Dragon Quest Builders 2 - PS4/Switch - Out Now! GOTY contender.

mogawoods

36 minutes ago, Squigs said:

Have you used the scarecrow to set which seeds you'd like them to plant, and do you definitely have the seeds available in a chest nearby? You're not trying to get them to plant certain seeds without the extra bits they need to grow or anything? I'm sure that if it was outside the base Wrigley wouldn't have converted it in the first place. They're not just busy dealing with other fields already, are they? I'm sure I had a few occasions where they just took a bit longer to get around to certain fields. 

Yep I double checked all that. I just found it odd they'd till the land but not sow or water it. I left it a couple of in game days and they still didn't touch it, so I dug it up and replanted in the boundaries.

57 minutes ago, Squigs said:

How far in is everyone now? I'm a decent way through the third story island, though I've pretty much just been doing the missions without taking much time to make my rooms/bases look decent. I've not done much on the Isle of Awakening either other than the bits to progress the story.

Still in furrowfields, I think I will be for a while due to my limited game time but that is ok I'm happy to take my time & enjoy every moment.

I'm on the second visit proper to the Isle, got enough stuff unlocked now that I am in no hurry to progress the story so will be building a farmhouse and then a sort of of leisure area. I think. Had a bit of trouble getting one of the two things the main quest at that point demands you 'build' to register, but found a video tutorial to show what I was doing wrong so will fix that next time I play. 

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

You have to build the A&E.

What's the point if it'll just be sold off by the government :doh:

Seriously though I'm still on Furrowfields, I hadn't even realised that I couldn't plant the required number of plants because I had extended my farm in the wrong direction so no one was touching it :lol: I probably could do with searching out some more seeds to at some point.

One thing to look out for on that Furrowfield task is that when it asks you to plant 250 crops, don't go harvesting them until it's complete. You need 250 planted at one time, I only noticed as my total started going down.

In terms of progress I’ve done Furrowfield for now, cleared out two of the Explorer’s Shores islands - Christ they’re big - and done the basic story bits on the IoA, and a couple of optionals.

Just about to set sail for story Island 2 and excited at what I’ll find. :wub:

8 hours ago, CovisGod said:

Anybody want to hear my tale of awesomeness? 

After yesterday absolute arse of a situation I'm pleased to report the refund took little over 24 hours AND they sent me a money off code that worked so I now have this downloading for £35 :)

Can't wait to get started! 

It’ll be well worth all the pain! Have fun! And watch the hours slips away :) 

Is there a reason to go back to the story islands after you've finished each one? I'm still on Furrowfields and having a great time, but I'm not sure if I should be worrying too much about making everything look cool if I'm never going to return. I was about to make a start on roofing. :unsure:

This is so good though. I was completely hooked on Minecraft during the alpha and beta, and this has the same draw combined with infinitely more charm, along with the joy of seeing the stuff you've made actually being used. The only minor issue I have is with the combat, which is pretty tedious and one-note so far, but thankfully there's not too much of it.

2 hours ago, Mogster said:

Is there a reason to go back to the story islands after you've finished each one? I'm still on Furrowfields and having a great time, but I'm not sure if I should be worrying too much about making everything look cool if I'm never going to return. I was about to make a start on roofing. :unsure:

This is so good though. I was completely hooked on Minecraft during the alpha and beta, and this has the same draw combined with infinitely more charm, along with the joy of seeing the stuff you've made actually being used. The only minor issue I have is with the combat, which is pretty tedious and one-note so far, but thankfully there's not too much of it.

Further progress spoiler

Spoiler

I am on the second island & so far there has been no reason for me to return to Furrowfields.

On 25/07/2019 at 16:01, CovisGod said:

Anybody want to hear my tale of awesomeness? 

After yesterday absolute arse of a situation I'm pleased to report the refund took little over 24 hours AND they sent me a money off code that worked so I now have this downloading for £35 :)

Can't wait to get started! 

I had my first issue with CDKeys over this game too.  I bought the code last Sunday for £40.49, waited for hours for it to appear before emailing them to ask where it was, only to be told there was a stock error and I would be getting a refund instead.  I then ended up paying full price from the eShop, only to find that a few days later CDKeys have the game available again, and I still haven't had my money back or been offered a money off code.

Please it worked out well for you though. :)

I pre-ordered the game from CDKeys too and didn't get the code until fairly late on the day of release, when usually I'd get the code the day before and be able to preload it. Maybe they're having an issue with this particular game.

Well I’d bought Shadow of Mordor a week or so back but bounced off it pretty hard, bit dull and grim. So went for this yesterday pretty much based on the comments on this thread and so far i’m finding it pretty nice. There’s a nice humourous undercurrent to it, and also a strange maturity (the corpses on the beach actually made me gasp internally)

I never liked Minecraft which had put me off, but the building in the context of the actual game is a lot more fun. Yeah, going to give this an extended bash I think.

Well done rllmuk!

10 hours ago, spanx said:

Well I’d bought Shadow of Mordor a week or so back but bounced off it pretty hard, bit dull and grim. So went for this yesterday pretty much based on the comments on this thread and so far i’m finding it pretty nice. There’s a nice humourous undercurrent to it, and also a strange maturity (the corpses on the beach actually made me gasp internally)

I never liked Minecraft which had put me off, but the building in the context of the actual game is a lot more fun. Yeah, going to give this an extended bash I think.

Well done rllmuk!

This is key for me. I love Minecraft but only ever at arms length because the world is always 'dead'. I invite people over and we look at what we've each made with polite congrats, but they leave and it's then just me and my builds. This has a social aspect sorely missing, even if it may be superficial.

Your hammer will get upgraded at various points of the story, not sure there's any other way of triggering them. You do get explosives on the second island, but even they can't take out everything.

Mining-related spoiler/hint:

Spoiler

Even with the upgrades, ore blocks still take a few hits to smash and won't be cleared when using the big smash moves, which can be a bit annoying.

It probably comes down to personal preference really, there's obviously plenty of stuff that can be done on the Isle of Awakening after you've gained access to the second island but I figured I was better to keep going with the story to unlock more recipes.

Has anyone worked out a practical use for sluice gates yet? I opened up a channel from a small reservoir I'd built in order to supply some nearby fields and installed a gate, but the water barely flows much when you open it, it's easier just to use the bottomless jug.