IGNORED

Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

I smashed a run just now only to find out that if you stick a bomb to Tiamat's face she bounces it off. Of course it flew right towards my face and I didn't recover from being stunned before hitting the bottom of the water :seanr:

Achieved a couple more runs by killing Tiamat and started to work on getting the Ankh. Finally managed that today and killed Kingu at first attempt. An absolutely stunning run in which I was nudged under a lift as it came down on neo Babylon. Honestly I've died more to those lifts than anything else.

Pretty chuffed with my progress recently. I thought I'd played shedloads of the original Spelunky but I've already double that amount of Spelunky 2. 

• 1 month later...

I've finally unlocked seeded runs (I had a devil of a job unlocking Au from the City of Gold). I've only tried a few seeds, but managed to find a decent one already: 00112233 should get you a shop with a jetpack, a box of bombs, and a skeleton key on the 2nd level. You won't be able to afford them all, but that's half the fun. There's also a shop on the 3rd level with climbing gloves, spring-heeled boots (possibly the catcher's mitt too). I'm going to use it to for the Sparrow quest, which I keep on forgetting to follow up on.

Anyone else found any good seeds?

Not yet but I've not really experimented with it yet.

Currently working on getting through the laser death traps at the top of Tiamat's throne. I was so close the other day and of course one minor mistake derailed the run.

• 2 months later...

I've been thinking I should go back to this. I'm assuming it's probably about as 'settled' as it's going to get at this point? Has it changed much since release on the whole?

Curious about the online too, that was borderline unplayable for me back when it came out.

Edit: Hmm, apparently the PS4 version is lagging behind on the update front. Maybe I'll start on Noita instead..

I keep thinking the same but that idea of pushing a little bit further seems far too difficult and complex, and so I done even bother to boot it up.

Complex because the design doesn't feel as obvious to know how best to progress to the next challenge (is: what is it). And difficult because it's too difficult.

Increasingly feel the delicate design of Spelunky 1 has been over-egged.

Yeah, I felt the same with 2 at the start really but wasn't sure if it'd been tweaked in the meantime. I kind of feel like I'm wanting to get back to it more because I love the first so much and had been looking forward to it for ages than feeling any huge pull to play the game on its own merits.

Just had a few runs and made it through to area 6 which wasn't a bad effort after so long I guess but it's like I'm just waiting to have that roguelite/roguelike feeling of 'I could sit here all day playing this' hit me and so far, it just hasn't :(

• 1 month later...
On 18/06/2021 at 21:08, shirubagan said:

Does anyone know when the Switch versions of  Spelunky 1 & 2 are out? Is it July?

News! Appears to be August 26! https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-12-looks-like-spelunky-1-and-2-launch-on-nintendo-switch-this-month

I am PRAYING for cross-platform online play (even though it's unlikely) so that my partner and I can have a full screen each on PS5 and Switch. Currently we're playing local co-op on Spelunky 2 and it causes a lot of needless deaths. We killed Yama in the first game with her on PS4 and me on Vita - it was amazing.

I finally did go back to this over the past week or so, I can't say that it feels as though it's been tweaked much since release so I sort of wished I'd just banked a normal ironman run while I was fresh off Spelunky 1.  Dwelling deaths were rare back then but going back I was rusty as hell.

Took a good while but managed to murder Tiamat with Excalibur and to be honest I think I'm satisfied with that this time around. I'm definitely warmer on the game now than I was (it was always very good of course, just suffers in comparison with the first as most things do) but I think that'd probably flip back if I started going for the Hell run equivalent/s this time around, having had a look the requirements seem even more ridiculous and with the increased randomness in many areas I'm not sure I'd actually find it enjoyable in the end.

• 4 months later...

I give up. I think I hate this video game.

For context: Spelunky 1 is one of my favourite games of all time. I 100% the achievements on 360, and played thousands of hours across Xbox 360, Playstation 3-4, steam and the vita.

But this game is just too fucking hard. It just is. There is seemly no way for me to get good at this game. Its not as if I'm bad at games. I could hell run Spelunky fairly easily. I've completed Sekiro. I'm not exactly poor at playing games. Checking on my PS5 library, I've spent something like 150+ hours on this, and am still shit at it. Every single run there will be something that catches me out, that I didn't expect, and that will (usually) result in an instant death.

