IGNORED

Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood predators

kerraig UK

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

I'm not sure I understand.

the "qualified talented woman" may have been scared out of the industry by the same men " sacked for serial abuse or who takes "early retirement" under the cloud of such allegations"?

6 hours ago, SeanR said:

the "qualified talented woman" may have been scared out of the industry by the same men " sacked for serial abuse or who takes "early retirement" under the cloud of such allegations"?

True, you’re going to have a really rough time attracting back talent when they won’t come back. However I’m certain that other women within the entertainment fields with the talent and qualifications who’ve either been lucky enough not to have been driven out or are new enough not to have been through this could be found to replace the men in the workplace who’ve behaved in such a toxic manner.

There is a certain producer of crap British gangster straight-to-DVD films who must be sweating waiting to be outed. He's already notorious for being a fraudster - hence no cunt giving him financing to make his terrible films recently - but fingers crossed this will finally finish the bastard off. 

7 minutes ago, HarMGM said:

Brigitte Nielsen has come forward to say that the allegations against Stallone aren't based in any fact. Also, the Las Vegas Police have said to have no record of any police report filed against Stallone in this matter.

https://screenrant.com/sylvester-stallone-brigitte-nielsen-sexual-assault/

The police report appears in this article:

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/ask-sylvester-stallone-40-year-old-man-group-sex-masturbate-front-minor/2017/11/10

http://amp.smh.com.au/business/world-business/bidder-for-harassmentrocked-weinstein-company-pushes-for-womenled-board-20171122-gzr3mn.html

edit

It includes a group of investors with female leaders from private equity, venture capital and Hollywood, according to a source familiar with the deal. It proposes retaining the company's employees and has the blessing of attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing some of Weinstein's accusers.

But one aspect of the bid is getting the most attention: Its proposal to install a majority-female board of directors, with Contreras-Sweet as chairwoman.

"I believe we have now reached a crossroads where it is imperative that a woman-led board acquire control of the company and create content that continues to inspire audiences around the world, especially our young girls and boys," Contreras-Sweet wrote in her proposal letter.

Women, she wrote, would be "significant investors in the new company and control its voting stock."

If the bid is successful, it would represent a major overhaul for an all-male board that has seen multiple resignations and has faced questions over what was known about the allegations.

(As part of a statement published in media reports in October, the board called the allegations an "utter surprise;" a spokesman for the Weinstein Co. declined to comment on Contreras-Sweet's bid. Weinstein has apologised for some of his behaviour; in a separate statement, a spokesperson said "any allegations of non-consensual sex are unequivocally denied by Mr Weinstein.")

And, say advisers and researchers on women in leadership, packing the board with women could send a big signal from the new owners about what will change.

"The company has to do something to signal that it is changing in a fundamental way," said Marianne Cooper, a sociologist at the Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford University. "It would take something on the order of a complete cleaning of house, and putting more diversity in key powerful roles. Starting with the board is not a bad place to start."

That's partly because, some researchers argue, having more women in leadership roles is a better answer to solving sexual harassment problems than installing more training programs or anti-harassment policies. Research has shown that having male-dominated management teams can lead to the tolerance of a sexualised environment, said Alexandra Kalev, a professor at Tel Aviv University and the co-author of a recent Harvard Business Review article on the topic.

"Having more women in management increases the share of women who can work to promote women and create a working environment that allows women to flourish," she said.

Moreover, said Kalev, having more than just one or two token women on the board is important for female board members' contributions to be heard and to not be seen as outsiders who represent a woman's point of view. She said research has shown that companies are actually more likely to adopt a diversity program when they have no women on the board than when five percent of the board is women. Having a single woman makes boards feel they've taken some action, and they "feel less of an urge to adopt programs that increase diversity."

It's not until they get to 15 or 20 per cent of directors that they start to make a difference, Kalev said. "They're not seen as representing their gender anymore, but representing the board," she said. "It mainstreams women in positions of power."

