The Getaway

Andy_Tanner

bought it in the Play sale for £9.99. i'm only on the second mission. my first impressions of the combat aren't great. moving and aiming is rubbish compared to more modern 3rd person combat titles such as Manhunt. driving is ok but doesn't seem as fun as in GTA.

i'm finding it quite tricky and keep dying quite alot. does the game get easier the more you play and how long does it take to complete?

oh yeah. what do you guys think of it?

Had all the same problems that swamped TR:AOD - utterly frustrating control mechanics that make you say to yourself 'you know what, lifes too short - I think I'll go play Rez'

It was lovely to look at but the on-foot sections were just hilariously bad and the lack of any sort of map was just plain annoying (the car indicator idea was clever but just didn't work)

I liked it. Keep going, I finished it so it can't be that hard.

i must say, i'm enjoying the general atmosphere and driving around London shooting up wine bars :lol: what worries me is that i'll get really frustrated with the combat. aiming is a bit all over the place. i've noticed reading the instructions you can use aim [R1] and free aim [R2] but i honestly can't tell the difference. is R1 supposed to lock on to enemies?

..and the lack of any sort of map was just plain annoying (the car indicator idea was clever but just didn't work)

Indeed. Especially when you get your indicators smashed by the car behind you that you cannot see because there is no rear view!!

"Wait, so I have to leave the car, walk across the road and get into another car, otherwise I don't know what way to go?"

"Yes that's right."

"Wow... you were really going for realism there, eh?"

i've noticed reading the instructions you can use aim [R1] and free aim [R2] but i honestly can't tell the difference. is R1 supposed to lock on to enemies?

One is automatic targetting (lock-on, but it's terrible), and the other is a manual aim (which uses the actual gun as a cross-hair - quite clever).

You'll probably find you have to resort to using the manual aim to straighten the camera out all the time, since there is no dedicated button for that otherwise,

It's also rather ironically one of the most immature games I've ever played.

I almost felt embarassed by it.

..........but Sony made it, surely it must be the most mature thing ever. :lol:

A poor game indeed, the sadest part being the amount of time and resources that went in to making something so bland.

I used to chat to one of the guys who worked on it (should email him really) and he used to go through hell at times working there. Anyone thats worked in the games industry knows you normally have to do overtime and weekends etc, but for their team working 20+hours a day was not uncommon near the end.

They just did to much which they wasnt capable of sadly. A lot of hard work and effort went into the game.

It knocked GTA3 off the top spot.

For a week.

Then fell down the charts, mainly due to them having to pull it cos of the Royal Mail van.

When it came back out it went back up to top 5 for a bit.

It sold pretty well, dunno about profit though.

I like it. The driving's great- you really get a sense of the terror you'd feel driving through London at ridiculously high speeds. Driving against traffic is shit-scary. And the handling's cool, too- it's more 'real' than GTA3 (not that that's necessarily a good thing), meaning you can drift round corners, which feels great.

The on-foot sections aren't as good, but are still pretty enjoyable. The whole Soho series of levels for DC Carter are fantastic, acting like Heat: The Game. In fact, DC Carter's levels are much better than Mark Hammond's, so it's shame you have to complete it as Hammond to play them.

The music is excellent as well- real film-score stuff that sounds like a funky version of the Get Carter soundtrack, with a bit of Ronin thrown in for good measure.

It's not perfect, though- the general quality of the game is madly shoddy. It's bugged to fuck, often with the result of making a level uncompletable, which is unforgivable in a modern game.

The plot is embarassingly shit as well, with some of the most feeble attempts at tough-guy dialogue ever seen, as well as piss-poor characterisation and plotting. The dialogue is so bad it's often hilarious, which actually adds entertainment value to the game. "Come on, you maggots!" and "You don't seriously believe this mad tosser do you?" have to rank among the many comedy classics on offer.

It's also good to see that my house is almost in the game. So close- just one side-street, and it would have been there. Still, my corner shop and my local pub are in there, so it's all good.

And it's the first game ever to use the word "cunt". That must count for something, surely?

can anyone give me an estimate completion time? is it a 40 hour job or a more palatable 10+ ?

Ten sounds about right. I did it in about a week, week and a half. It depends on how arsed you can be doing some of the more annoying missions.

This shit is fucking shit, the poor fucking excuse of a berkshire hunt plot is shit and so is the fucking dialogue. The bloody yanks fucking loved it though because of fucking course we all fucking talk like this all the fucking time and it's a fucking window onto british life. The fucks.

The handling of the cars was wank.

The handling on foot was shit.

The overall excecution can be summed up as a big piece of dog doo.