Divinity: Original Sin 2 - "One of the greatest PC RPGs of all time" now coming to consoles

Moz

This game is the best game. I'm having so much fun doing whatever comes to mind. And whatever comes to mind is often not only possible, it leads to unexpected results, quests, or bonus items! Right now I'm back in Fort Joy clearing the fort of Magisters. 

I'm also collecting faces as a nice little side quest. How does one 'collect' faces, you ask? It's simple, by taking the face off. The face. Off. I already have a human face, currently looking for a dwarf and an elf with a face! To take it off.

The best game :wub:

Also, most useful battle skill so far: teleportation. Not because of the damage it does, but because of being able to rearrange the battlefield as you see fit. I've equipped two mages with it. My Lizard tank brawler doesn't move an inch, all the enemies are dropped right in front of him ready to be smashed. Oftentimes there happens to be a pool of fire there.

You know when a game is truly extraordinary when you can't decide which of the equally sounding amazing paths you should take in order to proceed. The sneaking one? The fighting one? The unlocking one? The Teleportation one? The Underground one? The accidentally discovered one? :o

Oh, yes. Still in the prologue area. 

This game is fucking great. Been playing it with a friend and there have been so many great moments. One was giving a ring to a woman who wanted proof I'd seen someone, but I really wanted the ring back, so my friend pickpocketed her as I had her distracted, but then I wanted to follow her, so she accused me of thievery and I let her search my bags. She found nothing but accused me of being dodgy anyway and got me thrown in a dungeon (I didn't want to fight her before finding out where she went). This then resulted in a massive fight while trying to break out of prison, where I met some weird people... All because of a fucking ring.

5 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

We're getting this! Fuck, I'm so excited after watching some videos. 

Is it okay for dipping into for a couple of hours at a time? Or is it gonna be hard to put it down? 

If my co-op sessions are anything to go by, you intend to play for a couple of hours then you look at the clock and six hours have passed.

10 hours ago, ilpostino said:

If my co-op sessions are anything to go by, you intend to play for a couple of hours then you look at the clock and six hours have passed.

Yeah I wish I could just spend a couple of hours playing this game. I must spend an hour on average each gaming session, just sorting my inventory.

I'm on Act II now and just wanted to say thanks to folks for the combat tips I got earlier in this thread. It's really helped me going forward. The game seems to be getting even better the further in I go. I hadn't done much thievery early in the game but I've now been dipping people's pockets big time. It's so much fun and I you can get some juicy items. Just picked up a legendary that I'm sure the owner didn't really need anyway.

Spoilers for Fort Joy Arena:

Spoiler

Been playing through this happily with a friend in co-op, with one other character for each of us. Went into the area together to try it out, and made short work of the bad guys in there. Then it was like, you must fight EACH OTHER. We went whaaaaa?! I naturally chose to fight. I then decimated my friend's party to win the fight. Now there are people calling me The One, and he's getting people commiserating him and saying "oh maybe better luck next time" as he keeps moaning to me over voice chat :lol:

So I'm hearing an awful lot about this and feel like it's something I should play. I'm very bad at sitting down in front of my PC these days and should probably wait for the PS4 port but I'm wondering how hard is this? And if you bump it down to easy is it still a little bit of a challenge rather than a total cake walk?

On 1-10-2017 at 17:00, Moz said:

You'll see. Actually, you're probably seduce her or trick her instead of banging your head against a tough as nails boss fight for hours :lol: 

I tried seducing her but that went very very, extremely wrong :( The fight took me a few goes too, but since I had been forewarned I got her on my fourth or fifth try.

Spoiler

I sent my main mage Fane in alone, with the rest of my crew hanging back before the passageway. Fane has that handy "play dead" ability, so I was able to run back a bit and drop dead. Which meant that all the monsters that spawned didn't get their turn to attack him. Got up, fight started again, but Fane was first up to move which meant he made it all the way back without being hit. From then on it was a bit 300, only with my mages teleporting the enemies out of the passageway and in front of my tank-scoundrel tag team one by one. Lovely stuff.

19 hours ago, Coltrane said:

I'm on Act II now and just wanted to say thanks to folks for the combat tips I got earlier in this thread. It's really helped me going forward. 

What tips are these? I have a feeling I'm going to need them.

I might be being stupid, but how the fuck am I supposed to keep a rogue alive? Even in "easy" fights where nobody else is having any issues, even after I've spent extortionate amounts of money on the very best gear I can find for my rogue, I'm hitting like a truck but getting killed on the the first enemy turn every single time. Every single enemy turns round and goes after my rogue because she has the highest DPS it seems. 

Edit - I fucking give up man. I'm level 11 and I've tried three separate fights with 3 bunches of level 9 enemies and they all just run exclusively at my rogue until she's dead as if the other party members aren't even there. IDFGI.

7 hours ago, Moz said:

I might be being stupid, but how the fuck am I supposed to keep a rogue alive? Even in "easy" fights where nobody else is having any issues, even after I've spent extortionate amounts of money on the very best gear I can find for my rogue, I'm hitting like a truck but getting killed on the the first enemy turn every single time. Every single enemy turns round and goes after my rogue because she has the highest DPS it seems. 

