rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Commander Jameson

Star Wars: Episode IX - 12/9 JJ Abrams to write and direct

Don't know if we have an Episode 9 topic yet, but Colin Trevorrow has stepped down from directing.

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-statement-regarding-star-wars-episode-ix

A STATEMENT REGARDING STAR WARS: EPISODE IX

Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.

• Upvote 2

I don't know much about Treverrow but from JW he doesn't seem like the kind of director to have creative differences with the studio. I was fearing he might be the Richard Marquand of the new trilogy. 

Hmm, who could replace him? Brad Bird is tied up with Incredibles 2... but I hear Phil Lord and Chris Miller are free at the moment. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

If they like what hes done with Ep8,  Johnson could just carry on. His IMDB has no future projects after Ep8, so looks like he's free.

I haven't seen it, but from what everything I've heard The Book Of Henry is one of the most mental films ever made.

I think we knew this was coming. My pick for taking over is Patty Jenkins.  

Edit: just heard that if she closes the deal on Wonder Woman 2, that takes her out if the running. 

Matt Reeves? Busy on The Batman though, I guess. Hmm, tricky this one is... 

We don't seem to have an Episode IX thread (that I can find) and this news seems like a good reason to start one.

There had been rumours ever since "Book Of Henry's" reviews came out - but now its official - and looks like the original director Colin Trevorrow is off the project (which I'm over the moon about). All his films seems very bland and generic except his debut - and he seemed like a bad choice from the beginning.q

i wonder who's in the running now... ? it's quite late in the game - as shooting was scheduled to start soon for a July 2019 red lease date.. 

Anyway here is the Hollywood Reporter's story.

It's the latest helmer shake-up on a Lucasfilm title.

Colin Trevorrow is no longer directing Star Wars: Episode IX, Lucasfilm said Tuesday. 

"Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon," read a Lucasfilm statement. 

Rumors of Trevorrow’s departure have dogged the project since early June, weeks before the opening of The Book of Henry, his thriller that was panned by critics and failed at the box office.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that script issues have continued to be a sore spot throughout Episode IX’s development, with Trevorrow having repeated stabs at multiple drafts. In August, Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, was tapped to work on the script. 

Sources say that the working relationship between Trevorrow and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy became unmanageable. Kennedy, who had already been through one director firing/replacement on the Han Solo spinoff movie, was not eager for a sequel and tried to avoid this decision.

In June, Phil Lord and Chris Miller were fired from the Han Solo stand-alone with only a few weeks left in principal photography. The two were later replaced by Ron Howard, who is finishing out production in London.

Rumors are already circulating as to possible replacements for Trevorrow. Rian Johnson, who is in post for The Last Jedi (Episode VIII), has been mentioned as a possibility, returning to the franchise. J.J. Abrams, who successfully helmed Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has also emerged as a top contender.

Trevorrow's departure now marks the fourth time directors have been replaced on a Star Wars project. Tony Gilroy took over from Gareth Edwards for massive reshoots on 2016's Rogue One. And Josh Trank was taken off of a Star Wars anthology film after reports arose about the helmer's disturbing behavior on the set of Fox's Fantastic Four reboot. Like Trank, Trevorrow's exit occurred before the movie started shooting. 

Trevorrow first made waves with Sundance hit Safety Not Guaranteed. The indie sci-fi dramedy caught the attention of Steven Spielberg and Universal, who put Trevorrow at the helm of the Jurassic Park reboot, Jurassic World. The movie went on to gross a mammoth $1.6 billion at the global box office. After that success, the director was tapped to write and direct Episode IX, the supposed end to the Skywalker saga that would follow Johnson's The Last Jedi (due out Dec. 15). 

Trevorrow has several projects in various stages of development, including a Jurassic Worldfollow-up, which he co-wrote and executive produced. Prior to getting Episode IX, Trevorrow was attached to direct Intelligent Life, a sci-fi thriller set up at Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment that he wrote with writing partner Derek Connolly. (Rebecca Thomas has since taken over as director.)

Back in July, THR spoke to Trevorrow at the Ischia Global Film and Music Fest and asked about the then-recent Lord and Miller exit from the Han Solo film. "Movies are very personal, and art is very personal, and for people to try to turn that into something that is salacious or something that will get clicks is frustrating and sad for me because I know that [movies] mean a lot to everyone involved," he said. "And everybody involved in that movie is passionate about it and worked on it very hard and continues to work on it very hard."

Seems to be a bit of a shitshow over at Lucasfilm, wonder if this has anything to do with the Edgar Wright rumours, he said something would be announced around Christmas. 

Rian Johnson must be getting made offers from Disney that he's going to find difficult to refuse. He originally turned the gig down - but he's the best possible choice.

The fans like him (unless episode 8 is a total fail), Disney like him and he has just come off the back of the film most closely related film.

our visions for the project differ

They need someone more bland and generic than Colin "yes man" Trevorrow ?

• Upvote 1

Lucasfilm trying to out moron WB. The only thing worse than choosing a director that boring is deciding to ditch him because he made an interesting, if unpopular, movie. I dread to think what the current industry would look like if throughout the seventies and eighties directors had lost their next project if their current one underperformed. I imagine we'd have missed out on some of the best films ever made.

7 minutes ago, Fireproofradiator said:

That guy who did Eagle vs Shark might be good. 

Probably not going to happen..

image.png.454d5cc15f5ac2481216bf10cfc10322.png

Ha yeah I just posted his tweet. He's be great though, but WAY too quirky for Star Wars. I'm surprise Marvel let him have Thor to be honest, but I'm glad they did, it looks great going by the trailers.

I'm surprised Colin Trevorrow got the gig to begin with. What were they basing they decision on, Jurassic World? A fun film, but nothing fantastic and basically less good version of the first (then again Ep7 was pretty much a rehash).

Ultimately though, I think it's good thing. 

I’d be happy if they got JJ Abrams back to do it. Regardless of your views on the rehashed plot of TFA, he got the look and feels just right.

• Upvote 3

Isn't JJ doing an animation? That'll take up most of his time surely. If ep8 is going well, which we have to assume it is because Kennedy hasn't sacked anyone, surely Johnson is the way to go? If he's willing to do it, obviously.