ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

Rushy

Sadly not for me. Feels like a hero game on wheels rather than a race game. Actually, I think calling it a race game is a bit misleading. It’s like WipEout HD’s combat mode just without a 180 button; being in the lead is anything but beneficial.

Not sure what I was expecting, but definitely not this.

I spent forever downloading this (more to download on X?) then once I did get to a point I could launch it I wasn't able to play it anyway due to the beta servers apparently being full. It's disgraceful, I can't believe the game was released in this state and I'll be returning it for a refund :quote: 

Good music, though. 

9 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

@Rushy, can't wait to play, but why bother having the Xbox version say "Ready to Start" when in fact all that does is boot you into a installation screen while it downloads the rest of the 10+GB the game needs to be installed. That shit is just frustrating man.

That's just a bug, it shouldn't say ready to start whilst still downloading the additional Xbox One X 4k Textures. Apologies about that.

10 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I spent forever downloading this (more to download on X?) then once I did get to a point I could launch it I wasn't able to play it anyway due to the beta servers apparently being full. It's disgraceful, I can't believe the game was released in this state and I'll be returning it for a refund :quote: 

Good music, though. 

The beta servers aren't full, as with the message above, the game simply hasn't finished downloading. Once the download has completed you'll be able to jump on with no problems.

Just now, Rushy said:

That's just a bug, it shouldn't say ready to start whilst still downloading the additional Xbox One X 4k Textures. Apologies about that.

Awesome! Didn't get to play in the end last night, I'll be ragging the shit out of it tonight.

Well it's very good looking and intense fun but the "putting you back in the action" mechanic is a little unforgiving isn't it? Give me a chance, I can see the other players right in front of me. 

Pulling myself back into the pack in Mario Kart and then causing a load of disruption is really satisfying and I feel a bit denied of that here. In fact it just makes me feel a bit shit out the gate.

I know I know "git gud" etc.

2 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Sadly not for me. Feels like a hero game on wheels rather than a race game. Actually, I think calling it a race game is a bit misleading. It’s like WipEout HD’s combat mode just without a 180 button; being in the lead is anything but beneficial.

Not sure what I was expecting, but definitely not this.

It's not actually billed as a racing game - it'll still sit in the genre at shops and the like because that's how they operate but there have definitely been a few videos explaining that the dynamic is different.

I think I have found a game I may be good at online. 3 times out of 4 earlier I got the MVP award and the other I got the most gates out of everyone. 

Although I think that may be because some players are still trying to play it like a racing game. Whereas I am making sure I hit my objectives. So give it a few weeks into full release I'll be my usual sucky self. 

Yeah I seem to be pretty good at this as well but time will tell I guess.  I had another few goes and it's growing on me.  I just don't like be up front - nothing seems to happen?  Unless you get extra points for the team? 

3 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Yeah I seem to be pretty good at this as well but time will tell I guess.  I had another few goes and it's growing on me.  I just don't like be up front - nothing seems to happen?  Unless you get extra points for the team? 

You don't benefit by racing ahead. Best bet is to stay in the pack as much as possible. 

14 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

It's not actually billed as a racing game - it'll still sit in the genre at shops and the like because that's how they operate but there have definitely been a few videos explaining that the dynamic is different.

Going to be quite difficult to sell if all you see of the game in all media is a race track with vehicles. I mean, it is different, but marketing's got its work cut out for them in that case. My tutorial experience went from big smile, to frown, to utter confusion, to meh by the end of it as I knew next to nothing upfront.

But I'll be bowing out of here. Simply not compatible with me. :) Enjoy the beta!

I definitely had a "moment" during a round of Countdown mode yesterday where it just clicked. 

I was chaining boosts, targeting fodder, ground pounding jumps, basically anything I could do to keep the boost meter topped up and it genuinely brought back that feeling of trying to chain burnouts in Burnout 2. The rather excellent soundtrack blasting away also helped.

Vortex seems to be my vehicle of choice at the moment.

Think I'll be having a couple more nights on the BETA and then await the full release. 

will be interesting to see how this does, and I applaud the devs for trying something new.

arcade racers have been a tough sell in recent years, and removing the racing element would, on the limited evidence of reactions here so far, seem to split the remaining people interested in the genre quite down the middle.

irrespective of the quality of the game, which looks quite high, I think this may be a tough sell. 

1 hour ago, Rushy said:

The beta servers aren't full, as with the message above, the game simply hasn't finished downloading. Once the download has completed you'll be able to jump on with no problems.  

Aha, at least it'll be done by the time I'm on later, just couldn't wait to give it a go. If anything I thought that beta servers being (seemingly) full was a good thing, that much popularity would be a good sign! Also I was clearly joking, how can I return a free beta for a refund :lol:

44 minutes ago, Gotters said:

will be interesting to see how this does, and I applaud the devs for trying something new.

arcade racers have been a tough sell in recent years, and removing the racing element would, on the limited evidence of reactions here so far, seem to split the remaining people interested in the genre quite down the middle.

irrespective of the quality of the game, which looks quite high, I think this may be a tough sell. 

it doesn't help that the title of the thread is Arcade Racer I think that led to some confusion when I loaded the beta. But I guess if you are trying something new its hard to categorise it.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

Although I think that may be because some players are still trying to play it like a racing game. Whereas I am making sure I hit my objectives...

