Analogue Super Nt

Matthew Kenyon

20 hours ago, merrychan said:

Thanks for that, will give it a try!

EDIT : I was using the firebrandx best fit settings so the integer vertical scale was 4.5x at 1080p, running the 5x profile works superb! Thanks again! @Alexlotl!

Good stuff! 5x works out at 1200px height, so you lose 60px (12px of the native 240p resolution) off the top and bottom, but it's seldom noticeable and preferable for some games (e.g. Sonic 2 on the Mega SG) where there's weird content that was expected to be hidden by the overscan. Note that if you're using an integer vertical scale, you can turn off V-Interpolation for a bit of extra sharpness.

I've given up on Firebrand's settings, they're too fussy for me. I just go for 4x or 5x vertical, horizonal set to the 4:3 for 16:9 preset (obtained by hitting start), H-Interpolation enabled, hybrid scanlines, scanline depth down to 127, and gamma pushed up a bit (1.04 from memory) to compensate for the scanlines. Looks great, and fairly quick to set up again if your settings get nuked by a firmware update.

21 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Good stuff! 5x works out at 1200px height, so you lose 60px (12px of the native 240p resolution) off the top and bottom, but it's seldom noticeable and preferable for some games (e.g. Sonic 2 on the Mega SG) where there's weird content that was expected to be hidden by the overscan. Note that if you're using an integer vertical scale, you can turn off V-Interpolation for a bit of extra sharpness.

I've given up on Firebrand's settings, they're too fussy for me. I just go for 4x or 5x vertical, horizonal set to the 4:3 for 16:9 preset (obtained by hitting start), H-Interpolation enabled, hybrid scanlines, scanline depth down to 127, and gamma pushed up a bit (1.04 from memory) to compensate for the scanlines. Looks great, and fairly quick to set up again if your settings get nuked by a firmware update.

Tried those settings out and they work great on my mid range 2007 LCD LG, can't wait to connect it up to the LGC9 :)

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm trying to figure out what I need to tweak for Super Mario World, it tends to flicker when Mario moves across the screen. I'm using a PAL cart and the only option I tried so far is 1080p 50hz but that didn't make a difference. I don't know the options well enough to see what else would do the trick. I'm certain I saw an option to change to PAL and NTSC but I wonder if that was on firmware 4.9 before I updated it.

9 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm trying to figure out what I need to tweak for Super Mario World, it tends to flicker when Mario moves across the screen. I'm using a PAL cart and the only option I tried so far is 1080p 50hz but that didn't make a difference. I don't know the options well enough to see what else would do the trick. I'm certain I saw an option to change to PAL and NTSC but I wonder if that was on firmware 4.9 before I updated it.

If by flicker you mean the pixels are shimmering a bit you need to enable horizontal interpolation in the video settings, this should remove shimmering with left-to-right movement.

Thanks, yeah that's what was happening. I managed to find the PAL and NTSC option under the hardware settings which solved it. It looks like I'll have to use PAL as the standard option as some games give you a warning that the game won't work which took me by surprise. I guess most games are just trial and error?

14 hours ago, Spiceymike said:

Thanks, yeah that's what was happening. I managed to find the PAL and NTSC option under the hardware settings which solved it. It looks like I'll have to use PAL as the standard option as some games give you a warning that the game won't work which took me by surprise. I guess most games are just trial and error?

You might be able to find a list of PAL optimised games somewhere online, anything that's not been pre-optimised for PAL will run better (i.e. as the developers intended) at the 60hz setting.

I've mainly used my Super NT for NTSC games, bar the odd PAL game I've ran at 60hz anyway so not really had that many PAL related issues.

I'm probably weird but I refuse to play roms on the thing, then it just feels like an expensive emu box. (And yes I know it's not).

There are games that specifically check 60hz, Stunt Race FX PAL will refuse to run on a PAL system set to 60hz, or at least my copy does.

It's already Jailbroken but I wanted to go through my old presteen games that were packed away for the past 20 years...

SNESGames.jpg

Plus yeah, why should I go all that way to play ROM versions of them? The battery backups are surprisingly still intact! I could use a SNES Mini for that route if I want to go full ROM.

Eventually I want to be able to try my old Super Scope on an older TV, would this HDMI to Scart adapter be good enough?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NAT0W2Y/?coliid=ITX969RO8JN40&colid=34Q2H76XQNZ0B&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Also I'm finally able to get the backlogue of Japanese titles such as Mario & Wario and Mario's Super Picross that I've long wanted to try and get for my collection. I can't believe how well some have been kept in boxes on Ebay at reasonable prices.

42 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm probably weird but I refuse to play roms on the thing, then it just feels like an expensive emu box. (And yes I know it's not).

Friend of mine is exactly the same with their SNES Classic.

