Disenchantment - Matt Groening on Netflix

JohnC

Having not watched a single episode yet I reserve the right to change my opinion on this, but it's not exactly like The Simpsons and Futurama had stellar first seasons is it? I guess times are different now with so much choice available but imagine giving up on either of those shows because of a few dodgy season 1 episodes. Or look at Parks and Rec or Community for a non Groening example. The list of uneven first seasons of comedy is endless. 

Just checked the writing cast out of curiosity and there's no reason why this shouldn't be good. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein showran Seasons 7 and 8 of The Simpsons. David X Cohen co-created Futurama and worked on classic Simpsons. There's definitely talent there besides Groening.

Can't wait to inevitably come back in a few hours and declare it shit.

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

Having not watched a single episode yet I reserve the right to change my opinion on this, but it's not exactly like The Simpsons and Futurama had stellar first seasons is it? I guess times are different now with so much choice available but imagine giving up on either of those shows because of a few dodgy season 1 episodes. Or look at Parks and Rec for a non Groening example.

Just checked the writing cast out of curiosity and there's no reason why this shouldn't be good. Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein showran Seasons 7 and 8 of The Simpsons. David X Cohen co-created Futurama and worked on classic Simpsons. There's definitely talent there besides Groening.

Can't wait to inevitably come back in a few hours and declare it shit.

There's an familiarity about Disenchanted, but nearly every joke I saw had been done in the Simpsons or Futurama before. It immediately felt stale for me.

The first episode made me chuckle a few times, which is a few times more than I was expecting based on the reaction here, but it was pretty mediocre on the whole, yeah. And it was 38 minutes long (!) so not an amazing hit:miss ratio. That's a very long runtime for a show like this.

I found the animation quality very distracting. The backgrounds are nice and the main 3 characters look fine but some of the secondary characters looked awful. Really roughly drawn and cheap looking, like they were from a different show. Some of the scenes were really badly executed too. That bar brawl at the beginning was so stilted, poorly directed and quiet that it had next to no energy at all, it was very strange. The sound mix in general seems off, very muted and there are often long periods of near silence. I think I hate the music too.

Now I think about it, nearly all the parts I liked were in the elf factory and the evil couple scenes of the show. Many of the jokes were thuddingly poor outside of that, like when the elf sees the castle in the distance and says something like 'its so small... oh it's just in the distance' followed by several seconds of him walking in silence. That's barely a joke, I was waiting for an actual punchline to arrive after that but no, it just sat awkwardly on screen. Happened a few too many times, like there's a sliver of a kernel of a joke there somewhere but they forget to actually deliver it.

I'll give it a few more episodes. General consensus seems to be that it gets better after the first two episodes. And it has to really. 

This is obviously nowhere near Futurama or Simpsons at their heights, but I quite like it. The first episode was complete deck but after that it's quickly improved, I'm up to episode eight and it's zoomed by. Mind you I have watched the entire thing stoned off my tits so it might not be a fair test. 

10 hours ago, Kelthink said:

There's an familiarity about Disenchanted, but nearly every joke I saw had been done in the Simpsons or Futurama before. It immediately felt stale for me.

I had this feeling too, not necessarily that they’d been done before but that they are of that era in style & tone, except they would have been cut in favour of better jokes at that time.

I watched all 10 episodes last night and it was okay.  For me it did get better as it went on and the overarching narrative became a bit more of the focus - I found I was watching more for the story than the jokes.  As I mentioned above I think a lot of their jokes would have been cut from classic Simpsons or Futurama, I smiled more than laughed - I think I only really laughed out loud once & I can’t even remember the joke.

It ends strongly as well, the last 2 or 3 episodes, but I think many people will give up before then - I’m ill so just stuck it on and binged the lot.

This is a bit boring huh. Simpsons season 1 and certainly futurama season 1 had pretty great starts but this just doesn't have anything of interest to keep you hooked.

The visuals are quite ugly at times and the voices just grate as all I can hear is scruffy the janitor mixed with Sal the lazy guy, one of moms children and a whole host of other futurama voices.

Very disappointing considering everyone who's behind it.

On 17/08/2018 at 22:09, JPickford said:

Nah.  The Simpsons and Futurama were funny from the start.  This isn't.

The review in Empire said same thing - “Futurama didn’t hit stride until season four”. I was like are we talking about the same show?

Both of those show may well have massively improved over time but they both started out great.

Disenchantment seems to lack any ideas.  There's no satire or even any sort of target.  It's not about anything it's just lame stories with old gags.  It's not even taking the piss out of the fantasy genre.

18 minutes ago, linkster said:

The review in Empire said same thing - “Futurama didn’t hit stride until season four”. I was like are we talking about the same show?

Probably because most of the Empire writers weren't born when it was on.

From what I can remember, season 3 of Futurama was my favourite, but the first few episodes were wonderful. When Fry moves in to Bender’s apartment? It’s so great, and it absolutely hit the ground running.

I haven’t given this a fair shot up to now, but ‘flat’ is the perfect way to describe the first few minutes of episode 1. Like it was missing something.

I didn't think Futurama really hit its stride until Season 3, which not coincidentally is when it consistently discovered its heart. Seasons 1 and 2 had some very good episodes but also some really boring ones where it didn't feel like they totally knew what they wanted the show to be. Too frequently the early episodes relied on a formula where the characters had to deliver a package to a strange planet, they fucked it up and had to escape somehow. When they focused more on the characters than 'a bunch of wacky stuff that happened on a weird planet with no real point' it got a lot better.