IGNORED

Spelunky 2 - sequel to the actual best game ever

Shoes

Bit early to judge, but I'm having fun. Got to 2-1.

Seems a bit more busy, more potential for chaos.

Spelunky 1 skills definitely useful, but a lot of new stuff as well.

Not a fan of the moles.

Cavemen are harder to kill. I think they take 3 hits now, as opposed to 2. Makes you much less inclined to stick around and kill them.

Dog seems a bit less hardy.

Nice music in the first world.

48 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Cavemen took three hits in the first as well, usually not worth the effort if you've got no spike shoes.

Good if you have the Kapala (in the 1st game at least). 3 hits equals 3 chances to collect blood for extra health. Also good for getting the Kapala in the first place. Two chances to get them to a Kali altar alive and therefore worth more as a sacrifice.

I got to what I think was an "end boss" today (past world 6). I had 12 lives, a jetpack, all that jazz, but not a clue what I was supposed to do... until I had one life left, where I eventually spotted something interesting, and died immediately.

I've also been able to find the various secret items up to a point. No idea what to do when I get the item in world 4.

1 hour ago, Couk said:

I got to what I think was an "end boss" today (past world 6). I had 12 lives, a jetpack, all that jazz, but not a clue what I was supposed to do... until I had one life left, where I eventually spotted something interesting, and died immediately.

I've also been able to find the various secret items up to a point. No idea what to do when I get the item in world 4.

How on earth have you got there so quickly??!?

42 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Checking the world side daily leaderboard, only one person got to level 6-1 when I last checked @Couk

:wacko:

Yeah but that's dailies innit... unless I'm remembering it wrong and it was world 5 and boss floors don't count. Anyway, this new boss looked EXTREMELY COOL and VERY BIG.

I have some questions that people (@Couk?) might know the answer to:

Spoiler

1. Is there a way to cure poison? At the moment, it just seems like an instant restart.

2. Is there a way to tell which route the Udjat Eye is going to open? I am not 100% sure, but it seems like the drill doesn't always appear in the Volcana level. Is there a black market?

3. Is there a reason for the cave man fire place beyond maybe toasting turkeys with the fire?

4. Is there a way of opening the left route after the fight with Yama. Or once you've taken the Volcana route, are you stuck always going the right routes?

Also, this game has some lovely easter eggs. The favourite I've found is the 

Spoiler

Caveman shop. Which had mostly junk for sale, including a rock? :lol: 

57 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

I have some questions that people (@Couk?) might know the answer to:

Hide contents

1. Is there a way to cure poison? At the moment, it just seems like an instant restart.

2. Is there a way to tell which route the Udjat Eye is going to open? I am not 100% sure, but it seems like the drill doesn't always appear in the Volcana level. Is there a black market?

3. Is there a reason for the cave man fire place beyond maybe toasting turkeys with the fire?

4. Is there a way of opening the left route after the fight with Yama. Or once you've taken the Volcana route, are you stuck always going the right routes?

Also, this game has some lovely easter eggs. The favourite I've found is the 

Hide contents

Caveman shop. Which had mostly junk for sale, including a rock? :lol: 

1. Just rescue Monty and you pass the poison on when you finish the level

2. I’ve seen the drill every time, it seems to be random which level it appears from. Not found a black market yet...

3. Not that I know of!

4. I’ve not found Yama! 

12 minutes ago, Couk said:

Hide contents

1. Just rescue Monty and you pass the poison on when you finish the level

2. I’ve seen the drill every time, it seems to be random which level it appears from. Not found a black market yet...

3. Not that I know of!

4. I’ve not found Yama! 

Spoiler

4. Sorry, I meant Olmec!

Couple of quick non-spoiler questions.. is everyone else playing with black borders around the screen and experiencing pretty bad occasional frame rate drops? I'm playing on a regular PS4... guess these things might not be an issue on the Pro?

18 minutes ago, geldra said:

No black borders here, on a standard PS4 also.  

Cheers! Quick google and apparently I have to go into Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings and tell the PS4 to enlarge the screen, bit strange. Only affects some games. Just in case anyone else is having the same problem.

4 hours ago, Couk said:

Hide contents

Ahh. The left hand Olmec door is an exit, not an entrance. There is a second door elsewhere though. 

There is an entrance on the left on the first floor AND the second floor then? Where does that second one come from? :wacko:

On 15/09/2020 at 10:39, Rayn said:

What I wouldn't give to have this on Switch. I'm getting it for PS4 but being able to play it on the go would've been excellent. 

I agree, I Spelunked 98% of the time on my Vita.  Although I am waiting for the PC version now though, because it's what an expensive gaming pc was made for?

Farthest I've got is 4-3 after about 100 deaths. This feels absolutely NAILS hard. I guess it's hard to compare with the first as it's been so long since I was 100 deaths in, but it feels like it asks a lot more of you. Feels like there are more enemies, and the traps blend into the background more. I'm still at the stage where I'm focusing on the single ultra-hard thing I have to do and something comes from the other side of the screen and blats me. Still very fun and massively compelling! But damn I'm feeling the difficulty and then some.

I turned off run-by-default, I think I prefer it that way.

Starting to feel somewhat accomplished now on world 1.

Got the jetpack for the first time, that was fun. (take that, mole-king)

Got to the jungle for the first time, it was a dark level, lasted about 5 seconds.

11 hours ago, Suedehead said:

I turned off run-by-default, I think I prefer it that way.

Starting to feel somewhat accomplished now on world 1.

Got the jetpack for the first time, that was fun. (take that, mole-king)

Got to the jungle for the first time, it was a dark level, lasted about 5 seconds.

I got to the jungle twice now and each time lasted about the same as you! 

I'm pretty terrible at this. I bounced off Spelunky after a week or two because I got bored of repeating world 1 again and again and could never get past world 3. Spelunky 2 and I've only even got past world 1 twice in about 7 hours!

On the other hand I've learned a crap-ton about world 1 so I've been getting a lot better at it. I'm doing stuff now I never would have dared. It kind of clicked for me yesterday and I felt like even though I'm still getting slaughtered, I'm making progress and I'm enjoying myself. I never really got that with Spelunky 1 for some reason.

One thing that helped me for this game was watching the video of that Youtuber's first runs earlier in the thread. I had never really appreciated the power of throwables or how fast and aggressive you can be before, so that really shifted my mindset. 

27 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm doing stuff now I never would have dared.

Yeah man, I got that so often in the first game.
I'd feel like I'd plateaued, I'd get to a place where I was comfortable and felt safe and would start going for the best score I could within the confines of my current ability, but then I'd get braver and push myself that little bit further and experiment and take a few more chances and it all adds up and one day you're a GOD AMONG MEN!

It's been great reading everyone's impressions. Thank you for using spoiler tags! It's taken all my self-restraint not to unhide them.

These guys did a five-part deep dive on Noita, back when they were podcasting as The Spelunky Podcast. They were excellent and I'm sure these will be too (although expect spoilers):

[Eggplant: The Secret Lives of Games] Into the Depths: Spelunky 2 - Part 1 #eggplantTheSecretLivesOfGames 
https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/thespelunkyshowlike/ITDspelunky_ep1.mp3?