OSSC - Open Source Scan Converter

Rob G

Right so here a quick OSSC comparison with the old scaler, now the OSSC does have flaws when it comes to interlaced content and games that changes resolution in-game. Still getting to grips with it and I won't be totally getting rid of the old HDV-8S scaler as it still has a lot of uses. Also the Elgato HD60 Pro doesn't play that well with the OSSC, so I can only catch in Line x2 mode for most console, some Saturn games the Elgato does support at Line x3. Having capture export issues also with the Elgato, but the master videos are fine.

Here's a look at two X-Men vs. Street Fighter videos we did, first is OSSC and second is our old scaler:

OSSC

Old scaler HDV-8S

One other changes is the OSSC video is using the master Elgato .ts recording, where as the latter is using a mp4 export. I had some issues getting shotcut to export the raw file, once I got some advice from the guys who do shotcut, I got it sorted and it does actually improve the video quality even more. Done side is it requires disabling parallel progress, which slows down video progressing no end.  

Right so I am going to really give the OSSC a work out with just about all the main Nintendo, Sega and Sony consoles and I start with an in depth look at how it handles a NTSC Super Nintendo unit and a selection of games on the system, which includes most later chip sets and the Super Gameboy 2. No interlaced games in this video as so few games use it on SNES and the only ones we have are Power Drive and Desert Fighter, which will appear in a PAL SNES video, which is to follow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 22:10, bplus said:

Anyone have any luck pal PS1? The picture on mine is pretty awful, overscan cuts off bottom and top of screen.

What mode you using? Line X5 is cropped in PAL but Line X2 should be fine, haven't tested it with a PAL PS1 console. I have captured a PAL PS1 game on PS2 without issue game was Overboard video here, this was Line X2 mode:

On 18/06/2019 at 12:11, Riven said:

What mode you using? Line X5 is cropped in PAL but Line X2 should be fine, haven't tested it with a PAL PS1 console. I have captured a PAL PS1 game on PS2 without issue game was Overboard video here, this was Line X2 mode:

Cool thanks, I'll check that , think I might be in 5x.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been mulling over getting one of these instead of Sony BVM CRT I've seen which is only 9" and not really suited for gaming at such a small size. 
I really want to get playing my old consoles again, right now the Saturn but it doesn't look so good on my TV via RGB scart. I've seen in a lot of videos people are talking about it working/not working with capture devices but I'm not into that right now, what I'd like to know is how much of a difference does it make to the picture if you're just connecting to a 32" 1080p TV? Is it worth the asking price? Seems like a lot of money. I'm more worried that I'll spend the money and not know how to get the most out of it or notice a difference :lol:

3 hours ago, Zombait said:

I've been mulling over getting one of these instead of Sony BVM CRT I've seen which is only 9" and not really suited for gaming at such a small size. 
I really want to get playing my old consoles again, right now the Saturn but it doesn't look so good on my TV via RGB scart. I've seen in a lot of videos people are talking about it working/not working with capture devices but I'm not into that right now, what I'd like to know is how much of a difference does it make to the picture if you're just connecting to a 32" 1080p TV? Is it worth the asking price? Seems like a lot of money. I'm more worried that I'll spend the money and not know how to get the most out of it or notice a difference :lol:

Its just going to replace the scaler in your tv with the ossc, that’s all.

if TVs had better scalers of 240p or 480p rgb inputs, there would be no need for this device. I have an older flatscreen that works really well with lo res rgb inputs and the picture quality is absolutely fine.

not emulator quality via hdmi, but nothing, not even the ossc will match that.

Thanks for your advice folks, much appreciated :)
I've only just realised the scart cable that came with the Saturn isn't RGB but composite over scart :doh:, so I've just ordered a full on proper RGB one from Retro Gaming Cables; I'll try that out with my TV and see if that helps improves things first but I guess I'd still be dealing with a progressive picture being converted to interlaced and up scaled :unsure: I dunno I'm new to most of this stuff.

• 4 months later...

