Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

i've been sick since the weekend and have had fuck all to do in the meantime, so i rewatched all 3 karate kid movies (yeah i know i know, i just never saw it as a kid so its not part of my nostalgia) and decided to watch cobra kai since i heard it wasn't terrible.

fucking hell, how is this so good and so cheesy at the same time? all the teen drama makes my teeth itch but everything else seems unbelievably good? zabka take a bow, i dunno where he's been all these years but he's phenomenal in this show. i was expecting this to be shit because c'mon, it's a streaming series revival of an 80s film franchise that was very much of its time. they're all shit... except for the most part, it just hits right tonally.

watching all the teen stuff makes me feel like i'm watching some new power rangers stuff but watching the parts with johnny and daniel are compelling.

and

Spoiler

i get a bit teary eyed whenever they refer to/revere mr miyagi. god i wish pat morita was still alive, he'd be incredible in this.

i've just finished season 3, the episode lengths are just right and the seasons don't drag too much (though some of the subplots...hmm.)

but yeah i can look past the flaws so far, more 80s revivals should be like this.

So I have a question, if Chicago and Peter Cetera are now canon in the show, does that mean that Glory of Love exists and if so what was it written for?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gambit said:

I managed to get to episode 6 of the new season in one night. God, I love it.

Spoiler for episode 6.

Hide contents

De aged Johnny Lawrence!!! :lol:

Honestly, I loved that.

I've seen it all and thought that

Spoiler

Mike Barnes was criminally underused, though conversely Silver lived up to his presence and the Kreese ending was brilliant. Aside from Miyagi, he's always been the star in the originals for me. 

Overall - a decent season but I also think

Spoiler

the large brawl scenes are just way too chaotic and cheesy. I honestly wish they would put more time into choreography and tension, selling the 1v1 battles more. We didn't even get to see Lawrence vs Barnes, though by all accounts, hardly any of them are trained martial artists. 

I'm not sure how many more seasons they've got in them, they've cycled through all the best characters and whilst it's not exactly premium viewing - I think they are in danger of losing the magic that's took it this far. 

I'm always up for more - but I think from this point onwards it could start to wear thin. 

9 hours ago, smithstock said:

I'm not sure how many more seasons they've got in them, they've cycled through all the best characters and whilst it's not exactly premium viewing - I think they are in danger of losing the magic that's took it this far. 

I'm always up for more - but I think from this point onwards it could start to wear thin. 

I haven't seen The Next Karate Kid, but I wonder what the chances are of them being able to pull Hilary Swank in.

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

I haven't seen The Next Karate Kid, but I wonder what the chances are of them being able to pull Hilary Swank in.

Yeah if you go that route then there's...

- Hilary Swank 

- Walton Goggins

- Michael Ironside

- Jackie Chan

- Jaden Smith (Will Smith is exec producer)

Regardless though - I'm not sure there's much love beyond Karate Kid III. I wasn't even a fan of Karate Kid II.

In addition to the scene I quoted earlier, I also loved

Spoiler

the Topgun reference

2 hours ago, smithstock said:

Yeah if you go that route then there's...

- Hilary Swank 

- Walton Goggins

- Michael Ironside

- Jackie Chan

- Jaden Smith (Will Smith is exec producer)

Regardless though - I'm not sure there's much love beyond Karate Kid III. I wasn't even a fan of Karate Kid II.

In addition to the scene I quoted earlier, I also loved

Reveal hidden contents

the Topgun reference

I don’t follow the logic for Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith appearing seeing as they were in a reboot and not a continuation of the original.

17 hours ago, smithstock said:

Honestly, I loved that.

I've seen it all and thought that

Hide contents

the Kreese ending was brilliant.

Why did the writers hamper themselves by having

Spoiler

Kreese on the run and unable to get revenge as easily, just as Stingray was admitting he lied to the police and therefore he would have been released anyway?

Very enjoyable though.  Hard to see where they go from here though seeing as

Spoiler

Kreese escaping aside, it basically played out as a series finale.

3 hours ago, Stejay said:

I don’t follow the logic for Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith appearing seeing as they were in a reboot and not a continuation of the original.

It was the same story but they weren't the same characters. Chan wasn't called Mr Miyagi for example.

But they have nothing to do with the characters in this so should never EVER show up (please).

1 minute ago, Gambit said:

It was the same story but they weren't the same characters. Chan wasn't called Mr Miyagi for example.

But they have nothing to do with the characters in this so should never EVER show up (please).

True enough, but I agree with you.  It just wouldn't seem right if they did appear.

Started season 5 tonight and got up to episode 4, it's frankly far too easy to watch these back to back.

But.....what the fuck was that episode (4) I just watched? One of those ones when you want to reach into the TV and just smack heads.  Annoying.

I'll probably end up watching the rest tomorrow!😂

I always used to think the plot of Karate Kid III was really outlandish. Not so much now. Let's be honest if it came to light that Elon Musk was devoting his time and fortune on a petty plot to get one over on a teenager and an old man, would any of us be honestly surprised.

Finished it. I actually thought...

Spoiler

The final episode was a bit rushed and wrapped everything up at the speed of light. The global karate competition plot line just fizzled out, didn't it? I wonder if this is the last we'll see of Silver? I can imagine him plotting revenge for what's happened. I guess they've left it open for something like that.

The double episode ending to season 4 is still the best.

Great though Kreese is as a character, I thought Silver was a much better villain in this series than Kreese was in series 3 and 4.  A megalomaniac with seemingly unlimited resources was much more threatening than a bum who barely had a pot to piss in.

Overall it was quite a good series, but it needed more Jonny Lawrence time, as he's the best thing in the show by miles.