Scorn - shameless Giger rip off now available!

Benny

I'm surprised not to find a topic on this game. Just saw a trailer in another thread and it looks very interesting. Clearly H. R. Giger inspired even if they don't mention it in the Kickstarter, but that's what piqued my interest.

The trailer makes it look like it's Giger-inspired to the point of plagiarism. It's a nice aesthetic, but it seems a bit off that they're copying his whole style for commercial gain without crediting him, and presumably without paying anything to his estate.

Would Cuphead perhaps be a better comparison?

I'm not defending the developers incidentally, I think the lack of any mention of Giger even as acknowledgement is poor show.

It does feel slightly different to Giger though, in that it doesn't have the same level of disturbing sexual imagery I think.

I guess you probably could level the same criticism at Cuphead, but it feels like it's a pastiche of Max Fleischer rather than a direct lift. All the characters in Cuphead are original creations in his style. Scorn doesn't look like it's copied from anything specific, but they haven't put really tweaked or varied Giger's style (apart from the bone guns, which look very much like the ones in Existenz).

eXistence was the first thing I thought of when I saw the guns as well. I'm kind of disappointed that they just act like regular guns though. I've seen people also compare the art style to Zdzisław Beksiński, which I can see elements of, so I don't think it's entirely a Giger rip. I'm torn over it as I really love the art and want to see a game in this style released, but I also don't like artistic appropriation without acknowledgment.

• 3 years later...

I agree. There didn't feel like there was any real threat to the enemies there. Like, when the player got acid-vom'd on, it was like they stood there specifically to let it happen - or most of the way through the video where the wierd head-butt monster ambles towards him so he stops and choses that moment to reload before two-shotting the enemy. It didn't even get to finish it's recovery animations from the first attack.

I like the Giger-esque visuals, but they need to ratchet the pressure and threat up a notch. Casually strolling away from an enemy while it casually strolls towards you looks unbelievably dull.

Yeah, its one trick, at least from the videos I've seen, seems to be its Giger/Beksinski cribbed visuals for its world and not much else. As noted, it looks fucking boring.

Perhaps wandering around the Derelict on LV-426 x mucus will bring hitherto joy to game playing but I'm doubtfull.

• 1 year later...
  • Benny changed the title to Scorn - shameless Giger rip off soon available!
  • 3 weeks later...

This still looks pretty great to me. I hope they optimise it well for Xbox. Watching that preview, it reminds me more of something like SOMA than an Alien version of Doom, which I originally thought it would be. I'm looking forward to it.

I played this on Tuesday night for preview and it was good, squishy fun. Far more puzzle based than action but the setting and the soundstage are the real stars. However, the performance isn't great at present and it was dropping frames all over the place on my setup, which is decent but not cutting edge. That being said, Afterburner was reporting there was a lot of resources left over. 

There's still time to optimise things but they're going to have to really work on it.

I just dunno about ripping Giger wholesale like that. I get what he's saying in the Skillup review in that they're getting under the skin of the conceptual aspect (sex and fucking) of Giger's work as well as the aesthetic style, but I feel really uneasy about a creative work that's completely derivative of an artist's established style. Maybe the game opens up and the art style diversifies and develops later on and there's a big oh shit reveal. If not, hmmm. A bit shameless.

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I just dunno about ripping Giger wholesale like that. I get what he's saying in the Skillup review in that they're getting under the skin of the conceptual aspect (sex and fucking) of Giger's work as well as the aesthetic style, but I feel really uneasy about a creative work that's completely derivative of an artist's established style. Maybe the game opens up and the art style diversifies and develops later on and there's a big oh shit reveal. If not, hmmm. A bit shameless.

Well we had Sable ripping off Moebius already. Just need someone to do Ralph Mcquarrie to complete the trifecta. 

On 22/10/2020 at 18:27, amc said:

Yeah, its one trick, at least from the videos I've seen, seems to be its Giger/Beksinski cribbed visuals for its world and not much else. As noted, it looks fucking boring.

Perhaps wandering around the Derelict on LV-426 x mucus will bring hitherto joy to game playing but I'm doubtfull.

This is exactly what I've been left with watching a few gameplay videos. Everything looks so, well, boring just as you said. In still images the game looks gorgeous and really interesting but watching it in motion it looks more like a concept presentation than an actual game. 

I remember seeing one of the trailers and wondering if this was some sort of 3D follow up to Giger adventure game Dark Seed.

Which kind of put me off because that game was not as good as I wanted it to be (although as a showcase for Giger's work at the time it was fantastic.)

997465-dark-seed-amiga-screenshot-in-the

• 3 weeks later...

Out Friday... been looking forward to this since seeing the trailer for it on the Xbox showreel a while back. Looks creepy enough like interactive Giger art... :D 

Pre-loading begins... :D

On 22/09/2022 at 19:50, Jamie John said:

This still looks pretty great to me. I hope they optimise it well for Xbox. Watching that preview, it reminds me more of something like SOMA than an Alien version of Doom, which I originally thought it would be. I'm looking forward to it.

From what I can make out it leans more toward exploration than a FPS shooter type game - which suits me fine!

I have purposely been ignoring all previews etc on this because I want to play through myself and experience it without knowing anything. Its not like it will cost me anything anyway as its coming to GamePass so not effectively spending £50-70 on a game here. If its not great / don't get on with it fine! :) That I guess is the beauty of GamePass you can form your own opinions on things without having to take the risk buying something on reviews etc. 

Loved The Medium too (despite it not reviewing particularly well IIRC).

Definitely more environmental puzzles (played the hour preview a few weeks back) but think some more action bits may come in later. Have been excited but a bit concerned about them pushing the release forwards as the preview needed some major optimisation work. They don't seem to be sending review codes out either so I'm going to have to rinse it over the weekend to get mine filed. The latter can be a red flag but they may just be concentrating on bigger outlets or relying on Game Pass/word of mouth. Few too many 'mays' this close to release.

As a fan of Frictional games like Amnesia and Soma, this looks right up my street. The video posted by Vemsie was surprisingly down on it though, despite the guy saying he’s into it. Rude not to try it on Gamepass, it looks like ideal Halloween fare. 

• Benny changed the title to Scorn - shameless Giger rip off now available!