I've still got some carts up in the loft but I think it'll just be Starfox that will be used. I've got a smallish list of games in the SD card, not the whole library.

Got some proper choice paralysis with what to play on it still, mind :D

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

They're PAL.

Also, the SNES Mini is software emulation. It's literally bargain basement compared to FPGA. That's why the Super NT costs a premium. Let's not forget that.

I'd rather continue to preserve those games, and their boxes.

17 hours ago, Fallows said:

Also, the SNES Mini is software emulation. It's literally bargain basement compared to FPGA. That's why the Super NT costs a premium. Let's not forget that.

I'd rather continue to preserve those games, and their boxes.

the SNES mini has cost more than the super nt in the past

27 minutes ago, ulala said:

the SNES mini has cost more than the super nt in the past

Indeed. I'm still upset at reluctantly buying one as a gift for someone. Sometimes you have to just grit your teeth and resist going all elitist on people.

17 hours ago, Fallows said:

Also, the SNES Mini is software emulation. It's literally bargain basement compared to FPGA

And yet the end result is practically identical by any meaningful measure.  

33 minutes ago, ulala said:

That's why the Super NT costs a premium. Let's not forget that.

That or Analogue have a well developed ability to sell new clothes to gullible emperors. 

21 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Indeed. I'm still upset at reluctantly buying one as a gift for someone. Sometimes you have to just grit your teeth and resist going all elitist on people.

They do look lovely though, and you're helping support the Dev's current rights holders :D

Oh good, we're inching back toward the FPGA versus software emulation debate. Should we throw in the Raspberry Pi for a full bingo card and drop it before being dragged into a squabble about what "meaningful" actually is?

My take on it is that to me sitting on my sofa, decent emulation (e.g. SNES mini - when I say decent I mean proper controllers, sharp graphics and no detectable input lag) gives an almost identical experience when playing SNES games on big modern TVs to an FPGA system like the Analogue Super NT so to be completely dismissive of it as an option is daft (also remember where all the work to figure out how these consoles work in the first place came from - hint: it wasn't Analogue). I wouldn't argue for the blanket superiority of one vs the other because you can't.

I know that if I wanted to play physical SNES carts rather than ROMs I can get a 100% accurate representation of the experience by purchasing a Super Famicom for 30 quid off eBay, and if I wanted to make them look bad by playing them on a massive telly I could buy a generic scaler box that does a pretty good job for £80 ish. To me an FPGA clone of something that isn't at all hard to get hold of (ignoring Analogue's production practises), and costs significantly more money than what it is cloning, is not good value.

Would love to see the colour of a £30 Super Famicom from eBay! Would also be nice to see how composite AV looks into a generic scaler box. And the lag.

I kinda like the SNES Mini, the emulation is pretty good and I've played through a few games on it and the Switch app despite having all other ways of playing SNES games.

But, FPGA consoles are hands down the best way to play direct into an LCD TV.

You're inventing strawmen now because no-one is arguing blanket anything.

But SNESs are not £30 on ebay anymore, a SNES only plays the region it was assigned at birth, a SNES is very difficult for most people to get running on new TVs.

The SNES Mini is fucking great but sorry, the lag is very much there and there ARE other emulation problems. It's good enough for most people but why the fuck are you even in a thread very specifically titled after a specific piece of hardware if you're "most people".

14 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You're inventing strawmen now because no-one is arguing blanket anything.

The post I quoted: "Also, the SNES Mini is software emulation. It's literally bargain basement compared to FPGA". 10 RLLMUK points for "strawmen".

23 minutes ago, Dudley said:

But SNESs are not £30 on ebay anymore

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233989668887 OK maybe £45 once you add a PSU and SCART cable. 

22 minutes ago, Dudley said:

a SNES is very difficult for most people to get running on new TVs

I don't think it is (and I doubt most people with a significant collection of physical SNES carts would either), and so I still don't see the point of a more expensive, less available, FPGA clone vs the actual hardware.

Because once you plug it into a modern TV it's barely more expensive.  And the one you linked isn't £30 and doesn't run UK and US games.

But it will last another 20 years, the SNES used daily won't.  It'll be reliable, it'll have a warranty, it'll do the whole thing natively.

1. The SNES mini is great for the price. 
2. An eBay SNES or SF will be great but modern TVs are rubbish and there’s potential life issues with 1990s electronics. 
3. Super NT is a lovely bit of fpga magic and has a delightful hdmi output. 
4. let’s throw a mister into the mix for a straw man fatality but looks to have a much higher fiddliness quotient. 

all are good options for different people. Me, I’m happy with the SNES mini, would love a super NT and will probably go mister at some point in the future. 

Any appetite for an FPGA versus original hardware versus software emulation thread? I've no interest in the actual debate but it'd be a handy place for people to get their opinions off their chests about it in one place instead of the same argument occurring again and again across multiple threads.