IGNORED

Gamers Tourettes

MattyP

Inspired by playing Cuphead for a few hours this weekend....

OK you know everyone has had *that* game or gaming moment that has induced pad throwing rage that is usually followed by a bunch of expletives. 

Cuphead was is currently a game that is doing this to me :D Think last one was (to this extent) Super Mario Sunshine.... 

How about everyone else?

Defiled Amygdala in Bloodborne was one for me, although I was more annoyed at my own incompetence than anything. I had attempted the thing for so long that eventually I started to see the startups for attacks, the giveaway animations, the tells. However, even with this advantage I'd still hurry in when I should know better, and then curse my own impatience. :P I don't know how long the succesful effort took - I just know that when I checked the 15-minute video clip I saved, it started partway into the battle, so my attempt took more than 15 minutes...

Also, Natural Dancer in Persona 3. Even without Sexy Dance  - an enemy skill that inflicts charm on all party members (it's not guaranteed, but usually that just means three characters get charmed instead of four) - the boss will go and put up walls that reflect physical attacks and kill you hard if you're not paying attention and try and rush it. And if you haven't got the necessary skills or accessories to resist charm you'll just end up with Yukari getting charmed and healing the boss repeatedly, which at worst undoes all the work you've done and at best means that it's only recovering 90% of the HP you've drained from your party members' turns.

EDIT: oh and god help you if you're playing on PS2 and have much less influence over party member actions :P 

Super Meat Boy, I go back to it every now and then again when something in my brain malfunctions and I get a thought that I can actually beat it. Then I give it a go, get into it, rage builds and I leave it again for another few months. I'm very much a masochist but even I can't beat that shit 100%. 

It's more interesting to know what expletives you use.

My wife got fucked off with me the other day when I shouted "fucking shitting cheating bastards" (not very imaginative) at the medusa heads in Symphony of the Night.

I always think back to Kurt Russell in The Thing pouring his whisky into the the chess computer.

6 hours ago, Fallows said:

Very Hard Story Mode on F-Zero GX.

The GP section, I think #7, is the only part of a video game to ever break me.

4 or 5 laps of 29 cheating bastard cpu players, a narrow track with no ledges, lava and ice everywhere and 1 measly recharge lane = something that wasn’t fun. At all. 

I have never sworn and raged at any game to the same level that Street Fighter IV, and particularly Seth, managed to coax from me. Before that, the champion was DOA4, and particularly Alpha-152. Something about stupendously cheap bosses that I just don't enjoy.

Mostly, these days, I get angry at games not making it clear what I'm supposed to be doing, or where I'm supposed to be going. Have as much challenge as you like, just always let me know at least the general direction of where I'm meant to be headed next, instead of hiding it in some off-screen NPC.

All my rage induced periods come from my ZX Spectrum days.

The final boss of Ghosts 'n Goblins was the one that made me destroy my original rubber-keyed machine. 

It almost happened again with the 128k model, but I managed to fix that one ;)

Competitive shooters/fighters it goes without saying but also random encounters sometimes set me off like Yakuza at the mo and stumbling into fights when I really don't want to... Skies of Arcadia is probably the worst offender.