Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

105 hours in. Still only playing co-op. Certainly launched itself into my top 5 games of all time.

Some of the puzzles and side quests are ridiculous though and I am fine for my co-op partner to use Google to figure it out. I just love exploring the world and talking to NPCs.

Had a very weird/lol moment at the end of act 2/3 where my red prince lizard has sex with my dwarf. It even gave me options for how he wanted to.. take it. Strange game!

For anyone that's in Arx, in the Arx outskirts near the broken lady vengeance, I can see an area on the map, out of reach, with 5 red dots. Any idea how to get there? I'm stumped.

On 30/01/2020 at 19:23, davejm said:

I'm determined to make headway with this, but I've never managed to get past the opening section.  Every time I play I feel as though the game could really click for me, but get distracted with other games.  So I'm going to give it another go.

I've decided to choose an original character as my main, and to go for Fane; Ifan and Lohse as my companions.  If I go for a ranged damage dealer or a healer for my main, am I going to run into issues considering those companions seem to be ranged classes also?  I'm going to be playing on story mode, if that makes a difference to party composition?

Any particularly fun classes or builds to consider?  for either my main or build variations for the companions?

Go with what you have and see how you get on. You can always respect at the end of Act 1.

Just stick with it!

35 minutes ago, skittles said:

Go with what you have and see how you get on. You can always respect at the end of Act 1.

Just stick with it!

Thanks, I've been making progress.  I decided to load a previous save from the beginning of Fort Joy, so I'm pottering around doing the starting quests there.

My main is a Hunter, so I've refocused Ifan for melee with a one handed sword and shield plus some spell books to get him started as a close combatant.  I hadn't levelled him up yet so I was able to put the points into the correct attributes.

I'm using Lohse is a Hydro Mage, and Fane as an Aero Mage.  I think they'll compliment each other well.

Excellent stuff.

I think I am around 3 hours away from finishing the game and what a ride it has been. I have spent hours agonizing over whether I should or shouldn't use this equipment because it increases this, but decreases this, but if I do this, I can't do that... etc etc. I love it.

I started this recently having heard great things. I’ve lost my collar, left the first fort joy part and am wondering round the marshes with a party of 4. 

It’s a very atmospheric game and I get that it’s not supposed to hold your hand but I  finding the lack of a hold your hand quest log and the very lo-fi map to be making it a little tricky. I wander but have gotten into a few fights that are quite tough. Playing on Switch which doesn’t help as the rest is quite low and you can’t see HUGE distances in front of you. 

Any tips on how to get further in or so I just explore and save a lot in case I get caught out. (Party are level 5 at the moment)

Save a lot @Yiggy - if you are under leveled for a fight, go and explore in a different direction.

Are you on Act 2? If you want very vague tips on which order/direction to go on act 2..

Spoiler

Go to the island/area right from the main town, then after a few missions there/exploring graveyard, head left of the town.

There will be some fights on act 2 that you will have to go back to in each area once you are sufficiently leveled. 

• 4 weeks later...

I bought Divinity Original Sin 1 on PS4 last year, finally sat down to play it a few weeks ago and... hated it. I really couldn't get into it, found it really clunky and was genuinely quite disappointed.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is on sale in the PS+ sale at the moment and I'm some sort of glutton punishment and decided to give it a go for some reason.

Wow, I'm obsessed. Such a massive improvement over what I played of the original. The introduction/tutorial area of Fort Joy is great. I've literally played this all day and had to tear myself away to get ready for bed. It's been a long long time since a game gripped me like this.

I'm also quite glad that I picked this up on PS4 instead of Switch as it's quite beautiful at times. Hopefully I'll actually be able to find the time to continue playing. Today was one of those rare days where my better half was happy for me to be a couch potato as she had work to do.

Finally got round to starting this about a month ago, as i knew it would be a long one.

40 hours late i have finally managed to get on to the mainland! Was so bloody underpowered as I haven't really been optimising my characters. Wasn't having much fun for the first 20 hours or so. Saved at the respec point and then looked up party makeup and builds, managed to buy more useful skills focussed mostly on removing physical armour, and am doing a lot better and enjoying it much more. In the beginning I was trying to take out the guys with no magic protection with my mages, and focusing on the guys with no physical with my melee guys.

I am even reading the ingame books, first divinity game where I've bothered, but I think this is by far the best one they've made so far. Just took some grappling with.

• 2 months later...
On 14/05/2020 at 16:23, Thor said:

Got this in the steam sale. How long does is take to "get going" I'm not really feeling it early doors. 

a while.

