rllmuk
Moz

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

105 hours in. Still only playing co-op. Certainly launched itself into my top 5 games of all time.

Some of the puzzles and side quests are ridiculous though and I am fine for my co-op partner to use Google to figure it out. I just love exploring the world and talking to NPCs.

Had a very weird/lol moment at the end of act 2/3 where my red prince lizard has sex with my dwarf. It even gave me options for how he wanted to.. take it. Strange game!

For anyone that's in Arx, in the Arx outskirts near the broken lady vengeance, I can see an area on the map, out of reach, with 5 red dots. Any idea how to get there? I'm stumped.

On 30/01/2020 at 19:23, davejm said:

I'm determined to make headway with this, but I've never managed to get past the opening section.  Every time I play I feel as though the game could really click for me, but get distracted with other games.  So I'm going to give it another go.

I've decided to choose an original character as my main, and to go for Fane; Ifan and Lohse as my companions.  If I go for a ranged damage dealer or a healer for my main, am I going to run into issues considering those companions seem to be ranged classes also?  I'm going to be playing on story mode, if that makes a difference to party composition?

Any particularly fun classes or builds to consider?  for either my main or build variations for the companions?

Go with what you have and see how you get on. You can always respect at the end of Act 1.

Just stick with it!

35 minutes ago, skittles said:

Go with what you have and see how you get on. You can always respect at the end of Act 1.

Just stick with it!

Thanks, I've been making progress.  I decided to load a previous save from the beginning of Fort Joy, so I'm pottering around doing the starting quests there.

My main is a Hunter, so I've refocused Ifan for melee with a one handed sword and shield plus some spell books to get him started as a close combatant.  I hadn't levelled him up yet so I was able to put the points into the correct attributes.

I'm using Lohse is a Hydro Mage, and Fane as an Aero Mage.  I think they'll compliment each other well.

Excellent stuff.

I think I am around 3 hours away from finishing the game and what a ride it has been. I have spent hours agonizing over whether I should or shouldn't use this equipment because it increases this, but decreases this, but if I do this, I can't do that... etc etc. I love it.

• Upvote 1

I started this recently having heard great things. I’ve lost my collar, left the first fort joy part and am wondering round the marshes with a party of 4. 

It’s a very atmospheric game and I get that it’s not supposed to hold your hand but I  finding the lack of a hold your hand quest log and the very lo-fi map to be making it a little tricky. I wander but have gotten into a few fights that are quite tough. Playing on Switch which doesn’t help as the rest is quite low and you can’t see HUGE distances in front of you. 

Any tips on how to get further in or so I just explore and save a lot in case I get caught out. (Party are level 5 at the moment)

Save a lot @Yiggy - if you are under leveled for a fight, go and explore in a different direction.

Are you on Act 2? If you want very vague tips on which order/direction to go on act 2..

Spoiler

Go to the island/area right from the main town, then after a few missions there/exploring graveyard, head left of the town.

There will be some fights on act 2 that you will have to go back to in each area once you are sufficiently leveled. 

I bought Divinity Original Sin 1 on PS4 last year, finally sat down to play it a few weeks ago and... hated it. I really couldn't get into it, found it really clunky and was genuinely quite disappointed.

Divinity Original Sin 2 is on sale in the PS+ sale at the moment and I'm some sort of glutton punishment and decided to give it a go for some reason.

Wow, I'm obsessed. Such a massive improvement over what I played of the original. The introduction/tutorial area of Fort Joy is great. I've literally played this all day and had to tear myself away to get ready for bed. It's been a long long time since a game gripped me like this.

I'm also quite glad that I picked this up on PS4 instead of Switch as it's quite beautiful at times. Hopefully I'll actually be able to find the time to continue playing. Today was one of those rare days where my better half was happy for me to be a couch potato as she had work to do.

• Upvote 1

Finally got round to starting this about a month ago, as i knew it would be a long one.

40 hours late i have finally managed to get on to the mainland! Was so bloody underpowered as I haven't really been optimising my characters. Wasn't having much fun for the first 20 hours or so. Saved at the respec point and then looked up party makeup and builds, managed to buy more useful skills focussed mostly on removing physical armour, and am doing a lot better and enjoying it much more. In the beginning I was trying to take out the guys with no magic protection with my mages, and focusing on the guys with no physical with my melee guys.

I am even reading the ingame books, first divinity game where I've bothered, but I think this is by far the best one they've made so far. Just took some grappling with.

Got this in the steam sale. How long does is take to "get going" I'm not really feeling it early doors. 

On 14/05/2020 at 16:23, Thor said:

Got this in the steam sale. How long does is take to "get going" I'm not really feeling it early doors. 

a while.

Just remember you can do stuff you wouldn’t normally be able to do in a console RPG. Get the teleport spell to help yourself get to places. It’s all about using layers of attacks. Oil drums you set on fire, water you electrify etc etc

From what I know of you though your not going to like it because it’s pretty damn hard.

It definitely is, I'm about ten hours in and a lot of it has been as much a quickload simulator as an RPG. The early going has felt a bit like Morrowind or Phantasy Star or something where you're too weak to fight against anything but rats, except there's no equivalent to go and grind here. It seemed as though there was very much a set order I had to go about things in so there's been a fair bit of wandering in circles trying to find the one quest I wasn't too puny to advance.

I didn't last much more than an an hour with the first game because I found the moment to moment writing quite grating, that's improved massively here although the voice acting supporting it is mostly just kind of OK. Struggling a bit with the UI, not sure how much is the way it's designed and how much is me being dozy but I'm constantly doing things I didn't intend to. A few bugs and crashes too.

Those don't sound like massively positive impressions but I'm finding it really compelling despite all that. I could see myself loving it if it starts flowing a bit more later on.

• Upvote 2

UI and voice acting moans above still stand but yeah, this is really superb once you get a bit of momentum and can actually start fighting things.

I don't totally understand why things play out the way they do in combat sometimes but that part's probably on me for not zooming in and checking the environment, statuses etc. well enough.

New Gift Bag DLC just dropped and it looks quite substantial. You will need to start a new save though.

Late to this but bought it earlier in the week, and been playing it non-stop since. It makes a great local co-op game on console. My "non-gaming" partner has really got into it, and the combat being turned based helps. We've been playing on story mode due to that, so I'm probably missing out on the combat challenge, but we are having a lot of fun anyway.

I just bought a Samsung Q85R 55” 4k HDR tv it got motion settings in game mode to smooth things out, also has free sync. Am I right in saying the PlayStation 4 pro doesn’t have free sync?

When playing this game in “4k” HDR there’s massive tearing when moving the camera around swiftly. Anyone else had that? (this is the only game that does it)