I don't use mine with PS1 anymore as I'm finding using retro arch in 1080p and that fix that fixes wibbly textures games look way better than what I was getting out of my PS1. Though to be fair I've never found the time to mess around with settings properly.

For megadrive and SNES I'd say it's worth the money though.

Actually, I've been playing N64 games through retro arch, once you've played  high Res ,60fps Goldeneye there's no going back (I've got an everdrive 64 that doesn't get much use these days).

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have definitive settings for ossc? I’ve tried using this http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Optimal_timings but it never feels quite right. For example on the Saturn I’m getting a stretched image and don’t know how to make it 4:3. Also some games like Daytona CCE work fine in game but menus cut out. Am I meant to be loading different profiles for different games? For something made for retro consoles exclusively it’s a shame there isn’t a quick setting menu that’s preloaded with every console that you can then mess with if you choose.

On 21/12/2019 at 15:11, Ketchup said:

Does anyone have definitive settings for ossc? I’ve tried using this http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php?title=Optimal_timings but it never feels quite right. For example on the Saturn I’m getting a stretched image and don’t know how to make it 4:3. Also some games like Daytona CCE work fine in game but menus cut out. Am I meant to be loading different profiles for different games? For something made for retro consoles exclusively it’s a shame there isn’t a quick setting menu that’s preloaded with every console that you can then mess with if you choose.

To cut past the waffle: no, I don't have any definitive settings, or really any for that matter. Sorry.

But! Have a look here: http://www.firebrandx.com/osscprofiles.html

It's a per-system setting, but it works according to the resolution output so technically can be a per-game (or per resolution) thing. Menus cutting out I would guess is like you have on things like Chrono Cross and Silent Hill, where the menu resolution is different to the in-game res, so the settings - only for one of the two - aren't tweaked for both. For stuff like that specifically, it's still all about using a CRT as far as I'm aware, or not using specific settings and just living with the second or so adjustment period when switching between in-game and menus.

Not sure why the Saturn image would be stretched though. Do you have it set to output 4:3 in the OSSC's settings? If so it might be a telly thing. Force it to be 4:3 rather than trusting its auto setting, maybe.

I've just ordered one of these on Amazon since just getting a modded Saturn, My TV settings on scart don't seem to be able to set the display as 4:3. It just has widescreen, zoom and stretch. It is a Philips 49in 4K TV.

I'm hoping the OSSC will sort this out.

Santa was kind enough to bring me an OSSC for Christmas and I have to say that it's exceeded my expectations.

While the 60hz output of my modded SNES and Megadrive systems were first rate, with gorgeous scan lines and silky smooth scrolling I didn't expect it to cope with 50hz output of a Spectrum +3 or an Amiga. How wrong I was.

The Spectrum output looked amazingly crisp with no noticeable display issues.

I am really picky when it comes to smooth scrolling, and the Amiga is one of the best retro systems for shunting stuff around the screen beautifully. I gave Shadow of the Beast a test and was blown away. No jerkiness, no duplicate frames and no screen tearing. It looked bloody gorgeous. 

I'm so impressed that the majority of CRTs I have in the collection are going to be consigned to the garage. The output of the OSSC is that good.

If I had one complaint it's the audio. The audio via HDMI seems very poor. Playing Sonic the Hedgehog, if you have a loud inflame sound it causes the rest of the sound effects / music to really drop in volume for a second. It's very odd. Thankfully, it has a nice audio jack out, so I've hooked it up to a sound bar and it outputs the audio perfectly.

• 7 months later...
19 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Started to show up sub-£90 on eBay.

Probably dodgy as fuck. I’ll see about getting one at the end of the month.

The incoming* OSSC Pro might drive prices of 'legit' OSSCs down to this level. It *might* be worth holding off for now.

*still technically expected this year..

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to get a good picture with an ossc and a PS2? Everything looks like a pixelated mess. Progressive Bob 2x is worse than pass through. I've even tried using free mcboot GSM mode to change output to 480p and pass through on ossc and it looks shit too.

