rllmuk
Nespresso

Red Letter Media Fan Club

The other day suddenly loads of twitter folk were writing a out how much they dislike RLM, did any one specific thing happen? Or is it just because people take offence to their not really liking the modern star wars films much? 

6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The other day suddenly loads of twitter folk were writing a out how much they dislike RLM, did any one specific thing happen? Or is it just because people take offence to their not really liking the modern star wars films much? 

Someone from Kotaku tweeted that they didn't like them, and the Dark Legion of Incelia was awoken from its eternal slumber.

The Best of the Worst decision was an outrage!

• Upvote 1

Yeah it was her tweet (and a few others makijg similar remarks) that I noticed but I wasn't sure what had sparked those tweets in the first place. :hmm:

Glad they're doing Silent Night Deadly Night 2. The first one is actually a decent film, the second is an outrage. 

• Upvote 1

I do like them a lot but occasionally they do slip in regards to being very white guys from Wisconsin. The whole business in even the prequel reviews about "black people don't like star wars" is quite telling in it's ignorance. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/12/2019 at 19:09, deerokus said:

Is it because they're gamergate for films? I think it might be that.

• Upvote 1

If you don't think RLM are pandering to a certain crowd, then congratulations, you're probably a straight white male.

All of their Last Jedi and Captain Marvel stuff was just embarrassing.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, SweatyTravolta said:

If you don't think RLM are pandering to a certain crowd, then congratulations, you're probably a straight white male.

All of their Last Jedi and Captain Marvel stuff was just embarrassing.

Yeah fully agree the Captain Marvel episode of Half in the Bag was embarrassing. But I think it's specifically Mike who is the problem in that respect, rather than all of them. He's verging on MRA while Jay actually seems like he has his head screwed on properly.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Shoes said:

Comparing RLM to GamerGate is embarrassing and insulting.

It is, but the Last Jedi and Cap Marvel reviews were embarrassing.

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, their use of SJW in the past is very tedious because of who else uses it, but they're also exposed to huge amounts of twitter idiots who launch allsorts of unfair accusations at them to a degree that we simply haven't faced. We've not been tested and Ive seen lots of immediately criticised public figures piled onto on social media and then being embraced/offered support by bad faith alt righters...and then they're lost. Props to RLM for seemingly avoiding this so far. Jon Ronson's got some good commentary on social media pile-ons that I have a lot of time for.

After I heard them riff about SJWs the first time I groaned and thought I'd better find out what they were about in case I was supporting nasty people through clicks - so went straight to their Ghostbusters 2016 review. Their criticism of the weird detractors of this terrible film and complimenting of Lesley Jones made them enemies of every single MRA out there, and props to them for not pandering to presumably a bunch of patreoners. I expect they're very average men with common blindspots and frustrations at being labelled allsorts of things from all sides. Mike's more obstinate and less politically thoughtful/engaged than Jay but I think they're probably stuck between two extreme commentator groups - like most creators with some success. I think they're ignorant on some social subjects and their preoccupation/limit is being film buffs and they're absolutely not malicious internet personalities. As such I'm not going to contribute to them doubling down by deciding exactly who they are without more info.

• Upvote 9

They've done some cringey stuff in the past but whenever politics have come up in recent episodes there's been a much more self-deprecating tone I think.

I love them but the Captain Marvel review did feel a bit... off. It's more a diatribe against perceived false 'wokeness'/luvvies/big business wanting to tap into zeitgeist feeling for profit/Brie Larson generally than it is a take on the film.

I don't even much like the film and thought it was a bit grim.

Most of their other content (Nerd Crew and anything featuring Macaulay Culkin aside) is gold.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Professor_k said:

The Captain Marvel and Last Jedi reviews were fantastic.

If you don't like their content, don't watch it.

I like their content, I didn't think those were their best. Should I have somehow have unwatched them? Fuck's sake, everything has to be 100% love or 100% hate?

• Upvote 1

And of course , Twitter is the ideal for a pile on. You get a few hundred people suddenly finding a problem with something they were fine with last week and the problem escalates quickly. It's easy to forget that a few hundred people is the square root of fuck all when you have over a million subscribers, and that RLM are just ordinary people.  People on TV have a team of media-trainers making sure they act the right way and say the correct things. RLM used to make wedding videos and people need to cut them some slack. 

• Upvote 1

What’s embarrassing about their TLJ review?

I haven’t seen their Cpt. Marvel one, but that’s like my second favourite Marvel film, so maybe I should take a look. 

What's that horrible-looking animated film and why are children being subjected to that? 

Rich looks old as fuck in a suit. 

• Upvote 1

A fun watch as always, but I disagree with almost their entire opinions! Perhaps (well, definitely more like) their lack of 'computer' love and knowledge is to blame, but even on a purely script and narrative front, I don't see their logic. I think Tron is an absolutely magical film, well told, shot and acted. I found the sequel hugely enjoyable too (save for cgi Jeff, which they should never have done) with as most will agree an absolutely sensational soundtrack. Oh and Olivia Wilde...:wub:

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

A fun watch as always, but I disagree with almost their entire opinions! Perhaps (well, definitely more like) their lack of 'computer' love and knowledge is to blame, but even on a purely script and narrative front, I don't see their logic. I think Tron is an absolutely magical film, well told, shot and acted. I found the sequel hugely enjoyable too (save for cgi Jeff, which they should never have done) with as most will agree an absolutely sensational soundtrack. Oh and Olivia Wilde...:wub:

I don't love the original, but I do appreciate it enormously. I remember seeing it in the cinema on original release and as a young lad who was absolutely looking forward to it I did come out of it feeling a little bit let down. 

Aside from the light bikes. 

They are - and will always be - some of the most wonderful design you'll ever see.

I really like Legacy though - I'd have loved to see them get the chance to develop the world more, and it's such a gorgeous film to look at to boot. Admittedly, young Jeff was not a good look, but there we go. And yes, Olivia Wilde looked absolutely sensational, as did the 'evil' lady who leads Flynn's son to Michael Sheen. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I really like Legacy though - I'd have loved to see them get the chance to develop the world more

I'd really liked to have seen the long mooted third film too. Legacy had some excellent world building imo and the ending was obviously hinting at a third feature. I guess it won't happen though, it wasn't a huge hit and pieces like RLM's further push the negative narrative.

As an aside, Legacy's 'legacy' does make me a little concerned about Top Gun Maverick's use of cgi... Kosinski directed both and his green lighting of cgi Jeff makes me seriously question that facet of his visual judgement. Apparently he's originally an effects guy too, which makes it even worse.

I was agog at the fact that Jay said something along the lines of the first Tron needing "someone who was really good with synth stuff", apparently unaware of who Wendy Carlos is. I'm not particularly a fan of her Tron score but that remark came across as very sloppy.