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I think I know who you mean anders. But I have no evidence, only rumours.

well, there were rumours about the others in this thread, so... Why not ask the producer to "evaluate their actions, take a good hard look at themselves, and seek the appropriate help" etc etc?

7 hours ago, SeanR said:

well, there were rumours about the others in this thread, so... Why not ask the producer to "evaluate their actions, take a good hard look at themselves, and seek the appropriate help" etc etc?

Because I steer as clear as possible from certain names in my industry. Simon Phillips, Jonathan Sothcott, Michael Cowan etc all have business practices that make it harder for legitimate independent producers like myself to operate. I won't even attend the same functions through fear of association.

It's such a fucking corrupt industry: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15675885.500_investors_call_in_police_over_missing___10m_in_Hollywood_A_listers_film_scandal/?ref=fbshr

7 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Because I steer as clear as possible from certain names in my industry. Simon Phillips, Jonathan Sothcott, Michael Cowan etc all have business practices that make it harder for legitimate independent producers like myself to operate. I won't even attend the same functions through fear of association.

It's such a fucking corrupt industry: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15675885.500_investors_call_in_police_over_missing___10m_in_Hollywood_A_listers_film_scandal/?ref=fbshr

Ah, is that Stealth media? I knew someone who worked there....heard various things from a friend too regarding some of the people who ran it. Interesting! 

51 minutes ago, luth714 said:

Ah, is that Stealth media? I knew someone who worked there....heard various things from a friend too regarding some of the people who ran it. Interesting! 

Interestingly though, as far as I know, Cowen is an absolute gentleman with actresses and female producers. 

Massive news in Australia today about a well loved celebrity with talk of serial harassment over a two decade span.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/a-highgrade-twisted-abuser-don-burke-a-sexual-harasser-and-bully-claims-series-of-women-20171126-gzt6d2.html

Of interest, all the men interviewed who confirm the stories and yet did nothing, even when being in a position to do something. If they felt they couldn’t either due to the power of the network owner or the defamation system down here then something needs to be done to fix it.

This is big news, and it’s only going to get bigger. The Sydney Morning Herald started chasing leads up ages ago and were flooded with stories. Flooded to the point that they’ve set up a joint venture with the national broadcaster the ABC, the Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance and the police to document and report these stories.

It’s not just about Don Burke. Apparently there’s 500 complaints about 63 figures in the Australian media.

Here’s a bit about how they’ve organised the investigation. 

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/the-australian-media-industry-operates-a-protection-racket-for-men-like-don-burke-20171127-gztgu3.html

Maybe it is because of my own experiences, but one theme seems prominent from all these stories - men who think that having a punt at sexually engaging a woman and seeing what they can get away with (with no insight/care into how that would be experienced, or the power dynamics at play). So many of these "apologies" are actually some version of "I misjudged how far to push it" as if in a slightly different context or with a slightly more receptive woman it would have been just fine to grope, expose yourself, wank or force yourself on someone.

It reminds me of those MRA videos about how to show a more assertive sexual interest in women you meet (aka how to sexually assault strangers as if it is normative) and of the incidence of date rape. These examples making the news are obviously particularly pernicious due to the power differential and nature of the gender disparities in the entertainment industry. But it speaks to a massive wider culture problem of men being "persistent" and pushing the boundaries when attracted to women, rather than judging accurately whether such interest is welcome/reciprocated.

Well Don Burke has given an interview answering his critics.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-27/don-burke-speaks-out-on-a-current-affair/9198464

Gardening guru Don Burke, who has been accused of indecently assaulting and sexually harassing a number of women, has told Channel Nine's A Current Affair program that Australians can make up their own minds about whether he is "the most evil person".

Burke admitted he had made mistakes in his life, saying he cheated on his wife numerous times, but denied the latest allegations.

Journalist Tracey Grimshaw quizzed him about whether the allegations stemmed from his affairs and he said his colleagues may have had the view he "wasn't a nice person".

"I'm not that man at all," he said.

"I've got a lot of feelings, things that I would never say.

"A number of the claims were … some of these things are despicable."

