Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

Moz

Just booted this up ready to get stuck in (wanted to big screen it, but lost the stupid plug for my steamlink), and I'm already crippled by the same indecision that always ruins these games for me: what class to play. I always end up restarting about ten times and get fed up (see: Baldur's Gate 1&2 remasters, Icewind Dale remaster, Tyranny, Divinity Original Sin 1, any Dragon Age after the first one, Elder Scrolls games, Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and probably dozens more). 

Usually I end up just going fighter, which is the most boring, vanilla build there is. 

I started with Fane as well, and although I was worried I'd have 'buyers remorse' immediately after, he's quite funny, so it's worth the initial niggles.  It has focussed my early hours into finding poison though.  There's potions everywhere, but very little poison to speak of, so I am scouring for mushrooms and trying to find that...that thing that helps...

Spoiler

Zaikk's Talon on the Magister Houndmaster in the Fort Joy Dungeons.  Which can apparently turn potions into poison, yay.

It's bloody good though. It's just got a nice feel to it.  The writing is punchy, humorous, interesting...no walls of text that bore you.  The characters are great, really varied side quests, it looks lovely.  Battles seem to me like a weird hybrid of FFXIV and XCOM, with a traditional RPG flavour.  Really enjoying it.

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

How does the combat stack up against the first game? I know they changed a few things, but does it make it better? I know you have less AP to start now, but does that not just limit what you can do at the start of the battle?

So far it feels a lot better, the height element adds a bit more strategy and the gui improves the overall experience. Increased range of surfaces and a greater variety of skills too.

Put a couple of hours into their last night, one of which was agonising over who to play. Went with Fane as a wizard in the end. 

Loving the little bit I've seen so far, really just up to the first town. Work is dragging today though because I just want to go home and play more.

I like how merciless the game is. It doesn't take much to get killed!

I've put about 15-20 hrs into this so far and only just left the first main hub area. At first I had a lot of problems with the combat because I was struggling to get my head around the importance of good strategy and using environmental aids etc. I was getting wiped far too easily in the first few fights. It also didn't help that my party was a bit unbalanced in the melee department and I had no ranged damage. But I resolved this by having my rogue double up as a ranged attacker and after a while it all clicked and I'm absolutely loving the game now. It has way more than depth than most AAA games I can think of and the possibilities for emergent gameplay are plentiful.

It feels like such an incredibly well designed and well written game. It's also very funny in places. Can't wait to see how things develop from hereon out.

Also, I still need to get those damn collars off!

Brilliance. My one word review of the game. :wub:

Have two play throughs going at the same time. One where I play Lohse the cleric, decent kind really . And the other where I play dickhead Tutsie, the undead elf rogue. She steals everything in sight, picks the pockets of NPCs and plants the evidence on her undead buddy, Fane, who the NPCs then insist on searching whilst Tutsie walks away casually wearing new shoes or pants. :lol: Plan is to live with the consequences of everything that happens - good or bad - in the dickhead game and stand by our dickhead convictions. 

Totally different experiences.

I'm really enjoying it. If anybody fancies playing co-op gimme a shout :D

I'm determined to do the same as you @Rikku and live with decisions, whereas normally I'd reload a save if something didn't go my way. 

The game did lose one of my saves, which was annoying. I mean, I was literally about five minutes in and hadn't even got to the first town, but it was still annoying and made me paranoid about all my saves going forward, especially as I actually went into the save menu to do it! 

Yup. This game is fantastic.

I got sucked into the hype of the first game but ended up bouncing off it for a couple of reasons. Something about the combat didn't click and playing it in co-op at launch with someone who had a totally different playstyle to me made it pretty frustrating; I had no idea what was going on as they'd charge ahead and rinse all the dialogue before I had a chance to listen in.

But this sequel really is something special. I'm hooked. Likeable characters, well written, a wonderfully engaging combat system thanks to the tweaks that have been made and a beautifully rich and detailed world to explore. It's a stark reminder of just how shallow and restrictive a lot of other games have become. This game reacts in believable ways to party actions rather than just saying "nah, you can't do that", such as me having to bribe town guards to avoid jail because my co-op kleptomaniac undead buddy stashed their ill-gotten gains on me :lol:.

