Secret of Mana Remake

Bleeders

• 4 months later...

Somehow, though, this new Secret of Mana manages to recapture little of the older version’s appeal. Remakes should ideally strip away a game’s outdated or broken elements while enshrining its strengths. Secret of Mana’s remake instead emphasizes the parts of the original that didn’t quite work while leeching all joy from the parts that did. What few things it changes, it alters for the worse. This is a remarkable remake, but not in a good way: the kind of update that leaves you scratching your head wondering how they could hew so closely to the original and yet manage to get everything about it so catastrophically wrong.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/15/17012102/secret-of-mana-review-remake-ps4-vita-playstation-sony-pc-release-square-enix

Well, I guess we all kind of expected it...

46 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

The original AoM, SoM and SD3 in one package would be immediately snapped up.

Then again, that would mean they need to localize SD3...

One can dream.

Just shamelessly copy-paste the fan translation! Squeenix already puts out so many embarrassing stuff like this remake, why bother feeling self-conscious about stealing that shit. Easy money, no need to even pay a work experience kid to translate.

Christ on a bike. What's with the bizarre french accordion at the beginning? It's a flute in the original FFS. The soundtrack for SoM is etched into my head, it's beautiful. I guess I'll skip this and either wait for the Switch collection to be localised or just buy the Japanese release even though I won't understand it.

This arrived this morning. I lasted 3 songs of the arranged soundtrack before heading to options for ANYTHING else. Luckily it also has the original soundtrack as an option, so it’s original all the way. I’m not sure how they managed to get the audio so wrong. It’s like EVERY focus point of a tune is incorrect.

Also, there’s an option for JPN voices with Engilish subtitles so you don’t need to listen to the English voices.

Not sure what to make of it yet. One thing I’ve felt is that the 3D space makes you more prone to missing enemies, especially if you perform one of the random straight poke attacks instead of a horizontal swipe.

Shooting out of the cannon doesn’t give you a map view of you flying through the air - why?

My main concern for this are the people who have never played the game before but have “heard it was a classic” so pick it up with high expectations. Those people will only likely be disappointed and be like “WTF are those guys talking about”

Played this for 3.5 hours straight this morning. I’ve largely made my peace with it.

In that time I had a soft lock where the boss in Gaia’s Navel pushed my into the environment and I got stuck and the 2nd was a straight crash wandering around the underground palace.

The game is a bit scruffy and has definitely been made on a budget. 

‘The Core of the game is still there and I largely enjoyed my session this morning.

I've played through a chunk of this, and I've been really enjoying it. 

It's odd, it is a very low budget remake that does deviate away from the original in loads of ways, which kinda makes it it's own thing.

Judged on it's own merits, it's a fun action RPG that's a lot better than a lot of the similar guff that can come out. 

John Linneman is totally on the money with that DF video. I often find his opinions on games in general to be pretty good!

Even though it's a tech channel, I almost find them to be the best review source available. 

It's a good game. It's not the Secret of Mana remake that people might already have in their heads, or maybe not the one that the original game deserves.. but it's good fun. 

I'm also still glad the original still exists. 

17 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Do wish they improved the ratio of misses and when mobs are flat out with no hits registering.

Forgot how grindy this game is.

Switch weapons. The game tracks different attack types and some weapons have a far better chance of hitting, say... green slimes.

17 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Do wish they improved the ratio of misses and when mobs are flat out with no hits registering.

Forgot how grindy this game is.

I only found the first boss to be a pain in the ass on the SNES version. I went through the rest of the game without an issue. I killed everything as it appeared onscreen, but certainly didn't have to hang around the same screens in order to build up XP. We've just had this turn up at Retro Gamer Towers so I'm looking forward to finding out if it's as bad as everyone is saying. My guess is that it won't be.

1 hour ago, strider said:

I only found the first boss to be a pain in the ass on the SNES version. I went through the rest of the game without an issue. I killed everything as it appeared onscreen, but certainly didn't have to hang around the same screens in order to build up XP. We've just had this turn up at Retro Gamer Towers so I'm looking forward to finding out if it's as bad as everyone is saying. My guess is that it won't be.

As in the Mantis? Or the Pineapple Plant?

12 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

As in the Mantis? Or the Pineapple Plant?

Hang on. I'm thinking of the spiky tiger. That's the only spike I ever noticed that required excessive grinding.

I have the same issue on Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin. I'm on the last boss and can't kill it as I'm about 15 levels below the expected level. Annoys the crap out of me and I see it more in Japanese releases than I do in western ones.

5 hours ago, strider said:

Hang on. I'm thinking of the spiky tiger. That's the only spike I ever noticed that required excessive grinding.

I have the same issue on Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin. I'm on the last boss and can't kill it as I'm about 15 levels below the expected level. Annoys the crap out of me and I see it more in Japanese releases than I do in western ones.

Spiky is indeed a bit tough. Especially if you kind of hurry through the forest and Elinee's castle. Put bluntly, if you need a Cup of Wishes in the castle, you should level a bit. :P

But yes, Japanese games are a bit more comfortable with letting you grind without warning.

Probably my fault all the grinding. I just can't move on till i've grinded a new weapon orb with everyone, same goes for magic.

I do weapon switch, its more of a case you knock a mob on its backside and all of a sudden hits no longer register. Its a bit hit or miss when this happens, but its more often than not. But this was in the original game as well.

I have 4 seeds thus far and have access to the full map. I don't know why they cut the cannon travel sequence when the map has been fully rendered for travel.

Don't know if it's been posted, but there's a lovely SoM theme available for free on PSN.

I love the art for this game so much. That original boxart is so beautiful.

As for the remake itself, I can't make my mind up on it. It looks good in places - mostly the greener areas and the starting zones - but really cheap and nasty in others. Some of the weapons and movement feel off. But then the original had it own quirks that I've just become accustomed to after playing through it a half dozen or so times over the years.

12 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Probably my fault all the grinding. I just can't move on till i've grinded a new weapon orb with everyone, same goes for magic.

I do weapon switch, its more of a case you knock a mob on its backside and all of a sudden hits no longer register. Its a bit hit or miss when this happens, but its more often than not. But this was in the original game as well.

I have 4 seeds thus far and have access to the full map. I don't know why they cut the cannon travel sequence when the map has been fully rendered for travel.

Isn’t that simply the “knock out” effect? Some hits/weapons set enemies up for chains, others break the chain and provide respite for the target. Works both ways btw. Spiky can get you in a nasty combo at times, effectively one-shotting you.

Always appreciated that in the game though, it’s a nice mechanic to exploit. :) (Because screw those polar wolves.)

31 minutes ago, Zero9X said:

Just came across a bug in the palace of darkness. Opened the glove orb chest, disappeared, then the chest reappeared but unopened. Opened it for another glove orb...

Hopefully doesn't screw my playthrough. Trying to platinum it.

They actually reproduced the weird orb issues? I think it was a glove orb that did that in the original, a remnant of the legacy of the game being changed from a cd game to cartridge.