Just remember you can do stuff you wouldn’t normally be able to do in a console RPG. Get the teleport spell to help yourself get to places. It’s all about using layers of attacks. Oil drums you set on fire, water you electrify etc etc

From what I know of you though your not going to like it because it’s pretty damn hard.

It definitely is, I'm about ten hours in and a lot of it has been as much a quickload simulator as an RPG. The early going has felt a bit like Morrowind or Phantasy Star or something where you're too weak to fight against anything but rats, except there's no equivalent to go and grind here. It seemed as though there was very much a set order I had to go about things in so there's been a fair bit of wandering in circles trying to find the one quest I wasn't too puny to advance.

I didn't last much more than an an hour with the first game because I found the moment to moment writing quite grating, that's improved massively here although the voice acting supporting it is mostly just kind of OK. Struggling a bit with the UI, not sure how much is the way it's designed and how much is me being dozy but I'm constantly doing things I didn't intend to. A few bugs and crashes too.

Those don't sound like massively positive impressions but I'm finding it really compelling despite all that. I could see myself loving it if it starts flowing a bit more later on.

UI and voice acting moans above still stand but yeah, this is really superb once you get a bit of momentum and can actually start fighting things.

I don't totally understand why things play out the way they do in combat sometimes but that part's probably on me for not zooming in and checking the environment, statuses etc. well enough.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Late to this but bought it earlier in the week, and been playing it non-stop since. It makes a great local co-op game on console. My "non-gaming" partner has really got into it, and the combat being turned based helps. We've been playing on story mode due to that, so I'm probably missing out on the combat challenge, but we are having a lot of fun anyway.

I just bought a Samsung Q85R 55” 4k HDR tv it got motion settings in game mode to smooth things out, also has free sync. Am I right in saying the PlayStation 4 pro doesn’t have free sync?

When playing this game in “4k” HDR there’s massive tearing when moving the camera around swiftly. Anyone else had that? (this is the only game that does it)

• 4 months later...

Right then. I've gone back to this for the third time now to try it again. The first two attempts were on PS4, but now I'm trying it on PC and, from the off, it's definitely a lot better playing it on the system it was designed for.

However, for someone who's never really played a CRPG (beyond Disco Elysium, at least, which is sort of like a post-modern CRPG, or something), the entire thing really is very overwhelming, and even though the screen pops up with tool-tips and tutorial messages all the time, it's still confusing for newbies to the genre, especially in terms of the wealth of skills you have available to you, right off the bat, not to mention attributes you can level, character types to choose from, abilities you can learn and the masses of items you can pick up that quickly clog up your inventory, all of which is compounded each time someone new joins your party.

Despite this, however, according to Steam I've been playing it for nearly 7 hours already, and I'm certainly finding it compelling. I've anything, it feels like I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time, just wandering about and not really knowing what I'm doing or where to go, yet enjoying it all the same.

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2020 at 10:25, Rsdio said:

It definitely is, I'm about ten hours in and a lot of it has been as much a quickload simulator as an RPG. The early going has felt a bit like Morrowind or Phantasy Star or something where you're too weak to fight against anything but rats, except there's no equivalent to go and grind here. It seemed as though there was very much a set order I had to go about things in so there's been a fair bit of wandering in circles trying to find the one quest I wasn't too puny to advance.

I didn't last much more than an an hour with the first game because I found the moment to moment writing quite grating, that's improved massively here although the voice acting supporting it is mostly just kind of OK. Struggling a bit with the UI, not sure how much is the way it's designed and how much is me being dozy but I'm constantly doing things I didn't intend to. A few bugs and crashes too.

Those don't sound like massively positive impressions but I'm finding it really compelling despite all that. I could see myself loving it if it starts flowing a bit more later on.

It’s as much like Xcom as it is a typical grindy RPG. You can’t really grind as there are a set number of fights. If a fight seems impossibly hard and you can’t find a single other enemy to kill for XP, you’re probably approaching that fight wrong or getting unlucky. Sometimes a bit of foresight helps (knowing some extra enemies are going to appear etc) so playing fights a few times before getting it done is normal. It’s a tactical combat system with the onus on tactical. You can almost never over-level yourself to make a fight easier, though you can be under levelled or under equipped (or wrongly equipped) for some fights. 

On 22/05/2020 at 16:43, Rsdio said:

UI and voice acting moans above still stand but yeah, this is really superb once you get a bit of momentum and can actually start fighting things.

