IGNORED

Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

JohnC

I’m loving this. Cheesy, corny, exciting. It’s pretty much what the films were really. 

Also reminded me of this great episode of How I Met Your Mother. This excerpt doesn’t give the reveal the justice it deserves...

Not feeling series 2 as much as the first. I’m struggling to continue to understand how two grown men can possibly give this much of a fuck about their dojo’s or their rivalry.

I’ll say the one thing this does well though is that I don’t really know who then”good guys” are. At times I root for the Cobras. Then I think they’re all dicks so flip to car man dojo and the son/daughter.

Binged both series this last week or so and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it doesn’t seem to be able to make its mind up what it is, veering from 80s pastiche to teen drama without really managing to blend the two together. Liking the juxtaposition of Johnny acting like a dick in public but always trying to do the right thing behind the scenes, and Daniel having the acceptable public face but secretly being a bit of an arse. Also wondering how much closer to his ear he can get his side parting too. Roll on S3. 

I’m hoping Johnny and Daniel can form a super Dojo fusing their styles to defeat Kreese’s more evil Cobra Kai.

Series 2 took a bit of a dip about half way through, but I've still really enjoyed it.  I do like the way it keeps having you changing your allegiances - but I'm TEAM JOHNNY all the way.  At times it's all very teen drama soap, but then so was the original - so I'm ok with that.  It's cheesy as fuck... but it's nice to have a programme that's so unashamedly old-school.  25 minute episodes with each ending in a minor cliff hanger.  

Anyway, Miyagido??? Fucking Pishaggydo mer like!  AMIRITE?

31 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Just watched 5 episodes in a row of S1, bloody love it. 

It's got everything, high school bully revenge fantasy, hot girl clique being mean to their childhood friends, 80s hair metal soundtrack, training montages and all tied up with a big nostalgia bow. 

I loved Johnny’s driving/reminiscing montage - straight out of the Rocky movies :)

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

It's some of dodgy references that stop me watching it wiht the kids as most of that aside, it's fine...

apart from the fact that Johnny can drive absolutely out of his tits all the time with no consequences.  80s as fuck.

He's a white American. It's fine today. 

... and it’s done. Loved that. Cracking easy watching. We’re going to see Johnny and Daniel team up to take Kreese down once and for all aren’t we?

and if there’s no Joe Esposito in the next series finale I’ll chuck my coors banquet through my telly! 

9 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Had too much wine and decided I needed reminding of the full back story. Rewatching after seeing at the cinema 35 years ago. 

15998635649214091237352212231103.jpg

Wait a minute, did they move by driving from NJ to LA in that car with all their belongings?

On 10/09/2020 at 15:24, KartoffelKopf said:

Ha, yeah, he was drinking beer whilst driving too, perfect :lol:

One thing I found quite jarring though was the sudden influx of f-words and blowjob jokes in episode 4. It's like they suddenly realised it's not actually a teen drama but a nostalgia trip for the over 40s

Yeah I’ve had to sack off watching this with my kids (daughter is 10). We can withstand the odd swear in a movie but it fairly routine in this, but it just got too suggestive - the lad miming giving a blowjob to the ‘bad lad’ off on a date, Russo talking about having a 15ft dick in his mouth, “she’ll only go down on you if you buy her dessert”… yeah, let’s watch She-Ra, eh?

It’s a bit of a shame, because I don’t think it *needs* that stuff to still be good. My kids were really enjoying the nuance of Johnny being a not obvious bad guy, and they both loved the original film. And they really liked the kid in it. But never mind. 

On 09/09/2020 at 23:19, thesnwmn said:

I’m struggling to continue to understand how two grown men can possibly give this much of a fuck about their dojo’s or their rivalry.

Oh you'd be surprised with the old traditional martial arts like Karate - you quite often find the instructors are a certain...type. 

I used to coach at an MMA/BJJ gym and unbeknownst to us one of our clients had stupidly booked himself into a local kickboxing competition run by one of the karate clubs.  He pulled out at the last minute due to injury and I took a phone call from the most irate jumped up little prick of a man I've ever known.  The guy that organised it, well known local karate black belt, demanded we put up a replacement 'fighter' (it's not fighting). I said I knew nothing about it so no, basically. He started yelling at me how my name was mud, how I'd dishonoured myself and him and he was going to come after me when I least expect it (classic), how they were going to storm our dojo (it wasn't a dojo), he was going to kick my head in etc etc etc.  It was incredible, I was absolutely pissing myself!

I shit thee nay. That's not even the half of it.

But yeah, I started watching this yesterday and it's cheesy as all hell.  I dig it!

Finished the first season - is it just me or it is maybe the most well formed, entertaining first season of anything ever? I loved every moment. It was funny, had real heart and the fighting choreography is actually pretty exciting. It’s got just the right mix of nostalgia, but the new characters really work so it’s definitely not just nostalgia. It is really rewarding to see the old actors take up the same roles though, tremendous fun. 

Gone back to the movie now before season two. It must be 25 years since I last saw it!

Last episode of Series 1

Spoiler

Miguel using the Crane Kick tonwin the opening point in the opening match of the tournament :D

I really liked how nearly all the main character’s behaviour and attitudes changed during the show. Protagonists and antagonists shifting throughout.

Just finished season 1. This is simply brilliant. Highlights:

- Johnny is the best self-unaware comic character since Gareth in The Office. So many good lines but my favourite, "the only thing I understood about any of that was three-way."

- How the writers make us root for the 'bad guys' and then the 'good guys' from minute to minute. A tough balance to achieve but they tread it brilliantly.

- They nail the nostalgia for us 40/50 somethings but keep it relevant for kids/teenagers.

- It's refreshingly un-PC.

- Hawk

- How Xander was introduced in the last episode and instantly became one of the best/worst characters in the entire series.

- The comedy. Not laughed this much since early Gervais. And it's not even a comedy.

- The last episode is like Blood Sport condensed into 30 mins. Stunningly,  cheesily fantastic.