Jump to content
IGNORED

Analogue Super Nt


Matthew Kenyon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Eh, they’re basically just script versions of the corresponding written DF articles. The written DF stuff is generally very good too.

 

I have the impression that the data-gathering benchmarking side is really just a necessary step in their real work of understanding how games are using current systems and how we can expect that to develop and change in future. It’s a lot of their content page-wise because it takes a while to describe those sorts of results in prose. You look at the video versions and all that nitpicking telescopes down to talking over a screenshot or a video for a few seconds.

 

People take it and run off and just say “x runs Shootmans 2018 better than y nyeh” but that’s hardly their fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

That DF Retro video is great. It's almost absurd how John Linneman's videos are so much better than the tedious pixel-peeking console war-bait that comprises everything else on Digital Foundry.

 

I think it would be a bit daft to pony up for a PS4Pro, Xbox One X, ninja bastard PC and/or a 4K screen (over the bog standard alternatives) and not care about performance comparisons, but each to their own.

 

I think people have a dated idea of what DF's output is these days, when there's massive differences between how games run on different kit (or even after a patch), and not every game takes advantage of better hardware by default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really tempted to order one of these assuming a third batch goes up. SNES was my first console and I still have all of my games, over a hundred carts, virtually all PAL, so being able to run them at 60hz appeals. 

Plugging an actual console in looks pretty bad on HDTV and I don't have a CRT anymore. 

I'm drawn to the taste bypass US classic version for some reason. 

 

Postage cost is a bit mental though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fallows said:

These aren't going to be a limited production thing are they? Surely they'll run batches off as soon as they hit a pre-order quota?

 

I think the previous NES FPGA console they did, the Nt Mini was restricted to 2 batches, but then that could be down to popularity, and cost as it was over double the price of the Super Nt.

At the moment, I think they are doing small batches, and waiting until the batch has sold out (or more likely shipped to prevent people cancelling and switching to a different colour maybe?) before listing other ones.

I believe that the Nt Mini hasn't come back into stock after those initial 2 batches sold out, but perhaps with the popularity, and reviews of the Super Nt, we'll see more of those too.

Logically, given the effort that has gone into the design, they will likely keep making them whilst demand is high, but I guess you never know.  Of coruse, they won't officially announce a new batch until whatever strategy they have is complete (which seems to be selling out, or shipping the previous batch).

 

Currently slightly put off by the shipping costs (which seems stupid, but hey, it always puts me off) and looking at various different styles of 8bitdo pad on AliExpress too, and hoping a new batch is available soon ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Currently slightly put off by the shipping costs (which seems stupid, but hey, it always puts me off) and looking at various different styles of 8bitdo pad on AliExpress too, and hoping a new batch is available soon ;)

 

It'll get to you in 48 hrs. and they mark it down to $10 so it's pretty good if you ask me. 

This the whole thing came to £170. 

 

I kinda want a second one because it's a small company doing small runs. I want a back up. The machine is fucking amazing btw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

 

It'll get to you in 48 hrs. and they mark it down to $10 so it's pretty good if you ask me. 

This the whole thing came to £170. 

 

I kinda want a second one because it's a small company doing small runs. I want a back up. The machine is fucking amazing btw.

 

I get that, but I don't care about having it in 48 hours.  I'm patient, and have a massive pile of shame already.  I'd much rather pay less, and wait a bit longer.

It's a little frustrating that they have gone thought the hard bit, to trip up (imo) at the final hurdle.

Obviously the hardware design is great, then they have designed a console with a pleasing appearance, similar to, but distinctive enough from the original SNES.

Ok, the firmware GUI looks like it leaves a little to be desired, but it's functional from what I can see.

The output quality is obviously exceptional, and they appreciate than 8bitdo also do some fantastic work, and teamed up with them on the pad appearance, and obviously push their pads officially (via Amazon US)

Then there is the Factor 5 stuff, especially the touch of including the box, and indeed the actual Analogue box itself looks very good.

Then over 25% on top of the cost of the console on postage ;) 

 

The mark down is good though, I'd be REALLY put off (possibly to the point of not bothering) otherwise..