I don't totally understand why things play out the way they do in combat sometimes but that part's probably on me for not zooming in and checking the environment, statuses etc. well enough.

That still happens to me sometimes. Especially if you throw all the elements into the mix, the slightly confusing armour system, and the fact one of your guys is healed by poison and damaged by healing spells. It’s often a game where you bumble through fights by the skin of your teeth.

I got really into this and got past the 

Spoiler

big fight on the ship so I am now on the new island.

Gimme a few tips to get my ass back into it. I feel like I'm starting again. I liked exploring the fringes of the other place and looking for cool stuff. Now it feels like I'm back at the start. Tell me it picks up again?

1 minute ago, Lovelyman said:

Hide contents

Gimme a few tips to get my ass back into it. I feel like I'm starting again. I liked exploring the fringes of the other place and looking for cool stuff. Now it feels like I'm back at the start. Tell me it picks up again?

I’m about where you are. I would have an explore, perhaps try to stay out of trouble but open up the map. I seem to remember trolls and bridges.

I haven’t played it in ages but I do think very highly of the game.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Hide contents

Get to Driftwood, you’ll pick up loads more quests there. 

Funnily enough I was planning to ressurect this thread today but you've done it for me. I asked for Divinity 2 on Switch for Christmas  (having never played either game) and have spent a ridiculous amount of time in act 1 already doing almost everything, and now I'm right at the end of the act. I've been loving it but I stupidly started on tactician difficulty which has been absolutely brutal. By the time I realised my mistake I'd already sunk too many hours in. The problem with that mode is you kind of have to visit most fights at least once and do them in particular order according to your current level/gear/skills to stand a chance. So it's been a long haul but thankfully the combat is excellent so I've just been plugging away.

On the plus side the insane difficulty has made me focus on learning the combat and gearing up my team optimally. I decided not to respec at the arena mirror and plough on mistakes and all. Lately the balance has been getting better, I'm level 8 now with tons of skills and spells, good gear. The enemies are still rock hard but if I use the right abilities, combos and positioning I stand a chance. It's really satisfying. 

I recently got the pirate gear set which I didnt realise was dlc. It seems well overpowered, so after the last boss fight I took it off. Would you agree its OP? I think I'll probably do the questlines for the other ones but just not use the armour sets if you think that's a good idea to keep things challenging.

Love the amount of choice in how to tackle quests and combat, its pretty and the open nature of exploring and questing is great. It's pretty much Baldurs gate but with better level design, quests and combat. I love the way you have a lot of decisions to make with character builds, from attributes,  to gear giving you new abilities, to spell slots.  I can't believe its fully multiplayer compatable as well, although honestly I'm perfectly happy in single player. By the way, on the Switch this is a pretty good port, good controls once you get used to it, inventory management is slow and its hard to click on moving characters but that's about it. Looks low res but otherwise good, all in all its a miracle its translated to consoles as well as it has. 

I decided to play as Beast, the dwarf, who I made a sort of Necroladin, I.e. runs around with a 2 handed weapon with combat modes and raises the dead and does drainy type spells. I've got the red Prince as an archer/geomancer and just started dabbling in summoning with him but I don't think it will be worth investing in or it will dilute his strengths too much. Fane is my uber mage with mainly pyro and water spells, and Sebine is my hard-core rogue entirely focused on stabby stabby. Everyone's got some kind of basic heal apart from Beast and i just got some handy teleport and flying abilities to help get some of the peeps around more efficiently. Hyped for act 2!

Ps turn on the gift bag for faster running, its really handy for backtracking and you can turn it off whenever you like.

I've recently started playing this again on switch after getting stuck sometime last year. I restarted and I'm now on the 2nd area just after the boat battle. I've no idea if I'm playing it 'properly' though. I killed Fane after he witnessed me killing Gawin and attacked me. It's a great game but sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming. The inventory management seems particularly annoying.

15 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I recently got the pirate gear set which I didnt realise was dlc. It seems well overpowered, so after the last boss fight I took it off. Would you agree its OP? I think I'll probably do the questlines for the other ones but just not use the armour sets if you think that's a good idea to keep things challenging.

I decided to play as Beast, the dwarf, who I made a sort of Necroladin, I.e. runs around with a 2 handed weapon with combat modes and raises the dead and does drainy type spells. I've got the red Prince as an archer/geomancer and just started dabbling in summoning with him but I don't think it will be worth investing in or it will dilute his strengths too much.

