IGNORED

The Sinner - Jessica Biel gets stabby

Omizzay

On 04/12/2017 at 10:10, DirkCrisis said:

It was fine and seemed to be made well, but ultimately, I didn't think there was much of a mystery.

Hang on, there wasn't much of a mystery?! The entire fucking premise of "what happened and why" was a mystery, from start to end! Although I must admit to being every so slightly disappointed by how it did all finish up. 

Spoiler

It was all a bit bait & switch and the whole "hang on, so she died and was buried and none of the family - not even her thoughtful aunt - thought to question it despite not knowing what'd happened at all because Cora couldn't remember when she turned up a couple of months later, with her parents just pretending she'd died anyway and evidently nobody questioned that ever even though there was no body" was daft if you think about it,  Perhaps it was a lot less sinister and mundane a resolution than I might have expected after all the build up, as well. Still not really sure about the significance of the stabbing pattern was given the early importance of it to the case - it was pretty much why he started to confirm to Ambrose there was something to be investigated, more to it - but if it was just a replay of her last actions before being knocked out that alone does seem a bit contrived as to why she'd then use the same pattern attacking when she saw him at the beach, and then again when she went for Ambrose. 

But overall, thoroughly enjoyable. If packed full of a few too many unlikeable and/or stupid characters, I'd have liked to see that sickeningly patronising arsehole Det. Farmer get run over or something for one thing.

found this a bit of a letdown by the end. bit like stefcha, i thought that

what actually happened was too mundane after all the viewer baiting early on. was hoping for something bigger and more cosmic/esoteric.

pullman and his character were ace though, and biel's performance was good as well.

8 hours ago, stefcha said:

Hang on, there wasn't much of a mystery?! The entire fucking premise of "what happened and why" was a mystery, from start to end! Although I must admit to being every so slightly disappointed by how it did all finish up. 

Hide contents

It was all a bit bait & switch and the whole "hang on, so she died and was buried and none of the family - not even her thoughtful aunt - thought to question it despite not knowing what'd happened at all because Cora couldn't remember when she turned up a couple of months later, with her parents just pretending she'd died anyway and evidently nobody questioned that ever even though there was no body" was daft if you think about it.

Spoiler

Yep, despite enjoying it a lot, that was a pretty glaring plot hole. They addressed it when her mother visited her in prison, but it didn't ring entirely true. It was like the writers had backed themselves into a corner, and that particular issue is resolved with a few throwaway lines. You could definitely feel the plot straining at that point.

Spoiler

That was the but that actually broke it for me. When Franklin popped up at the institute I thought I'd nailed it - accidents kept there until she recovered and medicated by him etc etc. The leap to his parents doing that was a little too far, but bearable.

But Cora's parents saying she left and then Phoebe died a couple of months later? Pullman's character would have been looking for death certificates (there wouldn't be any), funeral records (there wouldn't be any) etc etc. There's no way he'd have left that stone unturned given the extraordinary lengths he went to on other avenues.

I could accept the punch pattern (and it even justified manslaughter, as she just happened to have a knife in her hand rather than it being premeditated), but that complete avenue left unexplored was daft.

The other red herrings I could handle - even the ridiculous assassination sub plot and the releasing of Mason despite him rocking up, admitting he had a gun and ditching said weapon.

I thought Biel was good, JD excellent and Pullman was getting right on my tits by the end of it. Decent, but glad it was only 8 episodes long. Not as clever as it was obtuse. 

• 10 months later...

Anyone seen S2 of this? Pullman returns but it’s a new case and a new cast. Shady goings on at a cult-like commune. It’s aired in America so can be found at the usual sources, not sure if it’s on UK TV or not but it’s not made it’s way to Netflix yet.

We’re up to episode 7 and as enthralled as we were with S1, fantastic stuff.

Less Pullman struggles, instead we get Carrie Coon? I'm in :D The Pullman stuff was the bit I liked least about season one, it all felt a bit pointless. But I think I'm gonna wait for season two to show up on Netflix, got so much other stuff to watch already.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/12/2017 at 08:23, Pelekophoros said:
  Reveal hidden contents

That was the but that actually broke it for me. When Franklin popped up at the institute I thought I'd nailed it - accidents kept there until she recovered and medicated by him etc etc. The leap to his parents doing that was a little too far, but bearable.

But Cora's parents saying she left and then Phoebe died a couple of months later? Pullman's character would have been looking for death certificates (there wouldn't be any), funeral records (there wouldn't be any) etc etc. There's no way he'd have left that stone unturned given the extraordinary lengths he went to on other avenues.

I could accept the punch pattern (and it even justified manslaughter, as she just happened to have a knife in her hand rather than it being premeditated), but that complete avenue left unexplored was daft.

The other red herrings I could handle - even the ridiculous assassination sub plot and the releasing of Mason despite him rocking up, admitting he had a gun and ditching said weapon.

I thought Biel was good, JD excellent and Pullman was getting right on my tits by the end of it. Decent, but glad it was only 8 episodes long. Not as clever as it was obtuse. 