 

I also like the idea of supporting a small company who do nice things like this.  I sold my Ambassador's Edition 3DS to fund this, and I hate selling anything, most of all Nintendo stuff, so I'm fairly committed - just need them to announce a new batch as I don't want black - though your photos have made me appreciate it more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up if anyone ordered from Round 2. It looks like Analogue have dispatched these early and not sent out dispatch notifications. I checked my order page yesterday and nothing, I checked today and it's tracking as being out for delivery (I'm in the UK) though annoyingly no one will be home. It was dispatched from Las Vegas on Tuesday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else here using the jailbreak firmware?  I have it on mine but I'm finding that settings (such as screen size) are not being saved / preserved after powering down.  Any ideas?

 

UPDATE - I'm a fool and now realise that there's a 'save settings' option.  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Anyone else here using the jailbreak firmware?  I have it on mine but I'm finding that settings (such as screen size) are not being saved / preserved after powering down.  Any ideas?

Not super helpful but I've read about saving issues with the jailbroken firmware on other forums. I had assumed the issue was related to game saves but maybe they were talking about system saves.  Whether it was game or system saves (or both) I think the conclusion was that it was a known issue in the firmware that would need to be addressed in a jailbroken firmware update.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Flockheart said:

Just a heads up if anyone ordered from Round 2. It looks like Analogue have dispatched these early and not sent out dispatch notifications. I checked my order page yesterday and nothing, I checked today and it's tracking as being out for delivery (I'm in the UK) though annoyingly no one will be home. It was dispatched from Las Vegas on Tuesday.

 

They've also taken all the pre-order/sold out buttons off of their store. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

 

They've also taken all the pre-order/sold out buttons off of their store. :(

I'd keep an close eye on their twitter feed to see if they do a third round, there still seems to be demand for it but maybe they will only do SFC and Classic colours if they do another production run as the clear and black seemed to take longer to sell out.

 

Mine has apparently now been delivered so it is hopefully with a neighbour and not slung over the fence lying in the snow!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Flockheart said:

I'd keep an close eye on their twitter feed to see if they do a third round, there still seems to be demand for it but maybe they will only do SFC and Classic colours if they do another production run as the clear and black seemed to take longer to sell out.

 

Mine has apparently now been delivered so it is hopefully with a neighbour and not slung over the fence lying in the snow!

 


I actually want a clear one so I do hope we see some more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fallows said:


I actually want a clear one so I do hope we see some more.

I was tempted by the clear too as I like being able to see the electronics but played it safe with the super famicom colour scheme.

 

Thankfully it was left with a neighbour so it didn't get soggy or frozen!

super_nt.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fallows said:

That'd better be a single malt.

 

I always want clear everything, but then I back out at the last minute. I did that with both the GB Color and the NGPC and regretted my choices afterwards.

It's a Dalwhinnie Winters Gold.

 

I have a clear GB Pocket and I have a slightly niggling feeling even now that I should have ordered the SuperNT in clear! ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I'm holding out for a new batch as I have terrible taste and want.... classic. Having never owned a US SNES, but I like the purple. I blame the Ganecube. 

 

Anyway, just refreshed the Analogue shop, as I do now and again,

black in stock..

Classic in stock..

SFC out of stock..

Hang on 

*scrolls back up*

Adds to basket, used Apple Pay for the first time.

 

It's out of stock again, so either the website crapped out and I'll get an apologetic email from Analogue, or I just bought me a shiny new SNES.

 

Am excited.

 

Will post obligatory photo with single malt when it arrives ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Freeman said:

So, I'm holding out for a new batch as I have terrible taste and want.... classic. Having never owned a US SNES, but I like the purple. I blame the Ganecube. 

 

Anyway, just refreshed the Analogue shop, as I do now and again,

black in stock..

Classic in stock..

SFC out of stock..

Hang on 

*scrolls back up*

Adds to basket, used Apple Pay for the first time.

 

It's out of stock again, so either the website crapped out and I'll get an apologetic email from Analogue, or I just bought me a shiny new SNES.

 

Am excited.

 

Will post obligatory photo with single malt when it arrives ;)

 

Same thing just happened to me a few mins ago - I've been waiting for the classic to come back in stock as I've already got 2 8bitdo controllers in the US theme (even if it's probably the worst color scheme)

 

I paid with a card and it's been charged so I'm hopeful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.