As with any RPG, armour/weapons can sometimes feel overpowered when you first get them but it won't last, so enjoy it while it does! The Charm can seem a little overpowered, but it does require you to remove all magic armour and stay in the relatively short range of what you are trying to charm. Assume that everything you find/receive was intended for your level.

While there was an element of maximising particular skills in 1, 2 is slightly different and the modifiers may be more beneficial than the skills (or vice versa). The obvious one here is for Rogues where warfare increases your damage but the Warfare skills aren't really a priority. Getting a point in Huntsman is useful for almost any character for the teleport/jump that gives you haste for 1 turn. You're right that you don't want to spread your skill points too thinly, but variety is really the spice of life in this game and you can come up with all sorts of great combinations, especially across 4 characters.

1 hour ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I've recently started playing this again on switch after getting stuck sometime last year. I restarted and I'm now on the 2nd area just after the boat battle. I've no idea if I'm playing it 'properly' though. I killed Fane after he witnessed me killing Gawin and attacked me. It's a great game but sometimes it feels a bit overwhelming. The inventory management seems particularly annoying.

The inventory management is painful, unfortunately.

My main advice for anyone unsure about what to do is simply follow the story (and by virtue the quests). It can be tempting to just go wandering, and it's a perfectly valid approach, but you tend to do things in a different order than was maybe intended, or at least in an order that doesn't always make logical sense. Sometimes it can be best to think 'what would this character do', rather than what you would do if playing it as a game, if that makes sense. I'd also recommend reading up on skillbook crafting (specifically combining) and surfaces, if not the exact details, then at least the way they work.

It's useful to have one party member with high persuasion, although you'll need to make sure they initiate the conversations that require persuasion checks (much easier in single player). It's also useful to have someone high(er) in Wits to spot things. The Piece of Mind skill (Warfare, I think) temporarily increase Wits as well so useful if you think there should be something hidden in the vicinity.

It might not seem it early on but your characters 'tags' (i.e. Scholar, Hero etc.) do influence some conversations and events in the game, so if one conversation doesn't lead to anything, always try another character with different tags to see if it changes the outcome.

Don't view respeccing as negative, it can seem a bit like cheating but it removes any lingering frustration from assigning points to incorrect skills, especially as you learn more about the game. 

We're playing it for a second time and it's just astoundingly good.

Here's a weird one - how do you sheathe your weapon on switch? I presume there is some sort of key combo but no indication what it is. 

Sorted now. Unsheathing then sheathing fixed it for unknown reasons.

Edited by Stoppy2000

Thanks for the info Phresh, very handy. I've been dumping points for my rogue into Finesse rather than warfare so I'll just keep doing that. I'd kind of been neglecting constitution until recently on most of my team and bumping that up across the board has really helped my survivability.

Yes inventory management is a pain on console at least, my advice is to make use of the X button on items when looting and send them direct to the characters that need them. I've also started switching to my high barter character (Red Prince) for looting so that stuff he picks up is ready to sell. Also use the add to wares command for junk and stuff you know you'll sell as soon as you pick it up. Then in the trading screen when buying stuff, go to the barter tab and use the add wares button to dump it all in there ready to trade, but make sure the trading character has all the wares on them first.

For sheathing and unsheathing you can use right on dpad or the action submenu on a hotbar slot.

Ps I assume bow type weapons are finesse based? It doesn't actually say but I've been pumping finesse into my archer so I hope so!

Yeah I meant scoundrel, and I've got points in dual wielding too (not planning to use other weapons for her so it should be good). I guess warfare is mainly for if you want to switch roles a lot (and of course if you want to use warfare skills).

I thought the same but apparently not, the way it calculates is slightly different so it is more beneficial. Rather then get into the boring detail though, I just want to drive home the point that for some skill trees you should distinguish between the skill modifier and the skills themselves, and don't treat the skill trees as you would in almost any other RPG. It's also worth noting that you only need 3 points in a skill to be able to use almost all of the spells/skills it has to offer. You could be less than halfway into the game and have access to almost every single skill/spell without too much issue.

It took ages to click for me (not least because 1 is a bit more conventional), but when you realise the freedom it gives you from just thinking about the skills/modfiers in a different way it really opens the game up. For example, the Rogue i'm playing at the moment has a couple of points in Huntsman as between Scoundrel, Warfare and that you have access to around 4+ 'teleport' moves that making getting around the battlefield so much easier than normal. Plus you can get the Huntsman first aid which can be useful earlier in the game.