rllmuk
Gotters

Food Prepping

Said I'd post new ones going forward - this one was inspired by @stephen129 posting his chicken hayashi dinner in the 'take a pic of your dinner' thread. I'd never heard of the dish before and do love going off down a new research rabbit hole. Multiple YouTube videos and a bit of reading later settled on this recipe as shows all elements from scratch, and has a lot of views.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/hayashi-rice/

This is a time consuming recipe, spent this morning making the demi glace (reduced flavoured stock, good enough to drink on its own), whilst that was bubbling away I partially froze then sliced the beef to get the authentic looking thin slices (I bought a beef rib joint from supermarket, bit bigger than advised in recipe). It then all comes together quite quickly at the end with an interesting assortment of flavourings going in with the demi glace, and the meat and veg. 

I have to replace mushrooms as my other half despises them, but saw quite a few other recipes had carrots in. Then served with plain slightly sticky rice and some quick wok fried veg.

It's a really interesting taste and hard to describe. You know it's not a classic European tasting stew, but it isn't wholly Asian flavours either - it's a true delicious hybrid, always interesting to see how this sort of thing develops over a couple of days as it matures in the pot.

hayashi1.thumb.jpg.2dcd6c1ab9325da4156e33e8539bd7e7.jpg

hayashi2.thumb.jpg.cb6fe78fa09e7c483a67e8bfad3f589e.jpg

• Upvote 3

Been meaning to attempt lasagna for a while now, but was complicated by the amount of info out there and my other half being milk intolerant.

Solved the milk intolerance by subbing in Oatly in equal amount to milk - in its 'neat' béchamel form it does taste a bit different, but by the end I wouldn't have a clue of the swap out. I did try to hide the oat base a bit with some onion slices, nutmeg, bay & garlic powder in sauce whilst cooking.

I started with the Serious Eats lasagna method, using their classic bolognese sauce recipe, but then pepped it up quite a bit. I've added a few extra flavours to it with a couple of Oxo cubes, pancetta, garlic, pinch of sugar, italian herbs and some fresh sage and a glug of Worcestershire sauce. The bolognese method is slightly flawed in that its very hard to get browning on the meat in such large amounts (even in a giant pot), Bon Appetit make meat balls to get browning before mashing them back in at later point.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/lasagna-bolognese-al-forno-recipe.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily_20200117_Friday_lasagna_SuggestedRecipesTemplate&utm_content=Daily_20200117_Friday_lasagna_SuggestedRecipesTemplate+CID_9f26d3d2d4eeb7ad5034c5d46e4c53bb&utm_source=Email campaign

Used Sainsbury fresh egg pasta lasagna sheets and followed the method to go for lots of thinner layers, criss-crossing over on construction to give better integrity at end. Finally went for a posh cheese wig on the top with grated Parm, Gruyere and cheddar - this isn't for the calorie conscious I suspect. Giant wok full of quick stir fried green veg to accompany. Left it to sit for a good 30 mins before attempting to cut so it could firm up, and worked a treat.

This does take an age to make, even cheating on the pasta - fortunately it does appear to be worth it on first tasting, I've never had a lasagna constructed with so many thinner layers like this, and its really tasty.

las1.jpg.94e7c0c473c71caa5cc0f11436f61cd1.jpg

las2.thumb.jpg.d1e29958e7a775f4bec8f7203a989e72.jpg

las3.thumb.jpg.a998b0765c9b04e63c39d1313b2dbe25.jpg

• Upvote 6

I've almost given up finding a better curry than butter chicken, but every now and then get tempted to try.

The starting point for my inspiration this time was this dhal recipe, which looked a notch up from my pressure cooker one. The toasting of the lentils at the start and then the tempered ghee looked worth a punt - my initial tasting is that this is indeed a more complex tasting dish and I suspect will become my go to recipe.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/mug-dhal-bhuna-recipe

New dhal meant it was worth taking a punt on a new curry too, and this one with its drier stickier sauce grabbed my attention - I went for way more chicken than advised as it just says '6 thighs', which vary a lot in size. Followed the rest of the recipe as written and it did start a bit 'wet' taking quite a bit of heat to get it down to the end thick consistency, fortunately with thigh they can take quite a bit of abuse. I suspect my non-stick pan doesn't help here either as they are notoriously poorer at getting heat into the dish. Initial taste test is very positive but will reserve judgement on spicy dishes until they've sat for day or two. 

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/chicken-bhuna-recipe

Saffron rice is my default for curry so no messing with that.

This chicken bhuna now becomes my 60th main course variant according to my tracking spreadsheet.

bhuna2.thumb.jpg.b814ca858859e9fbe68382dd8f3f975b.jpg

bhuna1.thumb.jpg.38825a0109c949b921a9a41e2eea781b.jpg

• Upvote 2

Do you deseed the tomatoes or just chop them? I am definitely making that Bhuna later this week.

36 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Do you deseed the tomatoes or just chop them? I am definitely making that Bhuna later this week.

i de-skinned them in a bowl of boiling water then just chopped the whole tomato and put the whole lot in, may have explained my excess of moisture at start

• Upvote 1

Something a bit different here, fails my complete meal in a pot test but does fall into the batch cooking and freezing thing.

I never thought of burritos as a candidate for a batch cook, but this 'TinEats' recipe has a great idea to make a thick sauce that hold the whole thing together (she uses refried beans thinned out with water). You simply take one out as needed and reheat in the oven, even from frozen though suspect better to defrost first. 

In a rare turn of events I got loads more out of the recipe as written than she states, I got 8 on a claimed 5. Could be my wraps are smaller, or more likely my technique at filling & rolling them up is poor. 

As a warning this isn't a recipe to attempt if you end up wearing fajitas filling in your lap due to poor construction technique - I was trying to mimic the technique I see them use in my lunch burrito place, but couldn't get wrapped quite as tight.

For research purposes just had one for lunch and the thick sauce and cheese inside is brilliant as holds the whole thing together, also the cooking time slightly firms up the wrap so you don't end up with the contents all slopping out as you eat it. 

Great recipe and the concept is easily adapted now

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-burrito/

Screenshot_04_03_2020__12_35.thumb.jpg.55dc0f85923339ee4f476fd17e09e9d6.jpg

Screenshot_04_03_2020__12_36.thumb.jpg.95d6606bed2ede0172edb843cddc49f7.jpg

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I've tried the bulk burrito making thing before but our office our only has microwaves (because let's be honest no office has an actual oven) and reheating a burrito in a microwave isn't the best :(