IGNORED

Biomutant, THQ Nordic

Lothar Hex

Certainly all of the criticisms in that video review in the thread are true.

I’ve just saved a second village, and you get exactly the same dialogue choices as the first village. And then exactly the same quest to gather wood. I don’t know why they didn’t delay the game a little further and have less cookie cutter content.

I’m still having fun with it so far, but I’m only about 6-7 hours in. It is a crazy kitchen sink of ideas, and I’m sure it could have been better if they’d have cut out some of the unnecessary stuff.

It feels like it was too much space to fill. Like they made this pretty great overworld map then had to stick tons of stuff in it quickly. There's a lot tp explore and find, and it still feels empty. Perhaps because none of it demands anything of you. You go to a place and there's some things to fight and/or boxes to open and then that's it. On to the next one. You're in trouble when your entire main questline feels like padding.

It needed to be much smaller, and really focus on about a quarter of the elements.

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Certainly all of the criticisms in that video review in the thread are true.

I’ve just saved a second village, and you get exactly the same dialogue choices as the first village. And then exactly the same quest to gather wood. I don’t know why they didn’t delay the game a little further and have less cookie cutter content.

I’m still having fun with it so far, but I’m only about 6-7 hours in. It is a crazy kitchen sink of ideas, and I’m sure it could have been better if they’d have cut out some of the unnecessary stuff.

When I saw the GUI design and then learned it was being made by some people who had something to with the Lost Cause series I kinda knew it was going to be a go here and do this thing game.

11 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

When I saw the GUI design and then learned it was being made by some people who had something to with the Lost Cause series I kinda knew it was going to be a go here and do this thing game.

The strange thing is, like was pointed out in the video, they almost seem to accept that people are fed up repeating the same tasks. There are lots of places you discover which have no enemies to fight at all, and lots of loot. That’s not really much of a solution though- as it just feels like you’re getting something for nothing, no challenge. Why have anything there in the first place?

On 23/05/2021 at 12:56, rgraves said:

Yes. It really is. It’s obviously not a reflection on the actual power of PS5, but it’s also obviously not a good look, it’ll be amplified on social media, and you can bet that if this does well Sony will be all over them to fix it up.

This isn’t how it works by the way. They can’t just reach out to a third party dev and go “hey make your game the same as it is on Xbox”.

Now if they’d had the marketing deal, then it probably would have been the same on both from day one.

Pretty sure the devs have already said native versions are on the way anyway.

2 hours ago, Bojangle said:

This isn’t how it works by the way. They can’t just reach out to a third party dev and go “hey make your game the same as it is on Xbox”.

They could reach out and say "we'd like this to be better on PS5, let us help both financially and technically (including resources if needed) to understand your issues and hopefully make that happen as soon as possible" - and I'm sure they would have if this had taken off.

As it is, review scores seem all over the place - so I doubt it'll become big enough for them to worry about - they'll just let the devs do whatever they already had planned and drown out anything potentially negative with the Horizon news dump.

3 minutes ago, rgraves said:

They could reach out and say "we'd like this to be better on PS5, let us help both financially and technically (including resources if needed) to understand your issues and hopefully make that happen as soon as possible" - and I'm sure they would have if this had taken off.

You need to be on a Square Enix, Capcom kinda level for this to actually happen.

Also they could throw all the money at it in the world, the fact is the BC on PS5 is hamstrung so expect this with stuff running in BC more unless Sony themselves change the restriction on the SDK level.

Looks lovely on PC at absolute max everything and what seems to be a locked 60fps at 4K. Is there no HDR? Can't find it in the options whether I enable it via W10 or not.

No HDR seems a daft omission if so, it being such a lush, colourful game.

EDIT* To answer my own question, from doing a bit of googling it would seem no HDR on any platform. Shame as it has the type of graphics and world that would be enhanced by the extra richness HDR brings. 

On 22/05/2021 at 18:18, Uncle Nasty said:

Don't you think the gameplay looks dated in a kind of PS2 era way? To me it looks like something you'd yarr on the Yod@box and not bother past the tutorial.

I remember in the PS1 era reviewers criticised The Divide: Enemies Within for being too much like a 16-bit game, because it followed Super Metroid's style of design (before that style was in vogue). I don't really get the criticism of the mechanics being too much like the PS2/Xbox generation. What current games, from a mechanical point of view, are you comparing it to? This sentence I typed sounds confrontational, and it's not meant to be - really I just want to know what current games you feel are representative of being modern, so I can try them, because to me this game (mechanically, not visually) looks to be fairly complex and of the current generation. Are we talking gameplay depth? Camera control? Inventory/HUD?

Also...

Am I the only one who keeps seeing this game and mixing it up with Mutant: Year Zero?