Edit - I fucking give up man. I'm level 11 and I've tried three separate fights with 3 bunches of level 9 enemies and they all just run exclusively at my rogue until she's dead as if the other party members aren't even there. IDFGI.

This sounds like a weird situation. Are you sure you are not enveloped in any personal quest or the enemies have some sort of connection with your character? Are there any other ways to proceed instead of fighting? Try engaging the battle without your main and bring her in after some time, see how it goes.

@Oz

1) Let your imagination run wild. This is a true sandbox. If you can think it, you can probably do it if you have the appropriate tools. Be careful because everything has a consequence. Entire quests may by lost or changed depending on how you approach situations or what things you discover. Don't double back. Trust your choices and prepare for a lot of "oh, shit moments". 

2) Talk to people and read through the lines. There are vague hints about things almost everywhere. 

3) Be patient with the journal. It sucks, but it is intentional.

4) Pick an Origin character and pick the other three companions as soon as possible. Talk to them in the ship when you start to get a sense of who they are.

5) Even though developing your character is also kind of a sandbox, don't over expand in the beginning. Focus on two skill trees until you learn the mechanics and then compliment that. Don't forget to also check what your party is good at. Picking the same skills will damage your battle synergy. 

6) Battles can be brutal. Use everything to your advantage. From barrels, to obstacles, to height, small things can turn the battle. Also, be very aware of how the elements combine. You can find yourself in a fiery battlefield in seconds if you are not careful. 

7) Pick petpal as your starting skill.

8) Save often.

9) Start the game as multiplayer, even if you are playing single player. You can still go through the game properly but you will also have three spots open in case someone, at some point, wants to join you. You can then assign one of your party members for him or her to control. 

Phew. That's from the top of my head. Have fun. :D

8 minutes ago, Oz said:

thanks... had already missed 9 so time to start over.... lol

Yeah, I also figured that after I have started with my friends, so I restarted in multi but playing as solo picking different class, etc for when we can't play together. You can choose not to have anyone join if you don't want to, of course, but you can change that whenever you want from the Connectivity menu in the main menu. You can invite friends straight from there as well while you are in the game. The only downside is that they will have to pick from one of your characters, they can't bring their own.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

This sounds like a weird situation. Are you sure you are not enveloped in any personal quest or the enemies have some sort of connection with your character? Are there any other ways to proceed instead of fighting? Try engaging the battle without your main and bring her in after some time, see how it goes.

It's exactly the same for my rogue, the advantage I have is Fane is my rogue and I use play dead after his first turn to avoid the insta gib and use evasion on him for the next 2 turns. 

I learnt early that they'll bee line for him. 

I think it's mainly down to the initial burst, opening with backstab and then laying on 2 more crits in a row probably puts you at the top of the aggro list, it's a shame taunt needs phys armour destroyed first because that would solve a lot of problems. 

11 hours ago, Moz said:

Have you tried respeccing and giving your Rogue stench? From what I've read, the AI will prioritise characters with low armour based on the attack they're doing, but if your Rogue is well equipped then stench might be the push he/she needs to get the AI off their back.

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

No, I even did a quest where we got jumped by assassins looking to kill the red prince and they still focused down my rogue first. This is every single fight, regardless of context. She has the highest DPS so they go for her exclusively, even if my clothy is stood in the middle of the fight one hit from death.

Come to think of it, I've got stench on my clothy which might be why they're going for my rogue every time. Some AI whoopsie where they prioritise easiest to kill, then highest DPS, and stench is diverting everything on my rogue? I don't even have time to get physical armor down enough to use provoke on my tank before my rogue is dead at the moment.

I had a bit of a falling out with the Red Prince on the boat, so imagine my surprise when:

Spoiler

after killing him on the boat for insulting me, after punching him and the resulting big fight, he then appears on the beach and wants to join my party, still being a dick. I let him join so that I can kill him much later. All the assassins can wait their turn.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

thanks... had already missed 9 so time to start over.... lol

A few battle specific tips:

1) There are two types of armor, physical (grey) and magical (blue), which are reduced by physical and magical attacks. Almost every status skill in the game (e.g. applying burning or sleep to an enemy) is resisted by one or the other type of armor, it'll tell you in the tooltip. If an enemy has no physical armor, you can use spells which are resisted by physical armor effectively and vice versa. At the start of each fight, examine all the enemies by hovering over them to see  how much of each armor type they've got and plan accordingly. It also goes the other way too, your guys all have both armor types. Right click an enemy and "examine" to see what he's weak/strong to so you're not wasting your time.

2. Action points determine your available distance and not how many times you move. You can make 100 tiny movements in a turn if you really want, it's all about how far you move. Out of combat your characters will avoid poison etc, but in combat they'll run in a straight line. If you want them to take a special route around something, you need to move them bit by bit.

3. There's an option in the options > gameplay to turn on highlights and circles around all of the characters in battle. I find this really useful because people can get lost in fights when you've got a mess of fire and blood and smoke all over the place.

4. Keep the cat alive

5. You can press O to view the fight from an aerial perspective which is quite helpful.

6. If you're playing with friends, establish which direction your cameras are all facing before you tell them to move "left" etc :lol: