IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

Finished season 4 tonight goddamn if those final 2 episodes didn't tick all the boxes for super entertaining TV. Even the secret best music track from Karate Kid snuck in. Just wall to wall grinning, it's so well written and executed for what it is. 

On 04/01/2022 at 10:59, scottcr said:

It's sooo melodramatic and manipulative, but I can't help but watch - because it's just great fun.  It knows exactly what it is.

It must be a deliberate decision for it being shot in that over-lit US network sitcom/daytime soap opera style, and with those often spartan sets… Yet somehow it all works.

How can a Karate Tournament genuinely feel like the fate of the entire human race depends on the outcome?! Absolutely tremendous season from start to finish culminating in 2 perfect episodes of TV. Sooooo much pay-off!

Felt slightly worried with some of the shit going on in episode 7, but on reflection I think that was deliberate to make the finale feel as good as it did.

Spoiler

The whole prom dynamic with the couples and then the dance fighting was awful. So many unnecessary cringe moments where that kind of thing is usually handled very well. It was the only slight mis-step for me but was more than made up for with how things played out afterwards. The Hawk v Robby fight was exhilarating to watch and shows how far these actors and the choreography has come.

There is no doubt Barnes is returning now yeah, perhaps with a perfectly moulded evil son or daughter of his own? I can just about handle Kreese having his 'redemption' arc through his misguided love for Johnny, but I want Barnes and I want him as evil and deranged as possible!

Oh and one of the greatest assessment of Top Gun ever... "He didnt even get into Miramar, and he got his wingman killed. Not cool!". Make 27 seasons of Cobra Kai please!

I'm well behind you guys on this, as I only started watching it at the weekend. When my girlfriend said she'd heard good things about Cobra Kai, I said that I'd like to catch up with the movies first as I could barely remember anything about them. I dragged my feet on doing so for a few weeks. I'd watched The Karate Kid when I was a child but was sure I hadn't seen it for over 30 years, and I didn't think I had ever seen Parts 2 and 3. I certainly didn't remember loving the series. I assumed that the first film would have dated really badly - I was really only intending to familiarise myself with the characters and the plot. But oh boy, only a few minutes in I was really enjoying it, and a long way before the end I was totally won over. The lead-up to the crane kick in the final fight was an amazingly edited piece of work! The relationship between Mr Miyagi and Daniel-san felt so genuine and lovely, and the 'villains' (eg. Johnny) were great. It hadn't aged at all, it was a lovely time capsule of these sorts of 80s movies. And I liked the characters so much that I didn't mind that Parts 2 and 3 didn't live up to the original. It was still fun (devoid of any years' worth of potential hype) to see Daniel and Mr Miyagi again. The antics of Terry in Part 3, which would have seemed horribly tonally mismanaged compared to the first film if I'd watched it on release, now just seemed stupid in a good way. By the end, I was massively looking forward to Cobra Kai in a way that I could never have imagined the week before.

So we watched the entire first season of Cobra Kai and the first 3 episodes of season 2 over the weekend. It's so moreish, laugh-out-loud funny (particularly with some of the stuff Johnny comes out with), and the chemistry between Ralph Macchio and William Zabka whenever they share the screen is so great. The kids are awesome too, I really like pretty much all of them. The music's excellent, the flashbacks are very well pitched, and you can see just how much love has gone into the project. I can't wait to catch up all the way, I'm bloody loving it! Johnny FTW.