Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Has this been balanced at all since the original PS4 release? I bought it on release day, and found it very frustrating. Im tempted to give it another go on the switch. Thats if its even out yet!?

I think the core gameplay just felt better and more balanced in the first whilst the 2nd has an undeniable wealth of content and more fleshed out ideas (in the long term). I've never been a great Spelunky player; but jumping on things definitely felt more consistant in the first and stuff like enemy wake up times were all the same and probably a load of other standardised things which made it feel like you knew where you were.

The design just felt in your favour as well, I suppose even though you were squishy - you still felt powerful. In the 2nd there's invincibility frames for enemies, a lot of them have a load of HP and in general it's gone from Adventure to Survival in feel.

2 hours ago, kempstar said:

Has this been balanced at all since the original PS4 release? I bought it on release day, and found it very frustrating. Im tempted to give it another go on the switch. Thats if its even out yet!?

It's been tweaked and balanced in small ways. For example, like Jimmy said, I think there is now a touch more invincibility when exiting/entering doors, and there are now slightly fewer mob spawns in the dwelling. There are probably a few more refinements like this, but it's very largely still the same game.

It is very frustrating though, no doubt. I agree that it trades a little more unfairness for a richer and "bigger" experience - for better or worse I guess is down to personal preference. Enjoyed the discussion we had on the grey areas of unfairness in the thread after launch, and my opinion hasn't changed a great deal although I am now much more acclimatised to it. The man-traps, for example. My brain just sees them now without really much issue - whereas closer to launch they were sometimes basically invisible to me when behind certain scenery. And there are a lot of situations where at first an element of difficulty came from having to unlearn Spelunky HD behaviour, whereas I'm just used to it now - the enemy i-frames being a good example.

Runs still feel the same to the first one to me though, personally speaking. You build and build and build until it (almost always) all falls apart in one moment.

On 25/08/2017 at 20:06, Flams said:

That was hard work. Now I'm cracking on with a proper run from start to finish. Would probably find it easier if I stopped accidentally killing shop keepers. 

Reveal hidden contents

20170825194120_1.thumb.jpg.4c5827ee53d31e36edc87ce5cdbd338a.jpg

Over 3 years later I managed to complete Spelunky 2 using a shortcut and now moving on to a start to finish run. That originally took me 2 months according to this below. I got to level 2 of Neo Babylon just now with a jetpack, shotgun, equipment out my arse and got nudged into lava. I love this game. 

On 29/10/2017 at 12:27, Flams said:

Finally did it start to finish. I had so many runs getting to the last level before Olmec and dying in some idiotic way. 

So now I have two gems above the door at the start of the game, is there another one to get in the middle?

So I've been stuck for a little while with this game and have been starting to wonder if it's time I finally look up its many secrets. My friends and I vowed not to seek help from the internet when trying to unravel this game's many mysteries -- we had solved the Chain from the first game on our own without the aid of guides -- and had been determined to do the same with Spelunky 2. But my friends have all but stopped playing, but somehow I've managed to discover 83% of the journal, but just can't seem like to crack this last 17%. I have tiptoed around this thread in fear of spoilers, but I'm starting to get this point where I just can't figure out what to do anymore. Not sure if I should  just give up the ghost and start looking things up so I can beat the game  for real. If anyone is interested, below are some of the things I've discovered on my own and some of the things that still elude me. 

Spoiler

Things I've done:

Beaten Tiamat

Received the Tablet of Destiny from both paths

Was a VIP in Tusk's home

Discovered all the levels but four, which is mind blowing considering how much time I've invested and how much there still feels left to see. 

Thing that elude me:

Those last four levels in my journal

Lots of items

The Ice Cave Moai and that purple alter

Sparrow's Quest (I accidentally read something about a quest in this thread)

What to do with the Tablets of Destiny

The place above Tiamat

What to do with those fucking funeral things 

What to do with that bow

Alright, so I don't know what the fuck I'm looking for here. Not really answers. Maybe not even hints. I think what I'm really looking for is trying to gauge how realistic my goal of doing this on my own is. Is there is anyone else out there who has tried to complete this game without a guide or without the assistance of the community? I mean, am I alone in the universe in my attempt to complete this game without looking up hints on the internet? Am I just a fucking idiot for trying to something that seems so futile?

@Super Stop and Shop

I tried to mostly avoid spoilers at the beginning and found that the combination of not knowing what to do plus dying constantly was a bit much and realised that I had stopped playing altogether. So just started to look stuff up instead and the game opened up again. So from personal experience I would say wait until you have basically just stopped playing, or the idea of playing isn't very tempting - and then look something up.

One thing I will say is that, as you might expect, I think if you discover the answer one of those questions the answers to a few others will be just around the corner . It's hard to really gauge how likely you are to do it alone though to be honest. Personally, I don't think I'd ever have done it, both because I wouldn't have thought of it - and because I didn't have the staying power without the answers.

