rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mentazm

The Long Dark - Episode 1 & 2 Redux Update Out Now

What? Cool! Is he the main character or the cabin guy?

Apparently they have done a lot of work on Episodes 1 and 2 to make them better over the past year or whatever. I think I might hop back into this for Episode 3. It's one of those games where it requires some commitment to come back to due to the time sink and its brutal nature, I got quite far on my survival but never could be bothered to see it out. I'm going to have to read all the patch notes, surely there must be loads of good new stuff in the game these days.

23 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

What? Cool! Is he the main character or the cabin guy?

He's the bear-hating-cabin-guy yes! 

I could tell by the way he was grunting and aching. :lol:

Haha!

Caught up on the latest news and the revamped, much improved version of Episode 1 and 2 is coming in December, along with Episode 3. Be warned current Episode saves will be wiped though:

Info here:

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/20903-dev-diary-august-2018/

It all sounds great, with the exception of the new cooking system which sounds tedious as hell to me. I don't want to spend time stuck at a fire, I want to be out there exploring! I guess at least it will give you something to do when stuck inside during a blizzard.

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Haha!

Caught up on the latest news and the revamped, much improved version of Episode 1 and 2 is coming in December, along with Episode 3. Be warned current Episode saves will be wiped though:

Info here:

http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/20903-dev-diary-august-2018/

It all sounds great, with the exception of the new cooking system which sounds tedious as hell to me. I don't want to spend time stuck at a fire, I want to be out there exploring! I guess at least it will give you something to do when stuck inside during a blizzard.

Gah, seems like I picked the worst time to start playing this then lol. The redux stuff seems like much needed improvements. 

But fuck it I'll just keep at it so I can continue with episode 3 from my own save file. Curses. 

• Empathy 2

Actually I might just start anew as 80% of the dialogue rewritten isn't an entirely insignificant amount lol. It's not as if the story is the main draw but I do like a 'reward' in the form of a cutscene that gives more context to your journey. Ponder this I shall...

(plus more Jennifer Hale and David Hayter is always good)

Episode 3 has been delayed but for good reason. :omg:

The third episode of survive ’em up The Long Dark’s story mode Wintermute will not arrive in December as planned, developers Hinterland have announced, though the revamped ‘Redux’ versions of the first two should hit next month. The reason for the delay is good news, really: they’ve picked up new team members and a 36-camera motion capture setup from recently-closed studio Capcom Vancouver and want to put them to good use on episode 3. If I got a fancy toy like that, I’d also probably put a lot of things off while I played with it.

Two new animators, two new programmers, a new UI and visual effects artist, and a new tester have joined Hinterland in the last month (not all from Capcom Vancity), game director Raphael van Lierop said in yesterday’s announcement.

“Suddenly having access to all this new development talent and the motion-capture gear makes a huge difference to what we can accomplish in Episode Three,” he explained. “I’ve decided that I’d like to be able to use these new resources — along with the new motion capture equipment — to add more content and polish to Episode Three.”

That’s exactly what I would do too, once I got bored of motion-capturing silly dances for the game’s bears. Three weeks, tops.

While episode 3 won’t make December, a big update is still due then. The sandbox Survival Mode is getting updated with a new hat, tweaks, fixes, and other bits and pieces. And those Redux versions of the first two episodes, announced back in February, are still on for December.

We’ve just released the completely overhauled versions of Episodes One and Two. This reflects over a year of effort to improve our Story Mode experience based on player feedback, and to strengthen the technical foundation of our game in anticipation of the remaining three episodes to complete WINTERMUTE, which will be unlocked as they are completed.

The “Redux” represents thousands of fixes and improvements, as well as entirely new content. The number of changes are too numerous to list here. Generally, the changes are along the following themes:

* Narrative Presentation: New dialogue mode; all story is now experienced in first-person; all dialogue is fully voiced and animated. All cinematic moments have been redone.
* Narrative Content: All dialogue has been re-written and re-recorded. While the high-level story arc of Episodes One and Two remains the same, many of the supporting details have changed. We’ve introduced new plot elements, new locations, a new introduction, and overall a general layer of presentation polish on narrative content.
* Mission Structure: We’ve opened up the mission structure; previously there were several plot elements or side mission content (ex. Jeremiah’s Survival School) missions that were prerequisites to progressing in the story. As much as possible, while maintaining a logical story flow, we’ve made the mission structure more flexible. Side content is properly optional now and can be accessed over time and in between key narrative moments. 
* Gameplay Improvements: In addition to opening up the structure somewhat, we’ve also retuned many of the mission objectives to provide the right amount of challenge. We’ve worked to reduce the amount of backtracking that is required to complete missions (while maintaining the right amount of open-world exploration to keep things interesting). We’ve completely overhauled the Bear Hunt mission structure, integrating it more fully into Episode Two, adding new Bear Spear gameplay, and adding climactic new encounter to complete that story. We’ve also made improvements to how we present mission information to the player. And finally, we’ve retuned the Survival “needs” per Story Experiene (Green, Capable, Hardened) and increased the amount of ammunition (Rifle, Distress Pistol) available in the world.

We hope you enjoy the “Redux” versions of Episodes One and Two. Please note that “Predux” (i.e. the previous version of the episodes) story saves are not compatible with Redux. If you have previously completed Episodes One and Two and you have no interest in experiencing the Redux versions, you will still be able to progress into Episode Three once it is unlocked in 2019.

full patch notes

I'm happy I stopped playing as it seems like quite a substantial update (and might've even dodged a bullet as far as some later questing goes). Excited to give this a proper go now. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll be replaying this Xmas too. If we don't get snow here at least we can crunch through the Canadian snowdrifts whilst starving to death!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Does this mean the game is complete now, or are there more story chapters to come? 

Episode 3 should be Q1 2019 I believe. 

• Upvote 1

They say there are 3 more chapters for the story. As for the core survival game its complete, although little features creep in over time as they add new story episodes. The first two chapters will take you as long as a fully fledged single player game and survival mode even longer.