Late to the party, but very much agree with this. I thought it was semi enjoyable nonsense. I thought the guy playing JD (who I eventually worked out was in Justified) was great. 

I only watched it because I saw Carrie Coon is in the next series, so I'll definitely move on to that. 

Just finished s2. I absolutely love Carrie Coon and find Pullman very watchable, but I otherwise can't shake the feeling that this is just an average show. Utterly ridiculous stuff happens all the time, and the peripheral characters make nonsensical decisions to advance the plot or raise some tension.

It's admittedly somewhat entertaining, but there are so many better shows to watch these days.

Oh, and I hated the Marinn (sp?) actress' character in Mindhunter, which may unfairly have made me dislike her in this. 

13 hours ago, The Fox said:

Finished S2. Found it very weird how the stuff with

Hide contents

The Beacon

sort of went nowhere.

Hide contents

It seemed like he was being set up as a key character but then we never really found out what he was planning with Julian, or why he left Mosswood.

Spoiler

I assume the bloke from the Orange adverts, having sacrificed the calf, was going to take it to the "next level" by killing Julian at some point, which is why the two cult members tried to escape with him. Also, wasn't it implied that Carrie Coon's character had killed Orange advert guy by giving him poisoned tea?

Well yeah that was what I thought his plan was, and was why he and Vera fell out, but then you never really found out for sure what happened.

The tea thing was implied of course but never followed up on. Idk that whole thing seemed weird. The middle portion of the series seemed to be setting him up as the person trying to abduct Julian with the help of Adam and Bess, but then it just turned out he wasn’t really relevant. I guess he was just a red herring, and maybe the presence of his books in the container, and Merinn making a call to a man who was meeting them at the motel was just all stuff to throw the viewer off the scent.

Who was it who made the phone call to the girl in the institution though? Who the old man said was “Satan”?

It was

Spoiler

unconnected, as I recall. Did they mention it was a missing person who'd committed suicide, or something? 

The other bit

Spoiler

the cult leader guy. I think that was mostly a red herring as well, but also they left it open whether she'd poisoned him. I thought the ambiguity was fine.

On 13/12/2017 at 08:23, Pelekophoros said:

Cora's parents saying she left and then Phoebe died a couple of months later? Pullman's character would have been looking for death certificates (there wouldn't be any), funeral records (there wouldn't be any) etc etc. There's no way he'd have left that stone unturned given the extraordinary lengths he went to on other avenues.

I've just finished it and that bit made no sense to me either. Nor did

the character of the sister. You're telling me this cosseted, perpetually ill girl who has been brought up in a strict Christian family and had no contact or interraction with the outside world would be this pervy, vivacious extrovert with seemingly no inhibitions? Nah. That bit where she gets finger-banged by her own sister was way too much.

Don't get me started on the forensic coroner (or whoever he was, the guy examining the bones at the crime scene) who didn't notice the skeleton had a crushed sternum.

Or the ridiculous pre-torn wallpaper in the family's house near the end.

Other than that, good stuff. Will get started on the new series later.

On 14/09/2017 at 18:16, Treble said:

My wife and I reckon the main bloke looks like an Aldi Kit Harrington. 

... so I'm calling him Kitbash Harrington

I hope you lot take to that joke better than my wife did. 

On 13/11/2017 at 16:33, NexivRed said:

We went with a Harrington/LaBeouf mash up. 

I think he's a precise blend of Kit Harrington and Steve Strait. I think that's his name; he's James Holden in The Expanse.

On 14/11/2018 at 21:38, Miner Willy said:

Oh, and I hated the Marinn (sp?) actress' character in Mindhunter, which may unfairly have made me dislike her in this. 

No I think that's perfectly fair, she's really weak in both. Didn't like this at all - nonsensical plot, poorly directed and horribly edited. Even Pullman, who seemed to be channeling Robin Williams circa Good Will Hunting, couldn't save it. 

Pullman is still the weakest link for me on this show, actually. Don't care about his struggles, don't like the way he talks, and his expressionless face. Actually found myself 

Spoiler

hoping he'd get shot and killed when walking towards that car :unsure:

Enjoyed the second season overall though, even though the bf and I managed to predict most of its twists and turns. 

Finished season 2 a few days ago. Thought there were plenty of plot-threads that went nowhere, and the denouement was just out the blue, having little to do with the rest of it. Lots of wasted potential in the end.

Also,

Spoiler

poor Marin has to be the most pointlessly abused and murdered character I've seen for a while.

• 3 months later...
On 25/11/2018 at 23:36, Illyria said:

Pullman is still the weakest link for me on this show, actually. Don't care about his struggles, don't like the way he talks, and his expressionless face. Actually found myself  

Reveal hidden contents

hoping he'd get shot and killed when walking towards that car :unsure:

Enjoyed the second season overall though, even though the bf and I managed to predict most of its twists and turns.  

He's the spit of my partner's dad and that made every kinky scene in season 1 absolutely hilarious!

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...