Burke accepted fault for jokes he had made and said people were punishing him for making some mistakes.

"[It's] not entirely wrongly, but the sexual stuff is a way of twisting the knife," he said.

"It would be far easier to admit to it; I didn't do it."

'I missed the body language and subtle signs'

Burke said it was up to Australia to decide whether or not it wanted to forgive him.

"I want to say to the people of Australia that this is their chance to judge," he said.

"This is my story, make up your mind if I am the most evil person who has ever lived. That is your decision.

"If you can forgive me for stupidity, that I am grateful."

Grimshaw quizzed Burke about his affairs and he said it was a devastating time.

He also claimed he had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome.

"I missed the body language and the subtle signs that people give you. I don't see that. I suffer from a terrible problem with that. Not seeing. No-one can understand how you can't see it, but you don't," he said.

Many of the allegations happened 30 years ago, and Burke said, "Who remembers what happens 30 years ago?"

"What I know is that I know what I will say and what I will not say. I am quite confident in all of that," he said.

The TV personality said because it was 30 years ago, the stories may not be accurate.

"Just because someone said it doesn't mean it's 100 per cent true," he said.

I guess that explains everything then. The diagnosis so late in life must of been challenging.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/don-burke-denies-allegations-says-he-is-victim-of-a-witch-hunt-in-a-current-affair-interview-20171127-gztwui.html

He said he thought allegations may have come from former staff who "carried a grudge", and that though "they had a reason for carrying it", it was not for the reasons alleged.

Burke also claimed for the first time that he has Asperger syndrome, though he said it had never been medically diagnosed. He said he had trouble looking people in the eye and responding to body language.

For fucks sake. Honestly, throwing people with ASD under the bus. To use as a shield. Words fail me.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

You don't have Asperger syndrome then.

Exactly. It's the first time I've heard the "I've got undiagnosed Asperger's don't judge!" used outside the geek community.

Needless to say many organisations representing people on the spectrum are weighing in and calling bullshit.

News on Harvey which weirdly enough mirrors some of the local news.

First the Harvey one.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/harvey-weinstein-scandal-fresh-twist-producer-accused-of-sex-trafficking-in-cannes-20171128-gzuray.html

A 31-year-old woman has accused disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein of sex trafficking, claiming he groomed her in one country and lured her to another with the promise of work only to force her into an unwanted sex act.

UK-based Kadian Noble filed a civil suit, seeking unspecified damages, in New York, accusing Weinstein of "travelling in foreign commerce ... with the promise of a film role, knowing that he would use means of force, fraud or coercion to cause her to engage in a sex act in his hotel room".

he suit also alleges The Weinstein Company and Harvey's brother Bob "knew, or [were] in reckless disregard of the facts" that it was Harvey Weinstein's "pattern and practice ... to travel in interstate and foreign commerce to entice or recruit [or] solicit young female actors with the promise of roles in upcoming TWC projects or use of his influence on their behalf, knowing that he would then use fraud, force or coercion to engage in sex acts with these actors".

Noble's suit alleges Weinstein had "groomed" her in London some time prior to February 2014 by responding to her visit to his office to drop off a showreel with the comment that he "had a role in mind for her and that 'it will be good for you'."

In February 2014, he approached her at the Majestic Hotel in Cannes, France, and asked her to come to his hotel room to watch her demo reel with him, her suit alleges.

In the hotel room, she alleges, Weinstein began to massage her, telling her she "needed to relax", and if she did, his people "would take care of everything" for her.

He then grabbed her breasts, to which she responded by saying "No, Harvey, no". According to the suit, Weinstein then trapped her in the bathroom and forced her to masturbate him until he ejaculated on the floor.

In response to the latest allegations, Variety reports, Weinstein's representative issued a statement that has been used several times before in response to similar allegations.

"Mr Weinstein denies allegations of non-consensual sex. Mr Weinstein has further confirmed that there were never any acts of retaliation against any women for refusing his advances."

More at the link.

