Joker origin film - Joaquin Phoenix Confirmed

19 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Man of Steel was the film that killed my enthusiasm for cinema a few years ago.  I sat watching two invincible characters punching each other for two hours and I don't want to ever do that again.  This lead me to miss Avengers, Marvel Universe etc and even dampened my enthusiasm for stuff I should really like, such as Star Wars.  Movies have become theme park rides. Bang! Explosion! Boom! Dolby Atmos! Whoosh! Look at all the explosion!

That's exactly how I see it. So many movies with special effects for the sake of special effects that leave me cold. Action scenes too long and dull and unbelievable to mention. Superhero films that are all bluster and no substance.

Which is why, having not followed the progress of this film, I had to be virtually dragged to see it and why it was such a huge breath of fresh air.

42 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

You should have caught Blade Runner 2049 at the cinema...probably among the best cinema experiences i've ever had. The music alone elevated it, I even sat through all the credits.

I did! It was great. Shame it didnt do well, but I watched it again on Netflix and it looked lovely but didnt have the impact.  Like, in cinema "impact" can be something that inspires awe, or is impressively soothing, where the big movie companies think "impact" means "explosion!"

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

the big movie companies think "impact" means "explosion!"

Nah.  But there is a massive market for those films, so they're always going to make them.

The last three films from some of the big studios are:

Fox:

July 12, 2019 - Stuber

August 9, 2019- The Art of Racing in the Rain

September 20, 2019 - Ad Astra

Warner:

September 6, 2019 - It Chapter Two

September 13, 2019 - The Goldfinch

October 4, 2019 - Joker

Paramount:

May 31, 2019 - Rocketman

July 12, 2019 - Crawl

August 9, 2019 - Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Sony/Columbia:

July 2, 2019 - Spider-Man: Far From Home

July 26, 2019 - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

August 14, 2019 - The Angry Birds Movie

Plenty more studios you could look at, too.  There's a huge variety of styles (and quality) in there, and more than enough (across all of the studios) to keep you entertained once a week at the movies.  You just need to filter out the stuff you're not interested in seeing.

9 minutes ago, Popo said:

What’s the thing he writes down into his notebook at the comedy club? 

“Sexy jokes = ALWAYS funny”, something like that?

:lol:

Want the Blu Ray to come out so we can get some screen caps of his notebooks.

I think one of the things he wrote down was 'slick back hair' as if that was one of the key ingredients of successful comedy. Then at the end he does.

Something I don't quite get. For a brief moment ...

Spoiler

... after killing the big guy who set him up with the gun, he comments to the dwarf in a right cockerney geezer accent, "fackin' crazy, innit, me on the telly"

It sounds like a movie quote, but I can't place it...

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

Right now I feel the best movies are on Netflix or VOD services and the cinema is just for theme park ride movies. 

You fucking what mate? Cinema is in a golden age. There are too many great films to watch at the cinema. Netflix is an absolute shitshow for movies. Just stop going to see studio films. 

Agreed. There are a ton of great and interesting films released every year. You just need to work a little bit harder to find and see them. 

Buy an issue of Sight & Sound magazine and you’ll see a huge range of interesting films released both in the cinema and to watch at home that month. 

Relying on multiplexes or Netflix for your films and then complaining about the range and quality is like complaining about having a boring diet while eating McDonalds everyday. 

17 minutes ago, bridger said:

Agreed. There are a ton of great and interesting films released every year. You just need to work a little bit harder to find and see them. 

Maybe my issue here is more local than I imagine. Just trying to book to see the new Chris Morris film when it opens, and the nearest cinema is a 80 minute drive away.  We do have a local indie which is very good but they don't tend to show films until a few weeks after release.  I wanted to see The Disaster Artist and our Vie didn't show it.  Our Vue cinema has 5 screens and when a big comic book movie comes out they show it on all five, at the expense of anything else.

