IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

6 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Couldn't you just buy a month of YouTube Red for less than the series? 

It's not available in Belgium. :(

Edit: Ah, didn't see Danster had essentially answered for me. 

Watched the first four and this is really quite good fun. I really dig how they've

Spoiler

effectively subverted the film. BUT also made Larusso a sympathetic character too. I do wonder whether it will end with Larusso and Johnny having to work together to solve their issues. Or maybe not....

...I think I'll buy the rest and see. :) 

2 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

Youtube are shit distributors of paid content, I'm still angry that I can't watch my purchases through the PS4 app!

For sure, do they even do offline viewing? 

If they do then please strike this from the record. 

I just binge watched this show in last few days and fuck it was superb. Better than most movies I’ve seen lately. Great balance of characters, story and acting. 

Made me me feel for Johnny and Daniel. 

Subverted my opinions and views. Built the world. Showed how similar they are. Amazing. 

One of of the best tv shows I’ve seen in ages. Loved it. 

Yup, finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Don't mistake this enthusiasm for having minds blown, there's no major twists, there's plenty of cliches and some of the set ups can feel a little contrived, but I haven't felt so content watching something unfold in many a year.

It's about the best follow up story you could expect. Seeing the story unfold and just watching these two characters pick up where they left off, can't help but warm the heart of any fan of the original trilogy.

Doesn't look as though this is a one off series either! 

Confession time. I’ve never seen Karate Kid. I know the usual pop culture stuff that came

out of it and I think I know a rough outline of the story. But I’ll probably watch it. 

Do I need to go any further than the first for this show?

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Confession time. I’ve never seen Karate Kid. I know the usual pop culture stuff that came

out of it and I think I know a rough outline of the story. But I’ll probably watch it. 

Do I need to go any further than the first for this show?

Nah, the first is all you need to watch to get the background.

40 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The first is a great feel-good tale with an excellent performance by Pat Morita. The second deserves a bit of credit for completely changing the setup, while the third is a tired retread for the most part.

Do watch the first.

And don’t watch the remake!

6 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The first is a great feel-good tale with an excellent performance by Pat Morita. The second deserves a bit of credit for completely changing the setup, while the third is a tired retread for the most part.

Do watch the first.

I read a book on script writing that was published in the late 80's and the writer revealed that the last scene for Karate Kid was cut from the end (and later used near the start of Karate Kid 2.)

It's the bit where

Johnny's karate teacher is pretty much choking him in the car park making it clear that the real villian was always Johnny's teacher, not Johnny himself.

That scene probably helps in understanding Johnny but it's shown in a flashback in one of the first two episodes so the only essential pre-watch for Cobra Kai is the first movie.

I've only seen the first two episodes and even just two episodes in they're pretty well written showing both protagonists as being more complicated than the whole good / bad trope that's usually portrayed.

For a show that trades on nostalgia the first two episodes seem very big on exploring the dangers of living in the past.

Just finished this as well, it was flipping great. Whilst it works as a standalone you owe it to yourself to have watched Karate Kid first.

I completely geeked out when Miguel went on a date with Sam to the arcade to the strains of Commuters Young Hearts. 

loved the way it subverted the original with Johnny being the poor kid and Daniel living the life of priviledge. I also liked the fact there wasn’t the distinction between who was good and bad, both were flawed and capable of being assholes. 

3 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Is it likely to be back for season 2 or do they come to a firm end point at the end of this series? 

They definitely open the door to where a season 2 could go, but there's no cliff hanger ending or anything like that.