv inside a a ps1 shaped piece of plastic and you have a ps1 mini.

Just now, pervent aline perio grow d said:

I downloaded a PS1 emulator but couldn't get it working and couldn't find a Saturn one. Unless others know different? 

IIRC PS1 emu's need each game in a very specific format and title.

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

I'd love a Spectrum Next style Amiga or ST, not a mini though. Would be a massive technical undertaking though and you'd need a very talented hardware team to pull it off. 

A proper Mastersystem or Megadrive mini would be cool, maybe even in one system as the MD was backwards compatible (you just needed the overpriced adapter). But Sega have already flooded the market with third party tat so it seems unlikely. 

The Mist was an FPGA implementation of the Amiga/ST (similar to the Soectrum Next), but unfortunately it just looked like a metal box that you hooked up a keyboard and mouse to. But someone could take the same platform and put it in an Amiga style casing.

http://amigastore.eu/en/318-mist-fpga-computer.html

32 minutes ago, moora said:

The Mist was an FPGA implementation of the Amiga/ST (similar to the Soectrum Next), but unfortunately it just looked like a metal box that you hooked up a keyboard and mouse to. But someone could take the same platform and put it in an Amiga style casing.

http://amigastore.eu/en/318-mist-fpga-computer.html

The Mist is a nice bit of kit but it's not got the form factor, compatibility with old peripherals (other than the joysticks) and general attention to detail of the Next.