1 hour ago, Indistinct chattering said:

You fucking what mate? Cinema is in a golden age. There are too many great films to watch at the cinema. Netflix is an absolute shitshow for movies. Just stop going to see studio films. 

Have you seen I Don't Feel At Home In This World Any More? Or I am Mother? Or Annihilation? Bird Box?

My nearest town is Doncaster which is about as close to a cultural black hole as there can be. The nearest places that show anything interesting in a cinema are either Leeds or Sheffield. 

But just because my local cinemas doesn’t show anything other than super hero or kids cartoons doesn’t mean that cinema is shit. It means that my local cinema is shit. I therefore buy disks and subscribe to Mubi, both of which offer more interesting films each month than I have the time to watch. 

Just back from this and I loved it but the wife not so much, I need to work it out in my head and see it again but my initial reaction has been ‘wow’

Except... I’m humming Gary Glitter tunes and can’t get over Paper Boi being all ‘bout them papers :lol:

Our local Vue cinema did an offer, all films £4.99, all the time, for a year.  The deal was extended for another year and I think it's been on for about three years now.  I'm not sure if there is a genuine link but it seems to me that when they this, the scheduling changed too.  Now, they do a full 35 minutes of adverts and previews before the film starts and the advertised start time is from the beginning of the adverts, not the trailers.  But also the films that they show have massively skewed towards the major blockbusters, and the smaller, independent films have pretty much disappeared.  From my research earlier, I'll have to drive 80 minutes to the nearest cinema showing the new Chris Morris film, wait a few weeks for it to come to the one indie cinema we have, or see it on Netflix or somewhere eventually.  

I'd pay £10 - £20 for a cinema ticket where the cinema didn't show adverts, advertised a start time 5 minutes before the film starts, didn't let anyone in after the start time,and served sweets in wrappers that don't crinkle. A cinema that chucks people out for talking, using their phones or reading the newspaper (yes, I had that at Shutter Island, proper broadsheet.  People in that cinema use it as a warm place to sit for a few hours).  The race to the bottom that Vue seems to have introduced by doing all the films for £4.99 is a waste of time if they stop showing the films you wanted to see.

Many years back I went to a Virgin Cinema in Bolton.  Not there any more, but it had a similar idea.  Expensive tickets to keep out the noisy people, free popcorn, comfy seats.   Licenced bar to wait in. Staff that were paid enough to care.  Comfy seats that were in pairs with lift-able armrests and a table between each. Special nights for retro movies, themed movies, indie cinema and all that.  It did close down back then, but I'd be happy to travel to go to a cinema like that.  instead, all my nearby cinemas went a bit cheap and I have to travel further afield to go somewhere that a resident of a big city would think of as normal.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

What's that got to do with what he said? 

He said Netflix was a shitshow for movies.  These are all films I considered to be good, and none of them showed at a Cinema near me,

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

He said Netflix was a shitshow for movies.  These are all films I considered to be good, and none of them showed at a Cinema near me,

Those films are all well below par compared to whats being released in (decent) cinemas. Try to get your hands on High Life, Birds of Passage, Parasite, Long Days Journey Into Night, Hagazussa, Climax, The Lighthouse (all from this year only). 

Its been an AMAZING year for cinema. Fucking sucks that these films dont reach you.

2 hours ago, denisb said:

This .

some of the best films and best times I’ve had were at the electric in brum

I would genuinely love to but I live in the middle of Yorkshire and my local indie only ever shows box office films (just weeks down the line).

I'm hoping when we get the new cinema in my town (it's going to be an everyman) they might show some more independent films.

31 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I would genuinely love to but I live in the middle of Yorkshire and my local indie only ever shows box office films (just weeks down the line).

I'm hoping when we get the new cinema in my town (it's going to be an everyman) they might show some more independent films.

I’m the same now it’s 120 mile round trip for my nearest multiplex chain 

I like my local but it’s either the big films or live ballet 

42 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I’m the same now it’s 120 mile round trip for my nearest multiplex chain 

I like my local but it’s either the big films or live ballet