rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Untitled goose game (23rd D.I.C.E. Awards GOTY!)

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’m gonna guess that Davros was completely sober and he genuinely thinks you’re a massive cunt.

As for me, I just think you’re a despicable excuse for a human being and a massive, massive cunt.

wtf :blink:

So yeh.. Goose game. I got stuck for ages in the pub with break the dart board and drop the bucket on the angry man’s head and then a little quiet year 7 girl in work (school) told me what to do. I went home that night and her plan worked. I was chuffed. She came to me at the end of the week asking how I got on and I then told her what I did to finish the game and found the rest really easy. Her face dropped, she looked gutted, and said she’s been stuck in that bit for hours. :lol:

• Upvote 4

I'm going to have to play it a bit more. Got it on Game Pass but it's not grabbed me yet. I got a bit bored doing the first couple of tasks around the gardener.  Probably down to thinking about the other games I am in the middle of and should finish first.

It's perfectly good for what it is, a lite stealth game with an original premise, but I don't enjoy the genre and find it mechanically very simple. It was quite funny for the first few minutes but it was quickly replaced by mild frustration and boredom at what the game asks you to do. There's no depth or freedom or creativity to it. It's like a Spot the Dog book. First time you lift up the washing basket looking for the guy and he's not there you think it's gonna be an amazing ride but after opening a cupboard and looking under the duvet with similar results, you get the picture.

I'm reluctant to criticise the game anywhere because you just know someone will reply by saying honk and everyone laughs at you or when you're trying to make a well-developed, coherent argument someone just says honk and everyone laughs at you. 

• Upvote 3

I’m feeling the same to be honest. It’s just a thoroughly average game and I’m confused why everyone seemed to get caught up in the ridiculous hype. Coming to it straight off the back of Outer Wilds probably doesn’t help, but it hasn’t done anything to make me think there’s anything of real substance to it yet. I’ll crack on in the hope I get it, but so far, so shrug.

• Upvote 2

On 18/01/2020 at 21:38, jonamok said:

Come on chaps. The goose deserves better than this.

The forum deserves better than this.  Calling people cunts over a game and then others applauding them for it.   Sheesh.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

The forum deserves better than this.  Calling people cunts over a game and then others applauding them for it.   Sheesh.

First ban since I joined in 2003. Last (and only) warning I got was in 2010. I suspect people are applauding because I usually stay civil and it's fun to see someone snap. Also because of all the games to grumble about over price, this is not one that deserves it. 

Anyway, I'll just go back to not posting much, if at all, and just rolling my eyes at the sheer nonsense people sometimes feel simply has to exit their brains and spill onto the internet, because even though they have nothing positive to contribute they still have to say something, anything, to be in the conversation. 

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

11 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I'm going to have to play it a bit more. Got it on Game Pass but it's not grabbed me yet. I got a bit bored doing the first couple of tasks around the gardener.  Probably down to thinking about the other games I am in the middle of and should finish first.

I never got past the garden section.  I just didn't find it enjoyable and quickly got bored.

Game Pass is perfect for this kind of thing, and has saved me a bunch of cash.

• Upvote 3

I must say it's an alright game, but I don't understand why it's made top ten end of the year lists galore. It's a fun little game, but as others have said it's pretty much a one trick pony. My experience of it so far has been helping out my daughter when she is stuck and watching her play it. I will give it a play through myself but once will be enough for me, and if it wasn't for gamepass I wouldn't bother. 

I don’t think it’s terrible in any way, but it’s the definition of average. Average gameplay, average visual style, average animations, average sound design.

I do wonder why so many people have been taken in by it. Where did the hype train start and why have so many people jumped on board?

I totally get it’s a subjective thing, but I’m confused that anyone who plays a lot of games (I’m talking about you lot!), could see past its mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

It's a mini masterpiece of marketing, no doubt. The initial reveal trailer was superb and captured the imagination. The subsequent radio silence probably only increased the excitement and clamour for it. I think it's a very gif-worthy game, as well, so it spread quickly on Twitter and reddit. The basic premise is very easy to understand and the humour is pretty universal. 

It's only once you start to play that you realise what it actually is, and how limited are the experience and interactions. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Because sometimes it's nice to be given a sandbox and make your own fun?

Maybe it's just not the game for me then. Like I said, it's a perfectly adequate game for a bit of a mess around with, but I honestly didn't find much fun in what I played of it.

20 minutes ago, Mugman said:

If you just look at it and think "here are a series of things I need to do, I will do them and then judge the game based on the other games I have played in my big book of what I think about the games" then yeah you probably wont get as much out of it.

What else can you do, other than tick things off your checklist? It didn't seem to me that there was anything else to do, but maybe I missed it. The play areas feel really small and confined and there didn't seem to be any hidden secrets. I'm only in the second area, so maybe it opens up a lot more as you progress.

Ah well, they can't please everyone. I'll leave you lot to your honks!

• Upvote 1

@Mugman

I will happily take your word for it but it seemed to me that there was very little freedom at all. The idea of 'role playing as a goose' and 'creating your own stories' is completely alien to my experience of the game. It has no apparent depth either mechanically or in terms of 'emergent gameplay', to use that old term. 

