Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - Nook goes mobile

sprite

It feels like they strangled the “gradually shape your town into your own image” aspect of the real game with the sheer amount of loops you have to cycle through to accumulate stuff. I can see that Animal Crossing is in there but there are so many dialogue boxes to impatiently click through compared to the traditional focus on gathering stuff over time and only occasionally dropping it all off. 

It’s just not rewarding enough second to second, kind of the opposite problem to Mario Run. 

Whereas I've really been enjoying this and I can see this end up as my most played phone game. 

I never play mobile games (because mobile games) but this has been a terrific time waster. I can just check in every now and then, queue up some items and then find them all waiting for me when I log back in. If my queues are full I'll talk to some animals, redecorate, complete some goals and level up my character. It's all been very mellow and casual. The amount of clicking through dialogue boxes doesn't bother me as talking to animals is one of my favourite things when it comes to AC.

I like it!

On 23/11/2017 at 11:32, Harsin said:

Someone made a full Tom Nook containment system.

506gm7bf9nzz.png

In true Skyfall/Avengers style I suspect that it'll turn out it was his plan to get captured all along.

I think the best part about that image is the crazy muthafucker eyes on that dude :lol: I can imagine him constantly quivering and barking "....SENDTHEMTOSPACE!" every few minutes, as he gleefully imprisons the campsite's inhabitants. 

39 minutes ago, Sane said:

I added myself too! Didn't see your Lion King fan fiction, only VN1X's Warframe shopping list :lol:.

Yeah what's up with that? It's the Warframe's playerlist but I have no idea why that's also visible for people visiting the AC list. Weird. 

EDIT: Fixed now, I think.

I don't know what to make of this.  It looks like Animal Crossing, but further play reveals a soulless, mildly sinister task treadmill.

I don't hate it, though. 

I can't work out how Nintendo will make money off it, there is no reason to spend real money at any point. 

I think I'm enjoying this more than any of the regular Animal Crossing games.  I actually know what I'm aiming for in this, and the lists of tasks give it some focus. On the main AC games I normally find after the first couple of days I'm just loading them up, doing the same routine stuff for half an hour then turning it off wondering why I bothered. This feels like it's got more actual "game" to it.

Honestly I think Nintendo's mobile phone output so far has been pretty great. All their games feel like their own thing, they don't replace or detract from the main series entries but they don't simply replicate them either.

Seriously though, you could quite easily turn this into some kind of game about abusive relationships or the carceral system. You are trapped forever in this little work camp. Want that nice cow to come visit you? Well, he refuses until you have made him and electric guitar and a sideboard, and to be able to afford to do that you need to do menial labour for him and his friends while working off your debt to the garage. 

It's fucked up. 

I really fail to see the game in this. Your influence on the game world is limited to the point that this becomes a connect the dots exercise. Only the dots become ever increasing large amounts of resources.

Your camp is severely limited. Your camper is limited. There’s no make-believe play world, only faux friendships based on consumerism.

The most ridiculous aspect is reviewers claiming this is as pure an Animal Crossing experience as ever (which feels oddly similar to how reviewers treated Samus Returns), while disregarding everything that was actually present in the originals.

Everyone might joke about Nook and his extortionist practices, but turning it into the raison d’être of the entire experience is as dystopian as you can get. And that’s disregarding the MTX associated with it.

To me this is without a doubt the worst product to carry the Nintendo logo in probably three decades. Either that or Nintendo is simply giving the masses the skinner box they deserve. 

With the caveat that this is not the same game that we will see six to twelve months down the line, I think it depends on what you define as the Animal Crossing experience. Like for some people Zelda is about the dungeons, I think that for a lot of people, Animal Crossing was about shopping, customizing your space, events like Christmas or Halloween, and doing some favors for the other villagers. And in that case, I think reviewers are justified in stating that Pocket Camp is the Animal Crossing experience.

It's not the full experience, though. I played the original game on the GameCube almost every day for a little more than a year. I'm not so familiar with the other games in the series, so I don’t know what’s changed in the meanwhile—and the cynical side of me would say that the lack of village customization, and the consumeristic aspect of friendships is more realistic—but a significant part of the sense of wonder of Animal Crossing has been excised. 

Nevertheless, I enjoy Pocket Camp for what it is: a small world to dip in for 15 minutes a day. Maybe it’s because I’ve changed as well. The interface could be much less clunky, but it's a nice, enjoyable diversion.

Some people are way too hung up on IAPs, though. IAPs are what made Nintendo $115 million in six months with Fire Emblem.