I think the reason this game is a disappointment to me breaks down into these four main problems:

1. Slips / Input Mistakes. The first game had a few things which grated a bit. If you were ducking and pressed towards an edge, you would climb down, throwing anything in your hand away. I didn't like this, but because I rarely accidently did it, I didn't mind it being in there. In S2, there just seems to be way more opportunity to get things slightly wrong. And (usually) this results in instant death. Slightly mistime a whip on a mole or lizard, slightly miss a landing, throw an item in your hand over an enemy, instead of hitting them. All of these things seem to combine into way more vicious situations. Most games seem very keen on stopping the player from making any mistakes, this games seems to be designed with them in mind. Like the designer wanted them to happen.
  2. Intentionality: Because of the limited input S2 seems even worse than the first in terms of not doing what you wanted. Picking up the wrong item, throwing dice the wrong way, etc. (This also gets mixed up with the input slips). Grabbing on a ledge, because you wanted to whip an enemy before grabbing the ledge, but mistimed it and whipping after you grabbed, pushing you away from the edge and causing you to fall. So you've not only missed the enemy, you have now dropped to the level below. I experience this, and others, on countless runs.
  3. Short Term Memory Capacity: Supposedly, you are only able to keep around 7 concepts inside your short term memory at the same time (although people have suggested its as low as 4). Either way, the best games seem to work around this kind of idea. You have a certain amount of enemies and hazards to deal with in any engagement. Spelunky 2 just seems to go over my natural ability to hold everything in my head at once. There is always be something that I've forgotten about that catches me out. Especially on the volcano level. You are hanging off a rope, trying to deal with two bats, and a lava monster jumps out a sets the rope alight, causing you to fall into the lava and die. The game is full of shit like that.
  4. Game Design Changes: (I mentioned a few of these in this thread before) All the changes here from the first game seem to be for the worst. The narrower arrow hit box, and arrow trap trigger box. The jump timing sometimes seems off. Throwing seems slightly more fiddly. The whip collision has been slightly narrowed and the end whip animation has been sped up means that its a fair bit harder to whip things. The shopkeepers are way harder to fight in certain situations. I think the worst culprit is the backpacks catching on fire. It's such a bullshit design change. Why would anything think it makes the game better? It just seems to make jetpacks a much worst choice when compared to Vlad's cape. Finally, the increase in things that can stun lock, or one hit kill you. The amount of one hit kill features is just out of control. The worst contender being the lava, but the crush traps / blocks are a close second. And for extra kicks, both of those usually destroy the backpack and weapon you are carrying, making the Ankh borderline useless.

I've just spent like 30 plus hours trying to reach the alien mothership and I just can't do it. I've spent less time playing games I've loved. Its time to uninstall this, before I smash my playstation in frustration.

EDIT: oh, the the fucking moles can do one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started playing this as it’s free on Game Pass (thank fuck), and it’s stupidly hard. Managed to get to 1-4 twice in about 4 hours and a hundred deaths? Quillfuck killed me first time. Made it out the second time. Thought I’d get a shortcut. Nope, a third of the way there apparently. Back in you go. Nah, fuck off. One night and done. Not for me. Uninstalled.

I'd just like to say I think this game is fantastic and I've enjoyed it alot more than the first. I've only got a couple more achievements to do and I've astonished myself by being able to get all the way to the cosmic ocean which I never thought I would ever do when I first became aware of it.

It's hard and yes it can take a bit of getting used to but I'm at a point now we're I'm just used to how it plays and deaths will be because of me having a momentary lapse rather than some piece of bullshit.

I wonder how anyone would feel playing 2 without experiencing 1.

1 is difficult, but gives you the chance to progress if you take your time (and accept its going to kill you a lot). 2 is brutal from the very start. And I think I've had a few unfair deaths... Might be wrong on that, not sure. 

Edit : thought I was posting in the Gamepass thread. Fairly sure 2 has had died on its arse there. 

On 29/12/2021 at 21:57, Tomdominer said:

I give up. I think I hate this video game.

For context: Spelunky 1 is one of my favourite games of all time. I 100% the achievements on 360, and played thousands of hours across Xbox 360, Playstation 3-4, steam and the vita.