And here's the local story with an allegation of a famous media figure stranding a green journo' interstate. And being stranded interstate is a massive thing in a big country. Especially back in the 80's.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2017/11/28/thirty-years-damage-don-burke-young-adelaide-journalist/

Adelaide businesswoman Amanda Pepe was a young journalist when she first encountered Don Burke - and she says his predatory behaviour has led to 30 years of pain and damage.

Pepe, the publishing director at Opinion Media and a former publisher of InDaily, first met Burke in the late 1980s in Broken Hill, where she had won her first job in journalism as a reporter at the local television station.

What happened next has caused her to add her name to the dozens of women who have called out the former Channel Nine star for his alleged behaviour over many years – from claims of bullying to sexual harassment.

Burke, who has admitted he was a difficult person to work with but strongly denied broader allegations, came to Broken Hill about a year after the 20-year-old Pepe started her career.

He was in town to film stories about Pro Hart and other outback characters.

“He rolled into town with great fanfare with a huge crew,” Pepe recalls. “Naturally, as the only TV station in town, we hosted them and I was tasked with doing a story about him doing a story. Even at that tender stage of my journalistic development I struggled with that concept but obediently followed them around, diving in with a question whenever I could and instructing my cameraman to look for images that put the Sydney visitors into a Broken Hill context.

“At the end of the first day Don declared that we would all dine out together, to thank us for making them feel so welcome. Needless to say, many drinks were consumed. Over dinner, Don’s comments were aimed squarely at my young ego. Classic lines such as ‘you’re wasted up here’, ‘there are so many opportunities in Sydney’ interspersed with more personal comments on my appearance.”

Burke said she would be perfect for a new magazine-style television program he was producing, and offered her an on-air job.

“I fell for it, hook, line and sinker,” she told InDaily.

She resigned from her job, sent her belongings back to Adelaide, and flew to Sydney, full of hope.

She was apprehensive when Burke himself was at the airport to pick her up, and alarmed to see a red rose on the passenger seat.

“I thought ‘right, I’m in trouble’,” she says.

Burke took her to the hotel where she was booked to stay and followed her to her room, where she says he made it clear he expected sex.

She rejected him vehemently – she recalls pushing and shoving.

“I was pretty forceful about the refusal. I seem to remember someone being pushed on to the bed – I don’t think it was me.”

Burke eventually gave up his advances and told her she had made “the worst mistake of your life”.

“He told me ‘you’ve got tonight then you’re on your own’.”

Pepe called Pro Hart, who arranged for a Sydney friend put her up for the night.

The next day she went home to Adelaide and abandoned her career in the media. While she eventually found her way back in to the industry as a manager, she wonders what her career could have been without her encounter with Burke.

“I suppose I will never know – that’s what makes me the saddest,” she said.

“If I had been shown support and appropriate encouragement, then who knows what I might have been?”

She never made a complaint.

“I didn’t even think it was an option,” she said. “It honestly didn’t occur to me. He was so powerful and so famous.

“He knew he could get away with it, so he did it. The people around him who said they didn’t know – I can’t stomach that. There’s no way they wouldn’t have known.”

I’m surprised this has all died down so much in regard to Hollywood. There’s been so many rumours about Bryan Singer, Charlie Sheen etc you would have thought something else would have got out by now. There’s nothing really happening beyond Corey Feldman’s odd movie plan.

1 minute ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

I’m surprised this has all died down so much in regard to Hollywood. There’s been so many rumours about Bryan Singer, Charlie Sheen etc you would have thought something else would have got out by now. There’s nothing really happening beyond Corey Feldman’s odd movie plan.

It really does seem to have died down in Hollywood. It's really lit up in Oz big time. Possibly because Don Burke's public persona was so genial. (Think Rolf Harris in terms of family friendliness, up until last week he would have been one of the most trusted and beloved men in the Australian media landscape.)

I think the interview he did was ill-advised, it's a case study into the less is more when it comes to crisis / reputation management. (Content warning on this, some of the allegations made are quite graphic in nature.)