IGNORED

Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

Never agreed with a thread title more than this!

Edit: Love the bit in the Derek Yu interview video on the previous page where he gets asked what he learnt from any mistakes whilst making the first game, and he basically says he didn't make any :D.

Edited by John0

• 4 months later...

The first Spelunky is not on Switch yet despite Yu saying it was going to be (I think). Something about being busy with the UFO 52 project. I thought Nintendo were reluctant to launch it on their device since its a bit of a Mario killer, to say the least.

It is on Xbox, of course, which is why I was wondering what the deal is with the sequel.

Its the kind of game that should be on any platform, and none of this exclusivity bollocks.

• 7 months later...

Well, back to Spelunky, I am stupidly excited for this. The first game is a masterpiece and my favourite rogue-like by a fair margin.

The multiple paths, online co-operative multiplayer and water physics we've seen in the trailers look tantalising! An essential purchase for me. Day one!

I only played Spelunky for an hour or so. I didn't really get it. I just died a few times rather quickly and it all seemed super basic. I didn't fully understand what I was supposed to do either, what the point of the game was, other than collect treasure and save a girl on each level.

I'm sure I just didn't get the hook yet, and seeing how many people here love it I should probably give it another go.

What are the main draws for those who love it?

I was never a big fan of platform games before I played Spelunky, but something about it changed my mind. I think a lot of its appeal is the emergent gameplay built up from simple parts that all work together the way you'd expect them to. So whilst the arrow traps that shoot at you when you pass in front of them are really nasty, they'll also shoot at any enemy that passes through them, or indeed at a rock if you throw one past it first. So you can use arrow traps to kill enemies easily for starters, but a good bit of advice is to always carry something - a rock, an arrow, or the corpse of an enemy perhaps - so that if you have to pass an arrow trap, you can trip it safely with what you're carrying. And as advanced knowledge if you're carrying a damsel to rescue her/it, and you get hit by an arrow trap, the damsel will take the hit for you, so it doesn't matter if you're a little careless when carrying one.

That coupled with the procedurally-generated levels means that you're constantly seeing new scenarios, and having to work out how best to approach them. Even after all these years playing it (and I've finished it countless times), I still get situations where - despite all that experience - I'm kinda stumped at how best to approach them. But the gist then is that you generally get better by learning constantly how the game works, and applying that knowledge. It can be harsh at first (those arrow traps seem brutal even now if I run into them carelessly), but the more you know the more you can use that knowledge to progress.

As I said - bits of it seem harsh at first. I think the best bet is to go into each game expecting to die, and being pleasantly-surprised at how far you get, rather than expecting to get through, and being miffed when you don't. Because of the procedural-generation and interaction of systems you'll occasionally die in ways that seem unfair (sometimes they are, sometimes you can work out afterwards what happened, and see how you could have avoided it with hindsight). But the longer you stick with it the better you'll get because you're constantly learning. 

Sorry to keep this to the first game but I beat Olmec a couple of times a few years back then decided to to take a break before going back and doing other stuff. I have played the game once or twice since (obviously in quite a rusty fashion) but it felt a bit aimless. What's the next 'goal' people usually go for after that? Is it hell or is there something worth doing with the alien ship? I think I've made it through there once or twice before. I've played blind up to now but have figured out almost nothing about how to get to hell, I'm guessing it's better just to look it up?

To at least say something about the sequel, I really like how different it looks. The first is so perfectly formed that trying to repeat or improve on that formula probably would've been doomed to fail, but this looks like it'll be amazing in ways that mean the two can happily complement each other. Super intrigued as to how the multiplayer will work. Maybe if one of you dies you'll be able to revive them by carrying the body somewhere?

38 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Sorry to keep this to the first game but I beat Olmec a couple of times a few years back then decided to to take a break before going back and doing other stuff. I have played the game once or twice since (obviously in quite a rusty fashion) but it felt a bit aimless. What's the next 'goal' people usually go for after that? Is it hell or is there something worth doing with the alien ship? I think I've made it through there once or twice before. I've played blind up to now but have figured out almost nothing about how to get to hell, I'm guessing it's better just to look it up?

To at least say something about the sequel, I really like how different it looks. The first is so perfectly formed that trying to repeat or improve on that formula probably would've been doomed to fail, but this looks like it'll be amazing in ways that mean the two can happily complement each other. Super intrigued as to how the multiplayer will work. Maybe if one of you dies you'll be able to revive them by carrying the body somewhere?

There are various secret levels, and:

A final proper level that has the game’s true ending. Getting there requires you to do a lot of tricky stuff in the right order, but it becomes an obsession once you’re clued into it...

18 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Go for Hell. I looked up how to get there (I'm not the kind of player who enjoys finding out how obscure things work, and believe me it's hard enough to get there and finish it without having worked out how to do it first). I was going to type out how to get there - but seriously it's easier to Google it. Lots of work, but worth it.