But this game is just too fucking hard. It just is. There is seemly no way for me to get good at this game. Its not as if I'm bad at games. I could hell run Spelunky fairly easily. I've completed Sekiro. I'm not exactly poor at playing games. Checking on my PS5 library, I've spent something like 150+ hours on this, and am still shit at it. Every single run there will be something that catches me out, that I didn't expect, and that will (usually) result in an instant death.

I think the reason this game is a disappointment to me breaks down into these four main problems:

1. Slips / Input Mistakes. The first game had a few things which grated a bit. If you were ducking and pressed towards an edge, you would climb down, throwing anything in your hand away. I didn't like this, but because I rarely accidently did it, I didn't mind it being in there. In S2, there just seems to be way more opportunity to get things slightly wrong. And (usually) this results in instant death. Slightly mistime a whip on a mole or lizard, slightly miss a landing, throw an item in your hand over an enemy, instead of hitting them. All of these things seem to combine into way more vicious situations. Most games seem very keen on stopping the player from making any mistakes, this games seems to be designed with them in mind. Like the designer wanted them to happen.
  2. Intentionality: Because of the limited input S2 seems even worse than the first in terms of not doing what you wanted. Picking up the wrong item, throwing dice the wrong way, etc. (This also gets mixed up with the input slips). Grabbing on a ledge, because you wanted to whip an enemy before grabbing the ledge, but mistimed it and whipping after you grabbed, pushing you away from the edge and causing you to fall. So you've not only missed the enemy, you have now dropped to the level below. I experience this, and others, on countless runs.
  3. Short Term Memory Capacity: Supposedly, you are only able to keep around 7 concepts inside your short term memory at the same time (although people have suggested its as low as 4). Either way, the best games seem to work around this kind of idea. You have a certain amount of enemies and hazards to deal with in any engagement. Spelunky 2 just seems to go over my natural ability to hold everything in my head at once. There is always be something that I've forgotten about that catches me out. Especially on the volcano level. You are hanging off a rope, trying to deal with two bats, and a lava monster jumps out a sets the rope alight, causing you to fall into the lava and die. The game is full of shit like that.
  4. Game Design Changes: (I mentioned a few of these in this thread before) All the changes here from the first game seem to be for the worst. The narrower arrow hit box, and arrow trap trigger box. The jump timing sometimes seems off. Throwing seems slightly more fiddly. The whip collision has been slightly narrowed and the end whip animation has been sped up means that its a fair bit harder to whip things. The shopkeepers are way harder to fight in certain situations. I think the worst culprit is the backpacks catching on fire. It's such a bullshit design change. Why would anything think it makes the game better? It just seems to make jetpacks a much worst choice when compared to Vlad's cape. Finally, the increase in things that can stun lock, or one hit kill you. The amount of one hit kill features is just out of control. The worst contender being the lava, but the crush traps / blocks are a close second. And for extra kicks, both of those usually destroy the backpack and weapon you are carrying, making the Ankh borderline useless.

I've just spent like 30 plus hours trying to reach the alien mothership and I just can't do it. I've spent less time playing games I've loved. Its time to uninstall this, before I smash my playstation in frustration.

EDIT: oh, the the fucking moles can do one.

I've only just seen this post. I get where you're coming from. I felt like that at one point, but I'm still playing the Daily Challenge, and often more. I agree with some of your points, and I definitely prefer the first game still. And yet... I'm playing this daily now, instead of that. Probably because there's still stuff to do, and I'm still learning, whereas I'd pretty much rinsed the original.

To address your points:

1: The timing on the whip thing - I dunno. I can just about see it, but it's minimal to me, but the overall point I do take - there are things that feel slightly off, and I get hit more than I think I should. The throwing stuff over enemies is a pain in the arse, but I've learnt to jump and throw downwards, which seems to work most times with stuff that will bounce at least.

2: Grabbing the wrong dice is again, an arsey thing, but easy to spot once you know it's going to happen. I find I know better which item I will pick up in 2, because they are usually layered better visually. It doesn't mean I'm happy with what I get - it just means I'm expecting to get it, and ready to ditch it elsewhere. It's still not good. And I'd love an option to disable the push-away ledge-jump move because I've never even considered using it on purpose.