4 minutes ago, Sketch said:

I remember in the PS1 era reviewers criticised The Divide: Enemies Within for being too much like a 16-bit game, because it followed Super Metroid's style of design (before that style was in vogue). I don't really get the criticism of the mechanics being too much like the PS2/Xbox generation. What current games, from a mechanical point of view, are you comparing it to? This sentence I typed sounds confrontational, and it's not meant to be - really I just want to know what current games you feel are representative of being modern, so I can try them, because to me this game (mechanically, not visually) looks to be fairly complex and of the current generation. Are we talking gameplay depth? Camera control? Inventory/HUD?

Also...

Am I the only one who keeps seeing this game and mixing it up with Mutant: Year Zero?

It's basically the exact same premise as M:YZ to the point where I wonder if it was originally meant to be licensed from the original board game. 

11 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Especially not if they’d played it first.

On 24/05/2021 at 19:54, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I reckon this will be one of those poor to middling reviewed games that I'll still enjoy. A lot of the criticisms don't put me off all that much and I know I'll enjoy the open world trudgery. 

I was thinking the same, but it bored the tits off me not even two hours in. 

2 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

I was thinking the same, but it bored the tits off me not even two hours in. 

Yeah, first impressions are poor. It can look nice at times, but it also feels incredibly janky and the stop start and overly twee intro is not great. I also really dislike the nonsense speak that then gets translated by some asthmatic professor. I'd genuinely rather read text than listen to that.

But I'm not going to give up on it just yet. Combat seems fun at least and maybe once out of the intro and into the open world it will pick up a bit.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-02-big-biomutant-patch-lets-you-shut-the-narrator-up

Huge patch apparently, now on PC soon on consoles. Patch notes spoilered for length

Spoiler

Biomutant Update 1.4 Patch Notes (PC)

PC Specific

● Fixed crash with AMD-based CPUs with built-in graphics.
● Fixed crash when device info contains invalid display data on AMD-based CPUs.

Tutorial Area

In order to improve the pacing of the early parts of the game, we’ve edited dialogues to be shorter. We’ve also added more enemies and loot to these areas to better represent the experience later in the game.
● Added more early enemy encounters.
● Added missing loot in empty trenches outside Jagni Fortress.
● Added Item drop chance for Bunker 101 crates.
● Updated Best-Before memory to decrease the distance between the Nonos and the Pensai tree.
● Removed some parts of Out-of-Date and Best-Before’s dialogues to improve pacing.
● Removed multiple dialogue fragments to shorten tutorial area length.
● Removed some parts of Goop and Gizmo’s dialogues to improve pacing.
● Removed multiple camera presentations to improve pacing.

Dialogue & Narrator

● Reduced the amount of gibberish spoken before the Narrator starts translating.
● Added dialogue setting toggles for “Gibberish” and “Narrator” allowing players to select if they want to hear the narrator, the gibberish or both when talking to NPCs.
● Fixed narration and gibberish playing silently and producing an awkward pause when each corresponding volume setting is set to 0 instead of skipping the sound entirely.
● Removed the text delay animation when either gibberish or narration is disabled.

Difficulty Settings

● Added “Extreme” difficulty setting, where enemy damage and attack rate is further increased.
● Fixed difficulty settings not being applied for already spawned enemies.

New Game+

● Opened up all class perks for NG+ games. When starting an NG+ game, the player will now be able to unlock perks from all classes.

Settings

● Added Motion Blur slider to the settings.
● Fixed so the camera setting “Auto Adjust > Player” also applies for combat, if turned off the camera will no longer try to frame enemies while in combat.
● Fix Depth of Field toggle not being applied in dialogues

Items & Loot

● Increased chances that items found have a level requirements closer to the player’s actual level when found. Players will still be able to find items with higher level requirements, but player level is now taken into account.
● Removed Common item loot drops from high level loot crates.
● Reduced the amount of healing items that the player will find from crates and defeated enemies.
● Increased base damage from melee bodies, handles and addons by approximately 5%.
● Reduced base damage from ranged bodies, muzzles and grips by approximately 5%.
● Fixed resistance stats not being applied for crafted gear when adding addons.
● Reduced gear addon resistance and critical chance bonuses. ● Ensured that quest reward “Diver’s Helmet” will no longer drop as random loot.
● Removed slots from all protective suits.

Sound

● Updated melee sound effects across the board.
● Updated mount sound effects volume.
● Added sound effects for tribe war trebuchet.
● Updated sounds when the player lands inside HQ after being launched from catapult.

