rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
sprite

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - Nook goes mobile

Well, that looks nothing like what I like in AC. This is just Warframe's foundry, the game. Ah well, still have my 3DS.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Genuine question, what is it you like about Animal Crossing? I’ve not played the other versions for thousands of hours like some but that looks exactly like the Animal Crossing I know. 

• Upvote 1

Someone’s posted a link to the APK on Neogaf. It’s out in Australia on Android. You’ve got to use an Australian VPN apparently though. 

I'm all in.

@Flub You need to fold the money up and put it in the charging socket or blend it into a smoothie and pour it in through the speakers.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

That looks amazing. Mobile is the perfect platform for Animal Crossing imo. It’s the perfect game for a quick 5 or 10 minutes here or there on a device that you always have with you. Toilet breaks at work will never be the same again. It looks to me to be just as fully featured as the full handheld version too, so if it’s as cheap as I think it’ll be (£19.99 max I reckon if that) then I wouldn’t mind chucking a few quid here and there at it now and again if it keeps my interest. Can’t wait. 

Its definitely not as fully featured as the main game. That area where you can plonk furniture outside looks silly, and doesn't give you much scope for decorating like in New Leaf.

And why the hell am I plonking furniture OUTSIDE. Thats just stupid Nintendo.

Also they said the animals have a favourite item of furniture, well it's only one piece of furniture- that's it. You can see this on the official website.

The same with your camper van, you're given an extremely limited space with not much scope for developing a room into something special.

No way will this be £19 FFS. Bring on the fully featured Switch version please.

26 minutes ago, ahsoka said:

Genuine question, what is it you like about Animal Crossing? I’ve not played the other versions for thousands of hours like some but that looks exactly like the Animal Crossing I know. 

The concept of having a fictitious village with its own soap story arc. That and it reminds me of two nostalgic things:

1. De Fabeltjeskrant (Dutch kids show)

afbeelding.png.8d82b767ad06a9c015b7566cdda3a9d7.png

2. LEGO Fabuland (a sadly defunct LEGO set from the '80s)

afbeelding.png.8cf811415639161fc42f3eeb48ac18d3.png

Animal Crossing is basically a combination of these two for me. It's something to walk through and live in. The accumulation of 'stuff' is secondary and something of a very slow burn. Having to craft stuff to meet villagers in the mobile version is a huge turn off. As is not having your own town.

• Upvote 9

22 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Its definitely not as fully featured as the main game. That area where you can plonk furniture outside looks silly, and doesn't give you much scope for decorating like in New Leaf.

And why the hell am I plonking furniture OUTSIDE. Thats just stupid Nintendo.

Also they said the animals have a favourite item of furniture, well it's only one piece of furniture- that's it. You can see this on the official website.

The same with your camper van, you're given an extremely limited space with not much scope for developing a room into something special.

No way will this be £19 FFS. Bring on the fully featured Switch version please.

Whether or not someone likes the idea of decorating outside is subjective of course but I think it makes a nice change. I wouldn’t say there appears to be much less space either. At the end of the video there’s a swimming pool and a half pipe! Regardless, even if it has a slightly smaller canvas that doesn’t mean it has fewer features. 

There’s also nothing to say that new things won’t be added over time, just like in the previous games. 

Looks a lot more fully featured than I was expecting!

I agree it's a lot more suited to phones, so will be getting this for sure.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where are people getting the 19.99 from? If it's heavy on microtransations I'm sure it will be F2P. Unless that's a full unlock price or something?

• Upvote 1

Looks like a great way to lure people into the Switch version that is definitely coming and is definitely going to be awesome, thanks Nintendo.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Urgh! Animal Crossing is not more suited to bloody phones. 

Why not?

A game that requires small, daily interactions with a day/night cycle and seasonal events and features.

Sounds perfect for something I carry around in my pocket all the time.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Capwn said:

Oh boy. Animal Crossing Pocket Camp coming to your mobile in November!

:lol:

I have a confession. NEVER played an AC game before so am genuinely curious what fans make of it, I get a vibe that they have missed the 'point' of AC here? I thought twitter would be full of rage but the general response I'm getting is pretty positive but wary.

Just thinking of my poor phone battery is giving me woes.

Also that narrator woman is just awful.  Isabelle coulda done the whole thing!

2 minutes ago, Loz Boz said:

Just thinking of my poor phone battery is giving me woes.

Also that narrator woman is just awful.  Isabelle coulda done the whole thing!

Ah I liked her!

I was just about turn the video off because of the squeaking Isabella, my thumb was searching for an A button to speed her up!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Why not?

A game that requires small, daily interactions with a day/night cycle and seasonal events and features.

Sounds perfect for something I carry around in my pocket all time time.

Animal Crossing shouldn't be reduced to a simple tapper game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Urgh! Animal Crossing is not more suited to bloody phones. 

It is. It really is. No more missing timed events because you're out and away from the console. For a game that is built about interacting with it in real time, having it on a device that you always have with you makes perfect sense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

That's all it ever was. I loved the GC and DS versions - things may have changed since - but it nailed the '10-15 minutes, a couple of times a day' formula way before smartphones were a thing. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Sure, but it works perfectly fine on the DS/3DS with touch, no? I think it'd work fine on a phone if the game were the full experience.

7 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

What's the difference between waiting a few days and having a timer?

21 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Did you even watch the video?

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, SMD said:

What's the difference between waiting a few days and having a timer?

There's more to Animal Crossing than timed events.

This looks like a decent enough spinoff game that would work well on mobile and drum up hype for a proper Switch game. 

I'd buy it for around the £7 mark and hope IAPs aren't essential to get enjoyment from it. 

I just popped it on my phone out of curiosity and it's very charming so far. 

The timers are visible above trees etc when you shake the fruit off them. 

I'll play it properly after work but the 5 minutes impression is that I'll be playing this a little every day for far longer than is healthy. 

Screenshot_20171025-133014.jpg

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

There's more to Animal Crossing than timed events.

Mortgages for one.