I'm happy to give the slightest nudges I can think of if you want. I have experience in being very precious about spoilers :D so will tip toe as much as I can.

I was so confident when I hit that first spoiler I was like:

Spoiler

He must mean get the ankh and sacrifice myself on the altar like you do when trying to get to Duat, and the Moai will open up. And then I hit the second spoiler and realized I'm an idiot. It is literally the same color as the eggplant. Also, I swore I tried sacrificing myself on it before and nothing happened, so I know I'm not just misremembering. You guys saved me a relatively deep run where I would have killed myself for no reason.

Thanks for the relatively minimal hint. I'll continue to try this pointless crusade of figuring things out on my own. I'll see how much further I can get before I inevitably come back here panhandling for more hints. Also, how did you guys direct quote me?

On 07/01/2021 at 21:58, Super Stop and Shop said:

Alright, so I don't know what the fuck I'm looking for here. Not really answers. Maybe not even hints.

Here's a real vague pointer for you:

Spoiler

You always get the "new journal entry" hen you pick up the tablet.

22 minutes ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

Yeah, I noticed the entry changes, but I don't really understand it. Is it something different every time, or does it just depend on what level you got the item in? 

Different every time! Sticks to the same template with 3 variables.

13 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

Welp, almost there:

Reveal hidden contents

I -- armed with the hint from Couk -- uncovered the secret to the funeral things and hatched Qilin. Unfortunately he died by freak accident on the very same stage he hatched, so right before Tiamat. 

Next time...

That's exactly what happened to me first time! So vulnerable...

I'm sure no one cares, but I have to let world know:

Spoiler

Got to Hundun and then died. Managed to somehow complete the Sun challenge on my first go -- I had a shotgun -- and got the arrow. It's easy to put the two and two together that if you get the bow at the beginning and give it to Waddler you can have the set by 8-4. I'm sure you can one shot Hundun's stupid eye with it.

I also have 90% of the journal complete. Very few secrets remain. Though I still have a decent amount of items to be discovered. 

I also just discovered the crown and hedget are interchangeable. Didn't know this, and I may start shaking things up a bit by going to Black Market and then heading to Tide Pool. Before I was going to Vlad's for the cape and then to Tidepool. The guaranteed hops though may still prevail over the randomness of scoring a Jetpack. 

2 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

I also just discovered the crown and hedget are interchangeable. Didn't know this, and I may start shaking things up a bit by going to Black Market and then heading to Tide Pool. Before I was going to Vlad's for the cape and then to Tidepool. The guaranteed hops though may still prevail over the randomness of scoring a Jetpack. 

Also, personally, the number of times I've been cursed by a witch doctor far, far outweighs the number of times I've fallen in lava, although black market is better for bomb quantity.

I much prefer the jungle, but that might just be because of the chance for goodies at the black market, which I end up robbing about half the time (and succeeding maybe half those times, right now (bizarrely buying most of the bombs first, and then robbing the place later)). The witch doctors are a pain, but usually you just have to wait for an opportunity to rush in from distance and headstomp them while their skull is away from you. Then stick the boot in while they're down if possible. But some are really awkward so I will bomb a route past them at a pinch. I find their zapping more of a pain, because once they've started I find it really hard (possibly unfairly so) to break them out of it, so get hit when I thought I'd done enough.

Jungle and volcano aren’t very difficult, per say, but I do my find myself occasionally rolling my eyes cause I’m completely stuck due to an unlucky lava spill or a drill that has either unleashed pools of lava, destroyed an alter, or ripped through a shop. And sure, you can bomb through the floor, but you’ll need at least ten bombs to do so. Jungle is easier — especially because of the gold nuggets on the bear traps now— and you are basically guaranteed stickies. 

On the other hand, I do find Vlad’s cape to be a great in lieu of a jet pack, and it’s guarantee is an attractive proposition for a sunken city run.

I don’t think there is an argument to be made to do the chain through the temple. You just loose too much and have little to show for it by the time you reach neo Babylon. I could be missing something — I still don’t know all the game’s secrets— but I wish Yu had given more of an incentive to players to choose that path over tide pool.

On 24/01/2021 at 18:07, Super Stop and Shop said:

This changes everything.

17 hours ago, Super Stop and Shop said:

I don’t think there is an argument to be made to do the chain through the temple. You just loose too much and have little to show for it by the time you reach neo Babylon. I could be missing something — I still don’t know all the game’s secrets— but I wish Yu had given more of an incentive to players to choose that path over tide pool.

I think the Temple might be for high score, because of the CoG? But there may well may be more reasons.. knowing Derek Yu there's probably multiple reasons for everything.