IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

Yeah, I only clicked the first episode out of curiosity and before I knew it I was 2 in. I'm going to have to see how long a trial lasts and squeeze it in. 

Will spoiler just in case.

Spoiler

Somehow, I completely empathize with Johnny, although his lot in life is probably depressingly true of many folks here.

Not going to lie, Larusso is an insufferably dick in the first couple. Or maybe that isn't fair, perhaps he's just utterly clothes clueless now, in his position of incredible privilege.

2 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

How did you get episodes 3-10? Still can’t find out how to purchase them!

In the UK?

I had to go to Youtube on a computer select the next episode (e.g. ep 3) and then there was a link to buy them that used my Google account.

Once purchased though I was able to watch on any Youtube app.

Watched the first 4 episodes. The best thing I've seen for a while. Totally true to the original film. Genuinely funny script. Each episode doesn't outstay its welcome.

Love it.

Up so episode 4, and it genuinely excellent! The writing is deft - it's both a celebration of and a gentle satire of eighties screenwriting. It makes for this  clever clash of outdated ideals and modern mores, but in a sort of good-hearted way. Ironically it feels really fresh because of that. 

Watched this over the last few days and really enjoyed it. 

Spoiler

Not too keen on how they simplified Johnny's student in the last episode just to appear as a baddie. I guess beer can do that. 

Larusso became a bit of a dick, but that's what helped it be more entertaining. 

Johnny was always the nicer one:

It was excellent. Just the right weight, just the right amount of fan service, and the various key character arcs were nicely set up. 

Obviously a large serve of cheese on the side, and I think it suffered just a little without Miyagi there to spout accessibly westernised eastern pseudo-philosophy, but it sure was easy to watch, and I definitely want more!

4 hours ago, pastry said:

It was excellent. Just the right weight, just the right amount of fan service, and the various key character arcs were nicely set up. 

Obviously a large serve of cheese on the side, and I think it suffered just a little without Miyagi there to spout accessibly westernised eastern pseudo-philosophy, but it sure was easy to watch, and I definitely want more!

Spoiler

It did but then I felt the bit about visiting his grave and the memories tied that up nicely.

I've just finished the first two.

It's ok it's a nice bit of nostalgia, with some really good music in it but it's just the usual predictable stuff which is a bit of a shame however that said i will purchase the rest in the hope of maybe getting my nephews to watch it. 

The new bully seems really familiar to me anyone know what else he's been in?

Also, what's the best / most hassle free way of purchasing the rest here in the uk?

I'm going to finish this today and I think it's great, it actually feels like it has the spirit of the 80's films but with a modern take, I think I've enjoyed this more than Stranger Things to be honest, I think it's smart and funny.

So that's me finished it.

I liked it a lot more than i thought i would, the first two episodes really don't do it justice. 

Although it's part remake and part role reversal i really liked it i could feel for both of the characters and i have to say i probably enjoyed it more than i did the original movies. 

Finished this in 2 days. It's great. The first two episodes were a bit lame but it really picked up after the freebies. 

Strike first!

Strike hard!

No mercy!

This was wasted on Youtube Red. It's incredible. I wish it was getting a huge push on US TV it really deserves it.

Spoiler

"It's not lame ass Karate its Cobra Kai"

Man if that scene doesn't have you cheering I don't know what will.  As Treble said the writing on this a fantastic mix of 80's genre tropes with a modern spin.

I can see Miguel and Hawk going full Kreese Cobra Kai but still being conflicted. Or maybe Robby being dragged over to the dark side. Theres alot to play with and the writers have shown a deft touch already so season 2 will be fun. Samantha has shown signs of wrecking everyone too.  

I expected this to be awful but its so fucking good.

Just finished it. I find it hard to believe this won't be one of this year's TV highlights. So much obvious affection and enthusiasm for the source material and the people involved.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought a few things were a bit weak (some of the acting, some of the fight scenes) but the overall experience felt so full of love that it carried you through.

Spoiler

It's a shame that in the last episode of the series...

Spoiler

That they didn't all go out in the early rounds, they hadn't trained long enough! Surely, that'd leave more room for burning resentment which Krease could exploit? What a reveal though! I had assumed he wasn't going to be involved.

I wonder if series 2 can possibly live up to this one. With the reframing that has now taken place and the references that have been used up, I wonder how many great ideas they have left - it really feels like they pulled out all the stops. 

I'll definitely be looking out for it though.

Does this treat Karate Kid 2 and 3 as cannon? The 1st film was referenced extensively, but the others weren't mentioned at all I think.

I remember quite enjoying KK2. KK3 not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched all but the final episode.

So many beautiful moments - mostly rooted in nostalgia but that didn't make it less enjoyable.

Particularly loved getting Jonny's take on the events of KK1, where Daniel is basically the arsehole.

And just about every scene with Jonny and Daniel was golden. 

On 11/05/2018 at 05:23, TehStu said:

Yeah, I only clicked the first episode out of curiosity and before I knew it I was 2 in. I'm going to have to see how long a trial lasts and squeeze it in. 

Will spoiler just in case.

Reveal hidden contents

Somehow, I completely empathize with Johnny, although his lot in life is probably depressingly true of many folks here.

Not going to lie, Larusso is an insufferably dick in the first couple. Or maybe that isn't fair, perhaps he's just utterly clothes clueless now, in his position of incredible privilege.

Yeah, it genuinely annoyed me to see him disgracing Myagi’s memory by using his karate as a sales hook, and cheapening the bonsai ceremony that his mentor shared with him by ‘everyone gets a free bonsai tree at my dealership!’

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of this but have found this thread so confusing with its YouTube Red this and episode-purchasing that.

Looks as though the only way to watch the other episodes is to sign up to something called YouTube Premium. Don't know if that's because of something YouTube have changed. Anyway, the good news is that you can get a free month's trial, which is what I've just done so I can watch the rest of the series.