Cobra Kai - Now on Netflix

18 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

Your reading comprehension isn't great, bro, is it? 

You're talking about season 3, which netflix had no influence on. And the showrunners already have planned tons of seasons of content, again, nothing to do with netflix. Maybe you'd like to explain yourself better.

Equal parts dreadful and fabulous, leaning well and truly into one-dimensional caricatures that probably risk taking it too far into the absurd.. but it’s just so much fun!

loved that we got a few backstory details filled in, and wishing S4 was out tomorrow to continue the ride!

Spoiler

Terry Silver is coming back! Yes! 

I much prefer the smaller scale season 1 style stuff to the dumb Karate Kid 3-esque KARATE WAR!!! bullshit in seasons 2 and 3. Johnny and Miguel off doing their own thing was the highlight of the season and I was disappointed when they got dragged back into the overall silliness.

Hurrah!

I really expected I was going to come in here and find pages and pages of "jumped the shark" and similar comments. Really glad to see everyone is still enjoying the silliness as much as I am. 

I really liked the throwbacks with Daniel and Jonny's old girlfriends turning up. Kreese in 60s America and Vietnam was fun, too. 

S3 was really fun, but it was the worst of the 3 seasons imho.

Just, nothing happened. Stories dropped without a trace quickly, and just in all a bit of a mess. 

S2 > S1 > S3 is my rank.

So much fun but just 'meh' / 'argh' / 10

Spoiler

Hawk - just get gone. Don't care about your redemption

Kumiko - fun, but no follow up on that storyline with the car dealership (or was I drunk?)

Allie - Just a waste of time.

Johnny - Just catch a BREAK! Any tie up with Miguel's mom? Nope.

Sam - Who?

6 hours ago, revol said:

S3 was really fun, but it was the worst of the 3 seasons imho.

Just, nothing happened. Stories dropped without a trace quickly, and just in all a bit of a mess. 

S2 > S1 > S3 is my rank.

So much fun but just 'meh' / 'argh' / 10

Hide contents

Hawk - just get gone. Don't care about your redemption

Kumiko - fun, but no follow up on that storyline with the car dealership (or was I drunk?)

Allie - Just a waste of time.

Johnny - Just catch a BREAK! Any tie up with Miguel's mom? Nope.

Sam - Who?

The Johnny one isn't correct, no? That did happen.

26 minutes ago, Festoon said:

The Johnny one isn't correct, no? That did happen.

Spoiler

I meant more after they slept together. We just didn’t see her again. 

It just felt like a few too many story threads just disappeared or got dropped  

And.. done. Got through all of S3 yesterday evening. 

I'm gutted i've watched them all, it's been a great ride - look forward to S4. S1 was my favorite by a long mile, but i did enjoy the other 2 seasons even if it did feel like i was watching Power rangers at times :lol:

I've never actually watched all three Karate Kid Movies ( i remember watching the first movie maybe when i was a kid) so i might watch those sometime soon to fill in any gaps.

I have 3 episodes left, not seeing a drop in quality at all. The parts in 

Spoiler

Japan, with lots of familiar characters

Were amazing in particular, I was a bit drunk but I cried at one point.

ha ha I also cried.

general musings:

• what is aim of the fighting? Murder? Or just broken limbs?
  • When will someone get arrested for assault?
  • Jonny's son acting has got worse
  • Miquel's acting has got better
  • top product placement this season
  • was that really Japan?
  • I love this show
7 hours ago, Pete said:

ha ha I also cried.

general musings:

• what is aim of the fighting? Murder? Or just broken limbs?
  • When will someone get arrested for assault?
  • Jonny's son acting has got worse
  • Miquel's acting has got better
  • top product placement this season
  • was that really Japan?
  • I love this show

Two of the outdoor scenes looked like Japan. The rest looked like wherever in Georgia they film the rest of it.

I'm wondering how much of this is meant to be intentionally sitcom-y. The single-camera overlit US sitcom visual style that pervades throughout certainly suggests it kind of is. But then don't US soap operas usually look that style too?

(Incidentally, one of my theories was that Cobra Kai is set in a universe where handguns aren't popular – or possibly even actually legal – in the States, and alternative forms of violence like karate fill the void as an outlet for American aggression. However that seems possibly not the case, seeing as I spotted a "no guns" sign in a bar during the third season.)

8 hours ago, pastry said:

At what point do some of the other parents step in and perhaps say "no more karate for you!" 

haha, these 2 men teaching all the kids Karate has enabled every minor argument to escalate into a massive near death brawl. Karate has pretty much ruined the town. Great fun tho.

I'm blasting through this, up to season 2 episode 8. That scene where Johnny recounted the events of the first movie from his perspective was genius - he really does think Danny is a jerk who stole his girl and ruined his life :lol:

Johnny treads a fine line though, they have to keep him likeable so every wrong move has to come down to him misinterpreting something, or just being a bit out of touch. It's natural to resurrect Kreese because the show needs an actual bad guy, but there are basically no stakes beyond soapy teen romantic entanglements. Kreese needs to get his Project Mayhem up and running.

13 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

haha, these 2 men teaching all the kids Karate has enabled every minor argument to escalate into a massive near death brawl. Karate has pretty much ruined the town. Great fun tho.

When they're all going, "karate isn't the problem" and it really, really is :facepalm:

Just finished - better than S2 I thought. Liked the Kreese origin, and my guess from a few pages back has come to pass. A lot of charm in this show, and I still love that they made Johnny such a sympathetic character. As with Mando, the writers just understand what’s needed.

On 03/01/2021 at 22:39, Harsin said:

I think I've posted this in here before, but Bill Hader's story about what an arsehole Martin Kove (Kreese) is IRL is pretty funny.

thats an amazing story. I could see where it was going with the milkshake and cookie :lol:

Jonny's son is definitely the worst thing about the show, he's been awful since the start. Sam isn't much better. 

Other than that I think the kids are alright, I rather enjoy Hawk's attempts at being badass and a complete numpty at the same time. 

Finished season 3 last night, in general it's a drop in quality but it was still hugely silly and entertaining. Bring on season 4.