The Alien ship just gets you the Plasma Cannon. I say "just" but it's a monster. It's a hell of a fight to get to often, but so much fun to use (you can just chew up the scenery afterwards).

I'll share my personal regime, which is this - if I die before I can use the ankh properly (meaning I can't get to hell), I then HAVE to take the path to the alien mothership at the end of 3-4. Because playing around with the Plasma Cannon is just too much fun (even if it will likely kill you). If I have a jetpack, a shotgun and a lot of bombs the mothership is fairly doable. If I have none of these things it's a proper struggle. It's all good. If I get out with the Plasma Cannon - result!

There are also a couple of secret levels to look for (again, I cheated and used the wiki for them). Fun to play, and unlock extra characters, but ultimately skippable.

There's also a bunch of achievements, which at first glance probably look impossible and ridiculous, but that's what kept me coming back at first.

Now I'm over 600 hours deep, all achievements collected (including the two player achievement which I completed by carrying the other player through the game :facepalm:)... I still come back daily, for the daily challenge

The daily challenge sees everyone compete on a single attempt at an identically seeded level. I've only finished first in the world once on that, but I've also had a number of top 10 finishes which are super satisfying. You really have to squeeze every trick in the book to compete at that level, but this is a game that rewards the time invested.

So yeah, as with MarkN and others have eloquently described, the original (HD remake I suppose) is the best game ever in my opinion, and a day one purchase for sure here.

Cannot. Wait. :wub:

@Rsdio I'd go for hell - you need a really juicy run to do it and I actually found that quite fun because you can't expect every run to go that well so there's no pressure. I think on the one when I did it I had jetpack/shotgun/30+ bombs/ridiculous amounts of health from the kapala.

I'm so looking forward to this - Derek Yu's design is so sharp and thought-through and his comments on that video make me believe it's going to be great in co-op especially

One bit of advice to anyone planning on beating Hell. Get used to robbing the black market, and shopkeepers in general. Yes, they're feisty little buggers when riled, but it's the best way forward. You don't want to be paying 50 grand for the Ankh. It will limit the number of times you can attempt to get there, and also spaffs away your final score. As a rule if a shopkeeper in any level has a jetpack (and I don't) I steal it (usually by just picking it up and making a run for it - flying high ASAP so he can't get at me, and hoping he'll end up killing himself). It's just too good a piece of kit not to have. If a shopkeeper has lots more bombs than I can afford I'll usually steal them - often by lobbing a bomb in, then climbing a rope to get out of the way (you have to assess each situation here - if the shop is on the ground floor it's harder to safely rob). Chances are you won't kill the shopkeeper, but they'll usually fall though the floor so you don't have to deal with them just yet. But if I manage to get to the black market without having angered the shopkeepers yet, I will definitely do it there. Again it's worth googling how best to go about robbing the black market, but - honestly - the only times I don't rob the black market is when I haven't found it.

A final thing to remember here is you don't have to kill shopkeepers before leaving a level. (On the 1st world where they're often in tall narrow spaces you can often just stomp them on the head, and then slip through the door before they recover.)

My tactic for robbing the black market is to hold right so you're moving as soon as the level starts, get a foot in the door and just stay there, you catch them by surprise, get the first shot in and you'll usually be OK taking out that top floor.

For the ankh room, if you've got sticky bombs, step on the top rung of the ladder and you can press down and bomb and you'll drop one down the ladder straight onto the pricks head if you time it right.

If you haven't got sticky bombs, just keep chucking them in there until you get him.

50 minutes ago, MarkN said:

A final thing to remember here is you don't have to kill shopkeepers before leaving a level. (On the 1st world where they're often in tall narrow spaces you can often just stomp them on the head, and then slip through the door before they recover.)

Yeah, that's good advice early on, but once you've played more you'll teach yourself all these different strategies through trial and error for dealing with shopkeepers in various situations. Once you get the timing right you can jump on their heads, shoot, wait, jump on their heads.

Another good strategy in that situation is to throw a bomb over the top and then go down to the shopkeepers level on the other side of the wall, that'll stop him from jumping and he'll run back and forward until the bomb goes off.

Another good stategy when you're in that situation is to leave a bomb next to the wall, and then get back a ways, and keep firing as soon as the bomb goes off, and you'll have him killed before he even gets a shot off.

And yet another strategy for dealing with shopkeepers in that narrow exit channel, is to throw a corpse (caveman or damsel) in with them, then stand level with them outside the channel. They'll shoot the corpse and bop themselves over the head repeatedly until death.

My most common way to rob the first shop is to stand on the second item as you enter. Then press jump and bomb at the same time. Your jump should land you on top of the angry shop keeper and give you enough time to steal his gun and get a shot in.