rllmuk
Don Rosco

Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

Does anyone know if this is filmed with IMAX cameras? I can't seem to find online. I caught the trailer at IMAX yesterday and it looked insanely good. 

Trying to book for this week but the IMAX viewing is 10pm vs gold class of 8pm..

Booked IMAX. Had to.

3 hours ago, skittles said:

Does anyone know if this is filmed with IMAX cameras? I can't seem to find online. I caught the trailer at IMAX yesterday and it looked insanely good. 

Trying to book for this week but the IMAX viewing is 10pm vs gold class of 8pm..

Booked IMAX. Had to.

IMDB is your friend here:

99E94D5B-77EC-40A8-B83C-9F3A99B3323C.thumb.jpeg.d625957127bc0883d6c0612a0cb57f29.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I think this will definitely have appeal to a bunch of people who feel hard done by. 

I’m going to spoiler what I thought just in case.

So, the first 2/3rds are really slow and not much happens. Then it picks up and eventually rolls on to some powerful scenes later on, which I very much enjoyed. It’s kind of pitched as such a ‘real’ film, you get jarred when you are reminded it is part of a comic universe. 

What I liked best of all is the combination of feelings you have towards Arthur. Simultaneous sympathy, empathy, disgust and horror. I think it’s quite possible to cheer along the idea of what he does, while being appalled by him actually doing it. In a way this is what makes him such an appealing bad guy, but I think the movie struggles with trying to decide whether to celebrate the really awful stuff he does, especially in the final scene. Then again, if and when you find yourself on some level cheering along with him, And you catch yourself, it is uncomfortable, and I like that. 

I guess I would have liked to have felt more uncomfortable with him from the start, but the way they set him up is a bit too sympathetic. It’s too easy to like him. 

It looks amazing. I would have liked to have seen more of a build up in how the support for him evolves. You get the feeling of tension In Gotham, but not enough. And I wish they had made the alleyway scene shorter and more brutal. 

Those scenes after the talk show are wild, and I felt part of what was going on, it’s hard not to, I think, even though it clearly strays in to a more comic world area. 

Will be interested to hear the collective forum’s take on it.

• Upvote 4

I get a sense that this film is simply going to be shining the harshest of lights on society today. Which is crazy to think of a comic movie. Yet perhaps that in itself fits in with the way society is right now.

Great non spoiler review from Grace.

Spoiler

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Thor said:

My good friend @Herbalizer has bought tickets for Friday ...

_20191002_114057.thumb.JPG.bcc954369f952ef09890a86fb6bbb025.JPG

I personally wouldn't put myself in that situation for the sake of cheap cinema tickets.      Unless that's your kink...

8 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I get a sense that this film is simply going to be shining the harshest of lights on society today.

Apparently Thomas Wayne is portrayed as a harsh capitalist with the typical 'its your own fault you are poor' type of guy. I would love to see a Batman Vs Joker movie in an alternate universe where Batman is a fascist vigilante working with the government to keep the status quo while the Joker is a freedom fighter.

I'd pay good money to watch that movie. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Apparently Thomas Wayne is portrayed as a harsh capitalist with the typical 'its your own fault you are poor' type of guy. I would love to see a Batman Vs Joker movie in an alternate universe where Batman is a fascist vigilante working with the government to keep the status quo while the Joker is a freedom fighter.

Well Thomas Wayne is a billionaire businessmen and if we're being honest, they're all cunts who give zero fucks about the little man.

Your idea actually sound pretty great though. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Frank Miller has you covered

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Loki.7 said:

I personally wouldn't put myself in that situation for the sake of cheap cinema tickets.      Unless that's your kink...

Lol, no-one is going to ask. You clearly have issues. 

13 minutes ago, Stevie said:

what?

all of Frank Millers work is: 

an alternate universe where Batman is a fascist vigilante

even the stuff that isn't batman...

17 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Well Thomas Wayne is a billionaire businessmen and if we're being honest, they're all cunts who give zero fucks about the little man.

Your idea actually sound pretty great though. 

Thomas was originally a Doctor and philanthropist who inherited his money. So not really a cunt.

But this is comics so he can be whatever people want him to be I suppose.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

all of Frank Millers work is: 

even the stuff that isn't batman...

Oh, I'm really not that familiar with his work. 

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

He's overrated.

In some people's eyes. 

Others think his Daredevil run is some of the best the character ever got. 

Oh and the first Dark Knight is pretty good still. You can't deny its place in the comic books that's changed comic books world. 