That said, if you really enjoyed the humour and atmosphere of the thing, I can see how you would be more engaged in 'filling in the blanks'. It's one where the tone does a lot of the heavy lifting and if you're amused by the premise, it doesn't necessarily need much more in the way of mechanics, etc. 

I would genuinely be interested though if I knew there were depths I'd not noticed or reached. 

• Upvote 1

Outside of the prescribed list my wife and I had a lot of fun just seeing how much we could torment the villagers. And a lot of that is down to the reactive music, the animation and the control over the goose.

It's almost more of a set of toys than an actual game.

• Upvote 6

It's just a very silly and fun game. I think if you play it with others it's more amusing as well because then you see who of your friends are truly evil and just want to revel in it. 

I was playing through it with friends and to begin with, my one friend was just trying to "win", look at list of things, do those things the easiest, quickest way possible. When we got to the neighbours, I kept on stealing the woman's items and dragging them out into the alleyway which he initially thought was part of the plan and the objectives. I was just doing it because it amused me, I wasn't rolfcoptering all over the place but it makes you chuckle, it's "cute" and then by the time we were at the TV shop etc my mate was just robbing stuff and trying to get a rise out of the locals too.

We finished it in one evening but it was good fun and a good "game"; it all worked, it wasn't trying to be a movie, it doesn't have a sense of self importance and it's simple. 

Fair enough it isn't for everyone and it isn't the level of clockwork seen in a hitman game but it's a lot more amusing and enjoyable to play than many of the spectacle driven big budget AAA games which suggest depth but are just big corridors with flashy lights in. Occasionally you want some daft fun like the muppets in between some shooty bang bangs or a heavy thriller, or some sports. 

Also, not everyone likes the same things but for all the fans of it, I don't think anyone really thinks it's a huge breakthrough in the medium or anything. It's just a good game on a very broad spectrum of what a "video game" is. I'd be surprised if any of it's most vocal supporters would seriously claim that it would deserve an edge 10(TM) and is an equivalent to a Mario 64 or a half life. At the same time, for those of us that do enjoy it, it's tiresome when people seem to be utter joyless bastards and insist on shitting on it because, I dunno, they expected the 15 pound goose game to be the citizen honk of the gaming world. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, b00dles said:

At the same time, for those of us that do enjoy it, it's tiresome when people seem to be utter joyless bastards and insist on shitting on it because, I dunno, they expected the 15 pound goose game to be the citizen honk of the gaming world. 

Bit harsh that. I get plenty of joy from lots of different games. I just don’t really get much fun out of picking things up and putting them down again a few feet away, I suppose.

I think the points about it being best played with others is a good one, as is it being more of a toy-box rather than a game.

Each to their own then. I just wondered if I was missing anything, after the amount of praise it’s had.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JPL said:

Bit harsh that. I get plenty of joy from lots of different games. I just don’t really get much fun out of picking things up and putting them down again a few feet away, I suppose.

I think the points about it being best played with others is a good one, as is it being more of a toy-box rather than a game.

Each to their own then. I just wondered if I was missing anything, after the amount of praise it’s had.

It was a joke, hence the use of "citizen honk".

I don't get joy from moving things a few feet but i did get some amusement in playing as a goose in a cartoon English village moving things to wind up the inhabitants. I've never done that in a game before and it was entertaining watching the little cartoon people get stressed out by the silly goose. 

• Upvote 2

Not enjoying the game because you only do the stuff on the list is like not enjoying Lego because you only make the thing on the box.

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, JPL said:

I just don’t really get much fun out of picking things up and putting them down again a few feet away, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of moving a little reticule over a picture of a man and pressing a trigger button, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of turning a picture of a car left and right and making it go forwards, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of tapping in boxes making them black or white, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of moving shapes around a well, I suppose.

Expressing a game in such base terms is not that constructive!

• Upvote 7

I just don't really get much fun out of scrolling down a webpage and reading what people I don't know just don't really get much fun out of.

Oh wait, I do.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Xevious said:

I just don't really get much fun out of moving a little reticule over a picture of a man and pressing a trigger button, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of turning a picture of a car left and right and making it go forwards, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of tapping in boxes making them black or white, I suppose.

I just don't really get much fun out of moving shapes around a well, I suppose.

Expressing a game in such base terms is not that constructive!

You’re right, of course. I was actually thinking the same after I posted, but it’s difficult to explain what makes a game fun. I just don’t find Goose does anything for me. What can I say?

It’s pretty weird how defensive people are getting over this game though!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JPL said:

You’re right, of course. I was actually thinking the same after I posted, but it’s difficult to explain what makes a game fun. I just don’t find Goose does anything for me. What can I say?

It’s pretty weird how defensive people are getting over this game though!

But you're coming in saying "What makes this game fun?" and then people are saying "experimenting" and then you're saying "I couldn't see 'experimenting' on any of the to do lists... I guess I just don't like your silly pick up put down game..."

Dekay's analogy is perfect. It's a fun Lego set that people with imaginations are enjoying pootering about being a Goose in. On top of that is a pretty fun Hitman esque puzzle game, but if the first bit doesn't work for you then you're probably not going to love it.

• Upvote 3