Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

I made it to hell guys! I made it through the first stage of hell even! Then at the exit to the second stage the shopkeeper disappeared and I assumed he must've been killed by a trap or something. Naturally, that wasn't the case.

I'll stop posting about the first one in here now, it won't feel right really once the second is out.

I'm staying away from this and other threads for a while now but having played a few 20 or so runs last night - it all feels familiar but different.

Oh, and harder. I know it might just be learning things a-new but I'm convinced that the first level is much less forgiving than Spelunky.

Looking forward to finding things out for myself from here on out. Laters!

Gave it a quick bash before work and also played Spelunky 2. I have lost all my Spelunky skills, I'm absolutely fucking terrible! So far the game is like a further refined take on the original, but I couldn't even get past the first world so I'm sure the newer stuff is going to blast my eyeballs out when I eventually get to it. Way back in the day I completed Hell (only once!), so I expect to spend hundreds of hours on this game. It's been like reconnecting with an old friend so far and I can't wait to play more.

Anyway, yeah, first impressions are strong.

I really like the art style, once I actually played it in game. Also, the levels (well the mines) feel much more rich and varied. They seem much more hand authored to me, in places. Also, really enjoying the new enemy types. That said, first impressions are that its WAY harder than 1. I spent two hours and could get off the mines.

Mostly its because I could never get past the 

Spoiler

Caveman mini-boss. Which you have to use to open up the exits.

Too early now, I imagine, but I'd love to hear impressions of the online co-op once someone's had a go.

I've convinced a friend who didn't play the first that he should join me for this but I'm not entirely sure it'll go well since he's quite prone to frustration with games. Combine that with friendly fire and it might be a recipe for a terminated friendship but it'll probably be OK if reviving is relatively straightforward. Well, relatively straightforward in theory, at least.

Yeah, you need to be a total chilled hippy type to get on with this game, I think. If you're not someone who can laugh at themselves or is prepared to learn through failure, you've fallen at the first hurdle.

There's been a couple of people I've tried to sell it on and it just made them angry.
I calmly and at length explained why all their criticisms were wrong as well which might not have helped :blush:
People just want you to agree with them when they're venting. Nod your head and stroke their backs sympathetically.

It's objectively the best game ever made. If anyone doesn't like it, it's because they haven't played it enough. Every criticism I've ever heard is just teething pains.

That ghost pot, I imagine you'd carry it to the end of the level before setting it off so you can get the juicy diamond before legging it, or like someone else said, there'll be a secret attached that we have to figure out :D

5 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Really wish this had come out a couple of years back

Why's that, man? You got more shit to do now? You'll always find time, stay up an extra hour :D

3 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

Why's that, man? You got more shit to do now? You'll always find time, stay up an extra hour :D

Noita came out and usurped it in every way I love, so while more Spelunky is always a joy, it no longer feels essential.

Not an answer I'd want to be chewing out in this thread though - just answering because you asked. It's a terrific sequel and that should be the focus.

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

So, yeah, that's if you smash the "ghost" pot. I have no idea why you would want to do that, but it makes the thing you smash into it grey, which must mean something....

Does the ghost still turn loose gems into diamonds when it passes over them? If so it would be a way to summon it (something that I would have liked in the first game once I'd got good at it).

So had a good solid couple of hours. It's so good. So, so good. There's so much to discover. It seems very, very hard but it's so nice to be appreciating Spelunky again without knowing what enemies do and what all the secrets are. It's been so many years that I'd sort of forgotten just how damn *fun* it is just to be bouncing around the early levels discovering everything without worrying about things like losing a good hell run, or feeling that I shouldn't have made this error or that error.

Spoiler

My best run was getting the Eye and then triggering the secret entrance in the Volcana zone and opening up a Hell-like level. I died to what I assume was Vlad at the end of it.

Oh and the Cursed Pot is my favourite new thing. It's such a simple slight change from the rewards on the first one, but I just want to get that pot to the end of the level every time!

I had one quite major bit of slowdown, which is the only slight complaint, but I'm sure they'll iron out stuff like that eventually. Other than that, massively impressed and completely loving it.

Couldn't resist having a quick couple of goes, fell at the last hurdle in 3-1 (which feels easier than its antecedent to me) with a measly $15k.

It seems wonderful of course but I'm definitely going to have to leave it until I'm done with the first, the little differences in feel will fuck me right up.