rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
therearerules

Essen

I'm not going this year, but a couple of friends are going for a flying one day visit and bringing me a couple of games back. I should have Nusfjord on Friday and Agra after the weekend :)

Should be going again next year!

And back! It's quite big isn't it? Managed to play a number of games though (Meeple Circus, Tale of Pirates, Ex-Libris, Kingdominio, Nations Dice game expansion, Topiary, FF Flee, FF Fear and more), also bought a bunch of stuff:

IMG_1297.thumb.PNG.94f4a05c96afa75dacf1fef7adf85ab9.PNG

• Upvote 2

Go on then, How much did you manage to get Fabled Fruit for?

And you'll have to tell us what the Magic Maze expansions adds, although I still haven't got through all of the scenarios in the main game.

25 Euro, and 12 for the expansion. The main thing from the MM expansion seems to be guards. I bought the base game on Thursday, played it in the evening, and bought the expansion (+ bonus tiles) on Friday.

Almost bought Meeple Circus, but it's just not polished enough for 40 Euros. Also not that big a fan of Ex Libris- with the constantly changing places for workers and variable player powers it felt like it had a few mechanics too many. Also we kept on running into rules ambiguities.

• Upvote 1

Cheers! Looking forward to checking it out myself.

How did you feel about the con itself? Did you enjoy it? Would you go back? From what I understand it was extremely busy this year. The Saturday must have been insane.

1 hour ago, Andy_Why said:

Cheers! Looking forward to checking it out myself.

How did you feel about the con itself? Did you enjoy it? Would you go back? From what I understand it was extremely busy this year. The Saturday must have been insane.

I enjoyed it. Preferred the UKGAMESEXPO, not just because all the games were in English, but because of the open gaming parts. That said, the giant Asmodee behemoth stand taking up half a hall with video screens, tournaments, videos and a shop was something to behold.

Had a wonderful time in the evening just playing games back in the AirBnb.

I would only go back if I had a game published there. More because of the time cost than anything else.

• Upvote 1

I've managed to play Nusfjord (Uwe Rosenburgs new game) 3 times now since my friend bought it back from Essen for me. It's a bit good. Plays in a shortish amount of time and is full of tough decisions. It's a bit like a cross between Caverna and Glass Road, except it's not really like either of those. Definitely worth a play if you get the chance and like his other games.

Other Essen releases I've managed to play: Fast Forward Fear, Heaven & Ale, Pioneer Days, Montana, Chimera Station, Santa Maria. I've done alright seeing as how I didn't even go. Should be starting Charterstone tomorrow, Pandemic S2 is lined up for after that and trying to get my head around the rules for Agra to play that this Saturday. This time of year is just too silly.

• Upvote 2

Santa Maria was pretty good. I'm not great with spatial puzzle stuff, as I don't really like abstract games, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Not the best of this years games I've played so far but certainly worth a play.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SimonC said:

I've managed to play Nusfjord (Uwe Rosenburgs new game) 3 times now since my friend bought it back from Essen for me. It's a bit good. Plays in a shortish amount of time and is full of tough decisions. It's a bit like a cross between Caverna and Glass Road, except it's not really like either of those. Definitely worth a play if you get the chance and like his other games.

Other Essen releases I've managed to play: Fast Forward Fear, Heaven & Ale, Pioneer Days, Montana, Chimera Station, Santa Maria. I've done alright seeing as how I didn't even go. Should be starting Charterstone tomorrow, Pandemic S2 is lined up for after that and trying to get my head around the rules for Agra to play that this Saturday. This time of year is just too silly.

Heaven & Ale any good?

I only played it 2 player and I suspect it would be better with more but yes it was good. Really tricky trying to balance your money against doing stuff that scores you points.

• Upvote 1

I also went to Essen for the first time this year (about a two hour drive from my place in The Netherlands). I mainly wanted to get Lisboa, which seems a bit difficult to obtain otherwise. I've only played it to completion two times now, but I think I can already put it somewhere in my top 3 of favorite board games of all time. Such a wonderfully designed game with a fantastic theme and full of brilliantly intricate, interlocking mechanics. The interaction with the fantastic multi-layered player boards is such a pleasure (tucking the Noble and Treasury cards underneath and placing the rubble cubes on them etc). It's one of those rare games that I immediately want to play again, even after a session of almost three hours. Will definitely get more of Vital Lacerda's work in the future.

Also got Pandemic Legacy S2, Indian Summer and a couple of older games for good prices. The big difference with something like Gamescom is that here you don't have to stand in line for 4 hours to play something and at the end of the day you actually go home with a pile of brand new games in the trunk of your car. It's great to have the ability to talk to designers and let them teach you the rules too. Will definitely go again next year.

• Upvote 3

Thread resurrection!

Is anyone going to Essen this year? I appear to be going again. I went in 2018 (and 2016 and 2014), going this year and unless something unexpected happens I'll be going next year too :o

Haven't looked into what will be at the show yet but very much looking forward to 5 days of games and beer.

Heading to Essen for the first time this year. Looking for things to do in the evenings.. Does anyone know if there are bars nearby that are popular?

On 24/09/2019 at 13:32, Skeeez said:

Heading to Essen for the first time this year. Looking for things to do in the evenings.. Does anyone know if there are bars nearby that are popular?

Sort of. I wouldn't say there are any good bars, but there are bars. Rüttenscheider Str is very close to the conference center and has some decent places in and around there. We nearly always end up going to Hans Im Gluck for a burger and a few drinks at some stage and then for a few more drinks in the bars around there, but they don't tend to be too lively in my experience. Fritzpatrick's Irish Pub was probably the most lively, but ugh, Irish bars. We have taken to just playing games and drinking back at whatever AirBnB we have rented most of the time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

Sort of. I wouldn't say there are any good bars, but there are bars. Rüttenscheider Str is very close to the conference center and has some decent places in and around there. We nearly always end up going to Hans Im Gluck for a burger and a few drinks at some stage and then for a few more drinks in the bars around there, but they don't tend to be too lively in my experience. Fritzpatrick's Irish Pub was probably the most lively, but ugh, Irish bars. We have taken to just playing games and drinking back at whatever AirBnB we have rented most of the time.

Ha, we are staying in my camper in P2 which is right next to the Irish bar. I expect we'll end up there or somewhere nearby.

It's only £20 for our stay so beggars can't be choosers I guess ^_^