Combat

● Fixed issue with abnormally high damage output due to consumable top mod applying meta damage multiple times during equip and unequip.
● Fixed ability damage not being able to inflict critical hits.
● Reduced Dead-Eye Sharpshooter perk damage multiplier from 2.0 to 1.25 to ensure that it is comparable to other perks.
● Disabled end-of-combat slow motion camera for short combat scenarios.
● Adjusted valid angles for combat targets to reduce camera movement in combat.
● Disabled camera look-at when striking characters up in the air.
● Fixed a few cases where airstriking would not complete its last attack.
● Adjusted speed of some enemy grabs. It is now a bit easier to dodge them in time.
● Fixed kick attack from smaller enemies being too difficult to parry. Parry window is now more consistent and enemies can be staggered out of it.
● All Tribe Sifus and Lupa Lupin in the final encounter now react stronger to being parried, allowing players to parry and then counterattack.
● Fixed issues with tracking on Jagni Staff attacks. First three hits will no longer overshoot targets and dodge attack is more reliable.
● Fixed sometimes spawning double death particle effects on defeated enemies.
● Fixed issue with Pichu Nanchuk not stopping its animation.
● Fixed larger enemies with melee weapons animating too quickly at slow walking speeds.
● Adjusted hit reactions for Morks to make melee more viable and satisfying to use.
● Fixed issue with dodge shooting while reloading not moving the character correctly.
● Fixed issue with Airstrike sometimes being canceled.
● Adjusted the range for melee attacks to improve enemy tracking and reduce misses.
● Fixed issue where melee gap closer would sometimes overshoot.
● Fixed backwards attack for crush weapons resulting in a miss most of the time.
● Adjusted animations for unarmed and glove attacks to be faster.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes become stuck underneath larger enemies after being knocked to the ground.
● Added ability to slide underneath legs of titans.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes get stuck inside an enemy after a vault or legslide move.
● Fixed issue where the player would sometimes get stuck inside an enemy after Airstrike.
● Adjusted sound and rumble effect for successful parry to improve feedback.
● Fixed issue where Airstrike would cause enemies to be launched very far.
● Improved aiming for Jumbo Puff when throwing rocks.

Quests & Achievements

● Fixed game progress not being able to reach 100% due to unavailable quest states within a single playthrough.
● Fixed “Back to the Roots” quest sometimes not being completed.
● Adjusted tribe war flow to be more robust.
● Fixed the “Old World Gadgets” trophy correctly unlocking after finding old world gadgets.

Crash Fixes

● Fixed crash when moving objects between areas using Telekinesis.

User Interface

● New weapon Wung-Fu is now only unlocked when the player has crafted a new weapon instead of being unlocked when looting an individual component.
● Added correct “fast travel locked” message when attempting to fast travel while climbing a ladder or falling.
● Added Mercenary DLC indicator to the main menu.
● Added dark backdrop to QTE prompts to improve readability on lighter backgrounds.
● Moved Comic-book Effects to ensure that the counter QTE prompt is visible.
● Reversed Hypoxia Warning percent value to be consistent with other zones.
● Added fading to enemy & friendly markers at 30m distance to reduce HUD clutter.

World

● Remove several area objectives from Suburbia, as they are tied to the Moog quest and could cause confusion.
● Replaced a couple of NPC tasks that didn’t work as intended.
● Added missing “No-Rain” volume to the sewer entrance at oil fields to prevent indoor rain effect.
● Subnautica station is now fully covered by correct post-process volume.
● Improved look for indoor puddles.
● Fixed issue where the player was able to fall through the world in the Myriad Fortress.
● Fixed issue where the player was able to fall through the world in an Ankati Outpost.
● Fixed issue where big oil planes were possible to walk on.
● Fixed Oil Field Monster’s presentation camera being triggered underground.
● Fixed area objectives for Gutway 6G counting incorrect amount of Superb Loot.

Miscellaneous

● Disabled fast travel when jumping from water.
● Fixed issue where the “Unspeakable hand” Wung-Fu could cause NPCs to fall through water surfaces instead of drowning.
● Fixed issue with rocket NPC being stuck in air after explosion.
● Fixed issue with rocket NPC explosion particle effects popping when being removed.
● Adjusted free-fall duration needed for Mounts to trigger hard landing.
● Fixed attribute check labels in puzzles incorrectly being displayed as “Loot Chance” instead of “Intellect”.
● Fixed infinite jump while using photo mode.
● Fixed fireflies not spamming narration when caught.
● Fixed child memories being auto-completed when opening photo mode.
● Fixed some doors opening after using photo mode.
● Fixed smoke from burning villages sometimes being rendered as stripes on AMD GPU’s.
● Adjusted default camera pitch up a bit so it’s not positioned directly behind the player
● Fixed resistance being reset after modifying appearance.

• 6 months later...