52 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Thomas was originally a Doctor and philanthropist who inherited his money. So not really a cunt.

But this is comics so he can be whatever people want him to be I suppose.

Well shut me up for presuming too much. 

24 minutes ago, SM47 said:

The Dark Knight Returns is most definitely not overrated 

That is yes.

But Miller's Daredevil, Batman Year One and his earlier artwork is all pretty amazing.

• Upvote 1

It's Miller's later work that has brought his reputation down low..

The terrible All Star Batman & Robin and especially the godawful Holy Terror were rightly criticised for their blatant homophobia, misogyny and racism.. 

Poor Dark Knight follow-ups haven't helped much either..

Watched this today, can see why the reviews have been quite polarised. It’s a good film in places, lacking in others.

Not quite sure Phoenix’s performance doesn’t lurch into being too cartoonish in an otherwise why so serious film. Like the personality inconsistencies though, veering from self-awareness to self-pity to anger to delusion. Certainly makes up for whatever the fuck Jared Leto thought he was doing in the previous screen incarnation of the Joker.

Felt the confession scene on Murray Franklin’s Show was drawn out longer than necessary, and highlighted the film’s main flaw: too little faith in its audience.

It was obvious that Fleck imagined his interactions with Sophie, and didn’t need spelling out with alternate view flashbacks. Same as didn’t need two minutes of inane, heavy-handed questioning after Fleck confessed his crimes. A bit less tell and a bit more show would have gone a long way.

Good, not great.  It is a nice change to have a more downtrodden comic book film, even if it’s not as deep and meaningful as it thinks it is.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Well shut me up for presuming too much. 

See the point is, his death, the death of an innocent, is what sets Bruce off down the path of the batman. If Thomas had been a cunt then there would be no justification for Bruce becoming a psychotic vigilante with dead parent issues. If his dad had been a cunt then we would have no sympathy with Bruce's' eventual decision to go round dressed like a bat, beating the living crap out of low life scum and damaged mentally ill people.

If anything Thomas is the only absolutely non cunt in the whole batman world. He has a back story unlike bruce's mother who just has some pearls. Thomas dies trying to protect his family from the scum he was trying to help. 

As for the Joker, now he is a cunt and will always be so because he takes nothing but pleasure in the misery of others. He's not a sociopath for the money and fame, he's doing it for the kicks. In the comic book universe at least, i suspect as i've not seen it, that this film may try and paint him at a man damaged by a heartless society that just doesn't listen. This Joker will just be crying out for attentions from an uncaring world boo hoo. Not a murdering nutjob who wants to kill and hurt all those around him 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

As for the Joker, now he is a cunt and will always be so because he takes nothing but pleasure in the misery of others. He's not a sociopath for the money and fame, he's doing it for the kicks. In the comic book universe at least, i suspect as i've not seen it, that this film may try and paint him at a man damaged by a heartless society that just doesn't listen. This Joker will just be crying out for attentions from an uncaring world boo hoo. Not a murdering nutjob who wants to kill and hurt all those around him 

That’s where Nolan and Ledger got the Joker right, I feel. He was shown to revel in chaos for chaos’ sake, causing the character to be genuinely terrifying at times. Details like his inconsistent telling of how he got his scars lend to that: his instability is random, not something borne out of a troubled childhood or neglect. He is just a completely deranged bastard.

• Upvote 5

After feeling a bit so-what about this I've built up quite a lot of enthusiasm for it since the trailer. I'm going to see it tomorrow and am genuinely excited.

I saw The Guardian's review headline today: 'Most Disappointing Film of the Year' (2 stars) and felt a bit deflated. I won't read it in case of spoilers. But wait. Maybe it was Peter Bradshaw, who's reviews are generally terrible and I rarely agree with.

Please be Peter Bradshaw.

Yes! It was Peter Bradshaw.

16 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

After feeling a bit so-what about this I've built up quite a lot of enthusiasm for it since the trailer. I'm going to see it tomorrow and am genuinely excited.

I saw The Guardian's review headline today: 'Most Disappointing Film of the Year' (2 stars) and felt a bit deflated. I won't read it in case of spoilers. But wait. Maybe it was Peter Bradshaw, who's reviews are generally terrible and I rarely agree with.

Yes! It was Peter Bradshaw.

I literally just did this. 

Saw the title so clicked, saw Peter Bradshaw so LOL. 

Also, didn't read because it'll be spoiler filled.