3: Disagree. That's what makes the game sing, but only after you think you know most of it. The reason I played the original for over 1000 hours is because it still kept finding ways I'd never seen of fucking me over when I thought I was in control. The problem is when it does that when you've still got loads to learn. Having said that I do stick to going the jungle route, simply because I find the lava stuff really annoying.

4: I agree about the exploding backpacks - that's a terrible change I don't like the cursing and poisoning either. I actually find the shopkeepers much easier to fight though, and there are more fun options to do it - the shield, the bear-traps etc. I'm genuinely disappointed if I don't need to rob the Black Market because I like the added spice of having the angry ones about. (On a non-Daily run I will just pick a fight at that point to spice things up.)

To add my own gripes, I just ignore certain levels. I really don't enjoy the volcano levels, or the Egypt ones, and the City Of Gold is awful. The main problem is I really don't enjoy the Neo-Babylon levels either, and I can't dodge them (assuming I get that far).

As I said, I definitely prefer the original, and I do have a love/hate relationship with this. But I think if you loved the first, there's enough good stuff here that makes it worth sticking with. I had a moment today on the Daily where I got in a situation where I'd put the cursed pot down on a narrow ledge, but was being attacked by a bat, and had no avenue of escape, and couldn't attack without breaking the pot,when I realised that actually the best course of action was to get hit by the bat, and use the temporary invincibility that gave me to get to safety, and then work out a proper plan. Normally I'd have panicked and smashed the cursed pot, and fucked the entire run, but taking a small hit was a much better move. Always learning - that's why I still play.

15 hours ago, MarkN said:

To address your points:

3: Disagree. That's what makes the game sing, but only after you think you know most of it. The reason I played the original for over 1000 hours is because it still kept finding ways I'd never seen of fucking me over when I thought I was in control. The problem is when it does that when you've still got loads to learn. Having said that I do stick to going the jungle route, simply because I find the lava stuff really annoying.

You misunderstand me. I completely agree that the "surprise" learning part of the core to why Spelunky is such a delight to play. I distinctly remember thinking to myself "wonder what happens when a man trap runs into / eats a shopkeeper" when playing the first. I just love the idea of every element in the game having its own "rules" which are consistent across a multitude of different interactions, and there is still a lot I don't know which I would love to find out. Especially about the clone gun!

But what I was actually saying is that there is too much to deal with at once. Spelunky reaches the amount of density of hazards and enemies I can just about handle, with the temple / hell level being at the very top limit of my ability. But in Spelunky 2, I find there is usually too many variables to realistically deal with at any one time. There is always something you forgot about that will inevitably lead to your death. I just think Derek Yu has taken the game too far. I saw a steam review where the player criticises the game's difficulty because it seems that Derek and the team have been judging the consumers ability based on twitch streamers and youtubers, and I think this hits the nail on the head. He has made a game for the 1% that is gifted with the extraordinary ability to be able to actually perform a 99 level cosmic ocean run, but for us mere mortals, we've been left behind.

If you and @Flams and the like are good enough to do that, then I salute you. Its just a bitter pill to swallow that' I'll never be able to learn to master the sequel to my second favourite game of all time.

Not even close.

Edited by Tomdominer
Quoted the wrong point.

36 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

If you and @Flams and the like are good enough to do that, then I salute you. Its just a bitter pill to swallow that' I'll never be able to learn to master the sequel to my second favourite game of all time.

Not even close.

I'm honestly not that good. I've just been learning how the game works, same as with the original. I'm rubbish at most hard games, and before Spelunky and Super Meat Boy came along I almost never played platform games. I did 100% the original, but it took me hundreds of hours of playing. I can't remember if I got the last achievement before I hit 1000 hours or after, but it really was a lot.

I honestly felt the same as you about the sequel for a while, but I ended up going back, and now I'm in a much better place with it. I still haven't beaten the Sunken City, and have only ever reached there 3 or 4 times, but I reckon finishing that is manageable, if not all the other stuff beyond.

So, trying to take your advice @Markn and not smash my tv in the meantime.

One thing I did notice is that trying the Gamepass version on xbox, it seems to have new lighting, run at 120fps and also there also seems to be balancing changes which aren't in the PS4/PS5 version? Have they stopped updating the PS4 version then? It certainly doesn't display the version number like the xbox and pc versions do. If that's true, that's fucking shit for the consumer....