IGNORED

Gameboy classic mini

Ninja Doctor

Monster Max, Ritman and Drummond's swan song (was Rare, but published by Titus, so who knows what the licensing situation is?)

Amazing game. Although, after Tetris, I think the game I played most on my original GB was Worms - there are way better versions of that, for sure.

Actually, no - my commuting game of choice was Micro Machines; probably that.

GBC would perhaps be a sweeter spot than the GB, but Tetris alone could probably sell one of these.

Then there is Pokemon Red / Blue / Yellow.

Then there is Pokemon Gold / Silver which were forwards compatible games (so to speak).

I'd imagine if it's original GB, it'll be in colour though, so like playing GB games on a GBC / Super Gameboy.

I guess there is also the option that it is a Super Gameboy Mini (i.e. a HDMI plug in, and not a handheld)  not sure how that'd go down though.

1 hour ago, Charles said:

Surely it would have to include all the of the different versions of the gameboy system, including Gameboy Advance?

This is Nintendo we're talking about. No way they'd do that when they can sell you one of these and then a GBA mini classic the following year. Kind of crazy considering the GB Micro already exits. 

1 hour ago, Charles said:

Surely it would have to include all the of the different versions of the gameboy system, including Gameboy Advance?

I reckon  they could do a combined Gameboy/GBC mini and then  (after an N64 mini) a separate GBA Mini. 

I think they should retain the classic Gameboy style but allow it to play GBC games.

This thing is unlikely to have more than 30 or so games on it, so covering GBA might be a bit much especially as the gameboy/gameboy color only has A & B buttons.

Thing with GBA is that there are so many portable options already and games are easily available. Is it really worth it?

6 hours ago, Charles said:

If they can split the games between two £70 consoles, they will :P Make us buy the GB Classic first, a year before the GBA model that everyone really wants.

I’d be fine with a portrait GB and a landscape GBA though, both with backlit screens and rechargeable batteries. I do think the GB version will support both GB and GBC games.

19 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

https://nintendosoup.com/game-boy-classic-mini-now-one-step-closer-fruition/

I said it's gonna be the Gameboy before the N64 mini. Now the evidence is starting to point that way. Cue nine months of inactivity before we all lose our shit over something thirty years old.

According to trademark records, the trademark was registered on September 15, 2017. The trademark is applicable to video game machines, video games, keychains, brief case metal fittings, and clothing.

So it could literally just be a keyring shaped like a Game Boy.

11 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I absolutely adore SML2. It's cute, short and imaginative - perfect for the handhelds of the day. Plus it paved the way for Wario Land, for which we should all be thankful.

I agree it was richly imagined and everything else you said.

I literally mean it's the feel of the controls that's wrong, and the only Super Mario game I thought felt bad to play. Mario feels off when starting jumps, and strangley stunted when bouncing off enemies. Needing to hold up on the d-pad to jump a bit higher feels odd.

Also, the scrolling isn't as smooth as other games in the series. Feels like it's creaking at the seams a bit.

5 hours ago, deKay said:

So it could literally just be a keyring shaped like a Game Boy.

Especially given that the trademark they have registered is literally this image:

DLb_YJ4V4AAqXag.thumb.jpg.1d4ab1bd356cde2851b7bb84cc2fc6a3.jpg

That's literally the only thing this filing protects. It's for merch.

Same with the pictures of classic Nintendo controllers that were filed earlier this year. The filings literally only protect those line drawings.

The entire Game & Watch Gallery series, or better yet, the actual G&W versions themselves, would be lovely in a standalone small handheld someday.

I know I'm in the minority of minorities that would want such a thing, though.

23 hours ago, deKay said:

Well, if you're including GBC then the two best Zelda games.

Yeah, the color and the extra dungeon definitely add something to the original, so I guess you could count Link's Awakening DX as a separate game. Because certainly no other good Zelda games were released for the GB/GBC.

Seriously, though, although it feels like the next logical step, I echo other people's concerns about whether a Game Boy mini would really appeal as much as the NES or SNES Minis. A backlight is essential in this day an de age, and they'd have to include more games and add GBC games as well. It would be amazing if they also added Super GB support and included the Game Boy Camera as well, but I can't see that happening.

I don't really think it would appeal as much. The gameboy colour is still a nice system really and pretty small. Sure a back light would help though.

Also, Age of Seasons and Oracle of Seasons are not bad games but do lack the Nintendo Magic. I think i only played Ages and that was over 15 years ago.

12 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Also, Age of Seasons and Oracle of Seasons are not bad games but do lack the Nintendo Magic. I think i only played Ages and that was over 15 years ago.

I completed them (again) right after completing Breath of the Wild. They're still awesome. Still my favourite Zelda games.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I completed them (again) right after completing Breath of the Wild. They're still awesome. Still my favourite Zelda games.

I will have to try them again. I think they would definitely suit a Gameboy collection although 3 Zelda games might be a bit much? (nope!). There was supposed to be a third game as well wasn't there to complete some kind of "Triforce" collection.

1 minute ago, LaveDisco said:

With Super Mario, Tetris and Pokemon Red/Blue this as a huge amount more mainstream appeal than the NES and SNES.

Priced right this could be a proper mainstream hit. 

If it ever exists. This trademark isn't for such a device.

22 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I wonder how they’ll sort the rights for Tetris for this, if it turns out to be a real product eventually. I remember when GB Tetris was removed from the 3DS eShop supposedly due to rights issues...

They will throw a lot of money at The Tetris Company. A few dollars per unit for a few million units. Money talks

I think it makes too much sense not to happen. There are lots of compelling GB games and Nintendo owns the rights to a lot of the better and memorable ones (Link's Awakening, 6GC, Mario's Picross, Pokemon, Donkey Kong '94, Tennis, Golf, Kirby, Game & Watch Gallery, Metroid, even the awful-but-inevitable-because-Nintendo-is-weirdly-obsessed-with-it Dr Mario and awful-but-Nintendo-let-it-lie Mario & Yoshi)

The only question is whether they split GB and GBC. I think they will, focusing on the 3 Pokemon games (Yellow-Crystal) for a GBC one and no Tetris DX (to avoid the license fee), especially as it means they can include similar titles without them seeming redundant or duplicates (e.g. Mario Tennis/Golf, Link's Awakening DX, later Game and Watch Gallery titles). No chance of GBA until they have done GB/GBC - releasing a GBA Mini in 2021 would line up nicely with the GBA's 20th anniversary.

• 2 weeks later...