On 02/02/2018 at 04:45, partious said:

I was interested in this until I read that the keyboard on the unit is non-functional (on the official site).

19 hours ago, MidWalian said:

I can't decide whether having a functional keyboard would've been a disaster or unbearably adorable.

• 1 month later...

Y'know, I've never actually played a C64 so this is quite tempting. Seems like a decent set up, easy to use and the ability to add your own games seals the deal in many ways. 2018 and it looks like I'll be getting a C64 and a new Spectrum, hahah.

That's a really impressive little unit. Largely decent selection of games, some stone-cold playable classics on there. Firmware/menus look slick, good display options. Certain other retro projects could learn a lot.

Problem there is he's American and it's packed full of games big in PAL-land.  In contrast, I've heard of every single one of those games.  It's a great list.

edit: and yeah the method for loading up anything else is a bit rubbish.  You can get fast loader menus to plonk on your disk which will solve the slow loading issue.  But anything multi disk will be painful. As will wanting access to more than one other disk.

21 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

Yeah I just watched the 8bit Guy review... it’s kinda put me off tbh. I’m going to hold off until there’s a better way of adding games. Until then, I’ll stick with the original one I bought from @Lorfarius

For playing the built-in games it's great, but yeah, having to load games via BASIC, especially with the virtual keyboard, would be a proper faff. You could plug a USB keyboard in there but still it's not a particularly elegant solution. It's a shame they couldn't have a 1541Ultimate-style freezer menu to mount discs and the like. Probably would take some effort though.

15 minutes ago, Vimster said:

For playing the built-in games it's great, but yeah, having to load games via BASIC, especially with the virtual keyboard, would be a proper faff. You could plug a USB keyboard in there but still it's not a particularly elegant solution. It's a shame they couldn't have a 1541Ultimate-style freezer menu to mount discs and the like. Probably would take some effort though.

They've said an update is coming soon so it will add games to the menu and load them immediately. 

On 10/02/2018 at 22:06, SeanR said:

this is the mini that they made while the full-size 'thec64' is delayed.

which will be followed by a handheld...

I've not been keeping up to date with this, is an actual full size version going to be released? If so what's the latest news on it?

45 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

I've not been keeping up to date with this, is an actual full size version going to be released? If so what's the latest news on it?

I reckon the the full size version will be out before we see the zx vega+ delivered to all backers*, shortly followed by the handheld 64, if that's any good to you?

but no, nothing new, guess they're busy with the mini for the time being.

* I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I reckon the the full size version will be out before we see the zx vega+ delivered to all backers*, shortly followed by the handheld 64, if that's any good to you?

but no, nothing new, guess they're busy with the mini for the time being.

* I hope I'm wrong.

I understand why this may be easier to deliver than the full size version but with this done and the funds it provides I don't see why a full size version won't follow, it's surely only about a bigger case with a working keyboard. If and when that is delivered I imagine anything may be possible.

This looks great... However can't help thinking after the initial tinker this might end up in a cupboard somewhere next the the C-64 in a joystick I bought some time ago... so think I'm going to skip this.. Also have an original C-64 knocking about somewhere with a stack of games. Which never gets used either. Although maybe I could get this and move everything else on... mmmm.....

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

This looks great... However can't help thinking after the initial tinker this might end up in a cupboard somewhere next the the C-64 in a joystick I bought some time ago... so going to skip this.. Also have an original C-64 knocking about somewhere with a stack of games. Which never gets used either. 

And this is the eternal problem with this sort of plug-and-play unit. Everyone here either has access to original hardware or Is au fait with emulators. The system is aimed at people who aren't as clued-in but might like to scratch that nostalgia itch. It looks like a decent unit but it doesn't have the universal appeal of a SNES Mini, for instance. It'll come down to £49 or lower soon enough and I think it might pick up some sales then, but £99 is just too high for someone just wanting to relive the old days for a bit.

35 minutes ago, Vimster said:

And this is the eternal problem with this sort of plug-and-play unit. Everyone here either has access to original hardware or Is au fait with emulators. The system is aimed at people who aren't as clued-in but might like to scratch that nostalgia itch. It looks like a decent unit but it doesn't have the universal appeal of a SNES Mini, for instance. It'll come down to £49 or lower soon enough and I think it might pick up some sales then, but £99 is just too high for someone just wanting to relive the old days for a bit.

it's £64.99...

If they get dropped to under £30 i will get one. The C64 was my first computer and i have a lot of good memories of it but returning to some of the games i liked, the gameplay doesn't hold up.

There are several games on this collection i would like but not enough to spend £60 + on.

Does it support more games? (SD card etc?) i would love to add stuff like Hunchback1+2, The Human Race, Jet Set Willy, Chiller, Dizzy, Star Quake etc