8 hours ago, Sie said:

Yup. This game is fantastic.

I got sucked into the hype of the first game but ended up bouncing off it for a couple of reasons. Something about the combat didn't click and playing it in co-op at launch with someone who had a totally different playstyle to me made it pretty frustrating; I had no idea what was going on as they'd charge ahead and rinse all the dialogue before I had a chance to listen in.

But this sequel really is something special. I'm hooked. Likeable characters, well written, a wonderfully engaging combat system thanks to the tweaks that have been made and a beautifully rich and detailed world to explore. It's a stark reminder of just how shallow and restrictive a lot of other games have become. This game reacts in believable ways to party actions rather than just saying "nah, you can't do that", such as me having to bribe town guards to avoid jail because my co-op kleptomaniac undead buddy stashed their ill-gotten gains on me :lol:.

:blush: It’s not all bad! I got you a skill book that you were after that we couldn’t afford to buy! :lol:

I think about this game more than I should be, really need to finish fitting our new kitchen but will probably stick another 10 hours on it over the weekend.

Another thing that is brilliant for an RPG is the use of the Journal rather than a conventional quest log. Even great games like the Witcher suffer from 'go here, kill/collect x' fatigue after a while but you never really feel like you're on individual quests in this game. That isn't for everyone by any means, but even if you get stuck simply wondering around finding enemies of a similar level will usually indicate you're in the right area.

1 hour ago, Rikku said:

:blush: It’s not all bad! I got you a skill book that you were after that we couldn’t afford to buy! :lol:

Yes, you're right. I'd been wistfully eyeing that skill book and it's everything I ever wanted.

Please steal me some more.

Playing through this in co-op every Friday with a friend back in the UK. Still loving it. 

I love the new ability to 

Spoiler

combine skill books into completely new skills,

there's some really interesting combinations available.

Medusa Head is totally OP though, can make some fights quite trivial.

Very early game spoilers below, but I'm not enjoying this at all, because I am finding combat insanely difficult and unforgiving, even on "classic" mode. 

Spoiler

I've arrived at fort joy. I'm playing Fane as an inquisitor. I have a charge, a mosquito swarm that does nothing and a move called "all in".  I've recruited the red king, ifan and sebile. Some bloke called narin keeps finding me and wiping out my party no matter what I try. 

On another turn, I found Griff's missing citrus, opening it to find drugs. I returned to Griff, only for him to say I'd stolen the drugs from inside (I didn't know opening it would do that) and now his entire gang attacks me, there's about six of them and they batter me stupid. Reload and now I can't get to the dreamer guy, because narin is stood right there and immediately engages me in combat as soon as I walk close. 

Reload, go a different way. I find a guy on the beach eating people. I manage to kill him, but not before I lose ifan and sebile. I only have one resurrection spell and no way of healing whoever I res. 

It's just sucking all the joy out of the game and reminds me why I didn't like the first game so much. If I play a melee character, I'm basically constantly on fire, or slowed, or poisoned, because melee is such a scrum and ranged drop loads of shite on my head, or set fire to crap. 

On 9/27/2017 at 09:30, Moz said:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/divinity-original-sin-2-review/1900-6416769/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0b

10/10

"One of the finest role-playing epics of all time"

Oh FFS why did this game have to come out now... just know I'll end up owning it by the end of the weekend even though I have less than zero time to play it over the next month or so. 

It all sounds stupidly good! 

In other news, after 19 hours (!) of exploring, taking in the sights, finding all sorts of secrets and hidden paths, trying out what seems like a bazillion different routes and ways to tackle wildly differing scenarios, I finally escaped the first area! :D And then I reloaded and escaped it again taking a different path :lol: And I still want to go back at some point to get the stuff I skipped!

Amazing game, just... incredible. If it stays this good it might be the best ROG since god knows when. A really fucking long time, that's for damn sure.