Forgot to mention last night that I had a fair few of the usual team members who clearly didn't understand what was going on and as a result were trying to wreck me instead. Hopefully those idiots will have learned soon.

8 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

Forgot to mention last night that I had a fair few of the usual team members who clearly didn't understand what was going on and as a result were trying to wreck me instead. Hopefully those idiots will have learned soon.

I got this all day yesterday ,I enjoy the bike the most as well as the vortex but loads of times I'm going for a gate and I get rammed by my own teammates and I go flying 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Yep agree think inevitably it will end up being quite a marmite game... and that's always the risk when straying from an expected formula.

This is where the beta works as it's pretty tricky summing up the type of game it is, it has to be played to be understood and even then can certainly take a few races to understand what's going on. 

@Rushy are there any plans to expand the beta (add/rotate some of the other game modes) prior to launch?

2 hours ago, MeanElf said:

Yeah but literally every article I've seen describes it as "New racing game".

And it's not.

For instance, this copy of Gamesmaster, on the cover "ONRUSH : The triumphant return of arcade racing".

33 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah but literally every article I've seen describes it as "New racing game".

And it's not.

For instance, this copy of Gamesmaster, on the cover "ONRUSH : The triumphant return of arcade racing".

And that would be the fault of sloppy article writing and store marketing - the team announced that the aim was different quite some time ago and that it isn't racing per se - or more accurately, not as we know it (as it technically is still a race to get the most points) ;)

I appreciate that it might not be for everyone - I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the fracas myself when that was announced, for good reasons - and it still stands that this might well not be to everyone's taste. To point a finger at the developer though, is odd to me.

Agree with @MeanElf, the devs have always been pretty clear on what this was, the way the games media portrayed it as the return of arcade racing was way off the mark. It is great fun though, and I'd like to know what more the full game contains, but I'll be enjoying the Beta this weekend.

Still waiting for the real return of arcade racing, missing my RR7 now my boys have the old PS3. Driveclub is fun but doesn't scratch that itch for me, I guess those games just don't sell any more which is why the devs went with a different approach for this game.

Also think its a great idea to have an open beta for this, as it is different from what people might have expected, and that might have caused a backlash on release that shouldn't happen now as people know exactly what experience they are getting.

hang on but there is a bit of linguistic gymnastics going on here surely? The thread was started by the lead designer/dev (sorry don't know job title) and the thread is titled Arcade Racer and the OP says

ONRUSH is an over-the-top arcade racer from Codemasters, coming to PS4 in summer 2018. It’s been too long since there was an awesome, all-out arcade racing game! It’s great that there’s so much choice for those of you who love choosing tyres and tweaking set-ups, but what happened to the love for physics-defying, fast-paced, all-action racing? ONRUSH is a brand new game that celebrates everything you loved about the iconic arcade titles of yesteryear, but in a visually stunning, phenomenally fun and fresh take on what it means to race.

It mentions racing loads and doesn't mention the big difference which is that it is NOT a racer! In the last sentence there is a hint that I highlight but not clear I don't think?

25 minutes ago, Clipper said:

hang on but there is a bit of linguistic gymnastics going on here surely? The thread was started by the lead designer/dev (sorry don't know job title) and the thread is titled Arcade Racer and the OP says

ONRUSH is an over-the-top arcade racer from Codemasters, coming to PS4 in summer 2018. It’s been too long since there was an awesome, all-out arcade racing game! It’s great that there’s so much choice for those of you who love choosing tyres and tweaking set-ups, but what happened to the love for physics-defying, fast-paced, all-action racing? ONRUSH is a brand new game that celebrates everything you loved about the iconic arcade titles of yesteryear, but in a visually stunning, phenomenally fun and fresh take on what it means to race.

It mentions racing loads and doesn't mention the big difference which is that it is NOT a racer! In the last sentence there is a hint that I highlight but not clear I don't think?

Very good point, and I hadn't seen that original post, which does paint a very different picture of what we actually are getting here.

I think it shows a very astute reading of the market. I'm not sure the concept of "winning" really matters as much as it once did (apart, perhaps, from Chicken Dinners). With the rise of streaming and the like, I suspect the next generation are more interested in cool shit happening, rather than arbitrarily coming first by virtue of having spent longer than everyone else learning some courses. Blur was great, but I often had fantastic races where I came in 14th and didn't care. I loved Split/Second, and spent hours refining my skills to get Rank 1, and while I miss those heady times I think those days are gone now. If you want games to be inclusive, streamer friendly, and to cut through the swathe of other things your typical teen gamer might be playing you've got to deliver the dopamine shots in a different fashion. 

To re-evaluate racing games and take the actual racing out is a stroke of genius. It's a bit like Overwatch taking the detailed K/D ratios out and just flagging who did cool stuff at the end. I'm not sure this is going to be a commercial goliath, but if it gets enough of a community behind it I suspect it could do pretty well. In many ways, I suspect the older rllmuk crowd shaking their fist at it and saying it's confusing is probably a good sign.