Mostly trying to play ridge Racer 5 and Tokyo extreme racer zero.

4 hours ago, bplus said:

Has anyone managed to get a good picture with an ossc and a PS2? Everything looks like a pixelated mess. Progressive Bob 2x is worse than pass through. I've even tried using free mcboot GSM mode to change output to 480p and pass through on ossc and it looks shit too.

Mostly trying to play ridge Racer 5 and Tokyo extreme racer zero.

What cable are you connecting with? I use component to OSSC and it's fine - PS2 in general is a bit muddy (and jaggy), but generally it does look fine that way.

I'd say try other cables if you have any to hand/can pick one up.

8 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

What cable are you connecting with? I use component to OSSC and it's fine - PS2 in general is a bit muddy (and jaggy), but generally it does look fine that way.

I'd say try other cables if you have any to hand/can pick one up.

Using component. What settings are you using? Line Bob?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems to be the nature of things that there are more questions than answers with OSSC stuff, but I’m going to try my luck anyway.

I got a v1.7 a while back, along with a new (old) TV for my room. OSSC may be considered overkill for my purposes, as I don’t currently use any console older than a Dreamcast and I’m using passthrough mode for nearly everything, so not really taking advantage of the line doubling. What it does is allow me to have all my non-HDMI supporting consoles simultaneously hooked up to a TV which only has HDMI inputs, and it auto switches to the correct input so whether it’s Dreamcast (VGA), PS2 (RGB Scart) or GameCube (component) all I have to do is press the power button on the console to start playing, which is fantastic.

I initially had some issues with overscan, very noticeable on the Dreamcast when I put it in the DVI mode (as recommended for the correct aspect ratio) the bottom centimetre or so of the image was cut off. I messed around with the timings to correct this, before eventually discovering that it was a very vague TV setting (‘display size’ had to be set to +1, wtf) that was causing it and nothing to do with the OSSC.

So that was sorted, but I noticed the PS2 input was not the correct aspect ratio - in 4:3 the black bars at the sides were wider than they should have been, and circles were oblong. I found some timings online to correct the geometry, but it resulted in the edges of the picture being cut off. I made peace with it on the assumption this was typical of CRT displays and probably compensated for in the game design, so I’ve centered it and carried on. However it’s very noticeable in the OPL menus, as some of the text will disappear off the sides. It’s extra annoying because it’s not the physical edge of the tv screen, it’s the edge of the 4:3 picture which makes it look very broken.

I don’t really know how to correct this while maintaining the correct aspect ratio/geometry. Presumably I need to zoom the picture out to introduce slight black bars at the top instead, but as I just followed an online recipe to get the correct geometry I don’t know how to do it properly. Any changes I make to the advanced timings are not visible until I save the profile and reload it, which makes on the fly adjustment very hard. I’m guessing this is a quirk of my TV because everything on the web said you can see the picture moving as you adjust the settings. Not for me.

Anyway I’m currently playing PS2 in accurate 4:3 but missing some of the picture from the sides. Dreamcast is perfect as far as I can tell. I have replaced the GameCube with a docked PSP Go for the time being, the OSSC has a dedicated PSP setting to get those games to fill the screen so I’ve got a renewed interest in all of that. Unlike all the other machines it’s not fully automatic though, as the OSSC can’t tell when the PSP has switched to windowed mode and you have to change it manually.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any advice on using ossc with 4k TV?

I've just bought a Samsung s95b oled. I have only tested my super Famicom, 2x but 5x doesn't.

2x looks like a blurry zoomed in mess.  Are there settings on the TV I can fiddle with that might help?

I'm finding my NTSC NES drops out a lot even at 3x on the ossc + samsung. Similar on super Famicom. I'm using packapunch cables.

I've got an old model ossc, the one that can't do sound via HDMI, needs 3.5 jack.

I've been reading about dejitter mods.  Though it seems that ossc pro has built in help for this. Are the latest osscs all pro models?