rllmuk

The Wii U - Future Rarity?

I picked up a Wii U earlier this year with five games, mostly titles I wanted to play (SM3D World, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, MK 8, Splatoon).

Now I will slowly pick up a few more of the exclusives and must plays, but I'm not going to pay silly money for them. The sweet spot is £10, although for first-party titles like Mario Maker I will pay more. After all, some of the Wii's titles that were changing hands for high prices are now down to a reasonable level, so the same will happen long-term with the Wii U.

I packed away my Wii U a month ago having not played it since last June(!). Had to fight the urge to sell on the console and the games. Feels a bit like the Wii again, the disappointment console after the GameCube. Even have a few games for it that I didn't even have the motivation to actually open and play in the end. :( Think what put me off the most was the cumbersome controller – what were they thinking?!

I haven't played my Wii U since I got a Framemeister, which is pretty telling. It's being kept out of circulation by a Mega Drive. 

I basically got it to finish Xenoblade Chronicles properly, and in anticipation of Xenoblade X. It succeeded at the former, but the latter was a huge disappointment.

I never found the screeny pad thing or the pro pad comfortable - something about the shoulder buttons, and whether I rest the rear ridge on my middle finger or ring finger. I also found the embrace of DLC by Nintendo in things like Hyrule Warriors a bit depressing.

I genuinely loved the mechanics of Splatoon, but I was late to it, and the poor level matching system basically meant that I was almost always cannon fodder against people with superior equipment (I did great in the few matches against people my own level).

I seem to have recycled my Wii U box, so I think I'll just trade it in at CEX to get it out of the house, then sell the games and Pro Pad on eBay.

I loved the Cube and the Wii, so this is the first "disappointing" Nintendo console that's actually been disappointing for me

I remember the GameCube games being reasonably priced until around 2008 then prices started to explode. You could still pick up Fire Emblem and Skies of Arcadia for less than £30 at that stage.

I imagine the Wii U library will only rise in price. I can see Kirby, Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures 1&2, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Breath of the Wild, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Project Zero and the licensed games will be silly money in a few years.

I can't believe I bought the Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures games from some dude on Gumtree for £5 each. 

I expect one or both of them will end up on the Switch at some point. Bayonetta doesn't have anything that really needs the gamepad and the functions that TMS uses it for like text conversations could be moved to the main screen. It's only games like Canvas Curse 2 or 3D World that have touch screen functionality that won't be ported across eventually.

42 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I never owned one but I still need to play Bayonetta 2 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions at some point in my life. I imagine the latter will become pretty expensive in the future, if it hasn't already.

They seemingly produced loads of copies of Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Australian market, which for the time being has dragged down the price quite nicely.

• Upvote 1

The wiiU came at a time when I had more money to buy games than time to play them (and some other mental things meant I couldn't be bothered...). What I played, I loved, but that was probably not much more than the first party releases, Lego City and Rayman.

My collection is neighbours with its Wii counter part, you can see the scale difference.

What the WiiU did bring is some amazing looking games in existing franchise, the whole Yarn thing, and incredible new IP in Splatoon and Hyrule Warriors, and ideas Mario Maker, and even Star Fox Zero, probably the best instalment of Mario Kart and a massive Smash Bros. 

Splatoon and Mario Maker aside, due to Nintendos reluctance with online stuff, I think this could become the last predominantly retro able console. Little to no reliance on online updates and play, also the entire Wii back catalogue with ease of play due to having HDMI.

Future classic wise, Nintendo stuff will do well, especially the limited editions.

I also have  Wonderful 101 and WiiFitU as digital titles.

Don't look too close, some are still sealed..

69AE76D7-92E4-48F9-B336-DF404821D58D.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

I've seen them hit 50/60 on Facebook market place.

Do not buy one without the tablet is my advice. 

The games mind are getting pretty hard to find outside of the common popular titles.

I bought a bunch of games and never got round to them at all. 

I completed, I think, two games on my Wii u. 

mass effect 3 and Zelda breath of the wild.  Started a bunch, including Xenogears and got about halfway through before losing the will to live. 

On 06/10/2017 at 21:21, U-1 said:

The one I'm most pleased I got at the time is the limited edition Project Zero. Love the series and think it had a very limited run.

Ive tended to avoid any titles I would never actually play, a full set doesn't interest me either. There are only actually a handful I'm still after.

Still trying to find out if Axiom Verge is being released on it too (physical). Saw a boxart pic a while ago but nothing since.

I do almost decided to buy that game at the time because despite not even owning a wii u, it was def a game I’d be interested in owning and knew it only had a physical release over here and not in the us. Project Zero that is. 

Shameless plug but if anyones after a Wii U pop me a PM. I've ended up with a few over the past year that I intended to mod but just haven't had the time and now just want rid.

Will do a fair price.

I think I have around 40 games that basically represent the best the console had to offer. Anything else would just be buying games for the sake of it.

i loved the wii u. It justified its existence with pikmin 3 alone.

• Upvote 4
22 hours ago, beakbeak said:

i loved the wii u. It justified its existence with pikmin 3 alone.

Funny, that's pretty much the only Wii U insta-classic I never got/played.

But, yes, the Wii U's a fantastic device. Even if you hate the GamePad, you can't fault its software catalogue.

2 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

Funny, that's pretty much the only Wii U insta-classic I never got/played.

But, yes, the Wii U's a fantastic device. Even if you hate the GamePad, you can't fault its software catalogue.

You should get it! 

I played it with the wiimote and nunchuck. I became totally addicted to the time trial challenges. It got marked down in reviews for not being substantial enough content-wise but it’s one of those infinitely replayable games. I reckon I’ve played that first trial level a hundred times alone! 

It does have a timer but it’s not dictated to you by the amount of days but rather how much fruit juice you can process to stay alive. And there’s always loads so it’s sort of a pointless mechanic. It falls in line with both 

• Upvote 1