ONRUSH - A New Breed of Arcade Action

Rushy

Digital Foundry have a decent video up on this (if you're interested in that kind of thing) but from what they say it sounds like they've had proper time with newer code and any tearing with performance mode on base PS4 has been much improved if not solved (they don't go into great detail on this I'm assuming because of embargoes etc.). I only found the 60fps option in the menus by accident as I'm not on PS4 Pro, the tearing wasn't really much of a problem since it's such a fast paced game but if the final code holds closer to 60fps then even better. Must admit this and God of War have made me seriously consider the PS4 Pro, only problem is the only HDR screen I have is on my phone.

I need my fix of this so bad! 2 weeks seems like a lifetime away lol. What a game! I really hope it does well for them and it's able to sustain a healthy, active community because it really is one of the best racers I've ever played. Pure distilled joy. 

10 hours ago, scoobysi said:

This is quite a different proposition to Driveclub though. Unfortunately the beta has put me off, I wish it had demonstrated some of the single player as that might have changed my mind. I’ll see how it reviews, single player especially and maybe reconsider later.

Yep, I appreciate that both games are quite different from each other - I was really just pointing out that DC was also somewhat different than a straight-up racing game - at the time, it only seemed to suffer from the sim vs casual crowd war. I know I was cautious before launch due to the whole team-based approach and what seemed at the time like an online focus to it all. Once I got the game though, all of that became superfluous; the journey was as much the point as the goal and the sim vs casual argument largely evaporated.

Something that just occurred to me that I'd meant to ask, during the intro there's a DTS-HD logo, does anyone know if the game supports this as an output? I don't think I've seen a game do anything other than DD/DTS or (I think on the PS3/4) high quality PCM. I usually play with headphones now but this game would be great to get going on the "big" TV in the living room through the home cinema.

Played the beta a fair amount, and I'm not sold on this as a full price title. To be honest, I don't buy anything full price as money is ridiculously tight at the moment, but this screams budget buy. 

I'm a bit torn as I would love this to succeed for the developers, I think it's a great idea, but I also don't want it to hammer another nail into the 'arcade racer' coffin. If this bombs, which sadly I think it will, the way it's been pushed might kill off the chances of us getting a new arcade style racer, which would be tragic. I'm glad @Rushy changed the title of the thread, but in a wider context, this might harm the genre overall. In the marketing stuff they mentioned not tuning your vehicle, changing parts, selecting tyres and thats all what makes stuff like RR7 and NFS:HP brilliant, but thats also not what this game is about at all. It's almost like its trying to hitch itself to the arcade racer wagon, but it has zero features and gameplay that justify that.

I don't want to sound too negative because I had a blast with it, and it's an ideal PS+ release (I assume devs get some money from that), but i think it's harming the cause of getting the game released that I really want to play.

9 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

...In the marketing stuff they mentioned not tuning your vehicle, changing parts, selecting tyres and thats all what makes stuff like RR7 and NFS:HP brilliant, but thats also not what this game is about at all. It's almost like its trying to hitch itself to the arcade racer wagon, but it has zero features and gameplay that justify that...

Ease of access, pick-up-and-playaility is normally enough to class a game as arcade - that's what I understand arcade to mean :) NFS has a quite different focus, as you rightly say - those games still have arcade physics though.

There's always the option to wait a week or so, to see from those playing the game what the SP/MP balance entails in terms of enjoyment/atmosphere/replayability and the like instead of the pure numbers already revealed. I'm broke too, haven't been able to buy any games other than FarCry5 since Horizon Zero Dawn and that includes MXGP3; Hellblade; NFS:Payback; God of War; Assassin's Creed:Origins and Gravel - I even lost out on two extra days of playing this Beta by declining the pre-order option, just in case it wasn't what I was interested in.

11 hours ago, NickyDrinks said:

Something that just occurred to me that I'd meant to ask, during the intro there's a DTS-HD logo, does anyone know if the game supports this as an output? I don't think I've seen a game do anything other than DD/DTS or (I think on the PS3/4) high quality PCM. I usually play with headphones now but this game would be great to get going on the "big" TV in the living room through the home cinema.

Not sure about DTS-HS but it sounds great on my surround sound in normal DTS.  In fact the music is possibly better than the overall sound effects in surround.

1 minute ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Not sure about DTS-HS but it sounds great on my surround sound in normal DTS.  In fact the music is possibly better than the overall sound effects in surround.

The music selection really is inspired and adds massively to the impact of the game (especially when played loud with headphones)... which is a relief as I actually found the soundtrack in Driveclub to be its weakest element.

2 hours ago, MeanElf said:

Ease of access, pick-up-and-playaility is normally enough to class a game as arcade - that's what I understand arcade to mean :) NFS has a quite different focus, as you rightly say - those games still have arcade physics though.

There's always the option to wait a week or so, to see from those playing the game what the SP/MP balance entails in terms of enjoyment/atmosphere/replayability and the like instead of the pure numbers already revealed. I'm broke too, haven't been able to buy any games other than FarCry5 since Horizon Zero Dawn and that includes MXGP3; Hellblade; NFS:Payback; God of War; Assassin's Creed:Origins and Gravel - I even lost out on two extra days of playing this Beta by declining the pre-order option, just in case it wasn't what I was interested in.

Its the term Arcade Racer I have problem with. For what it is, it's brilliant fun, don't get me wrong, if this was on PS+ I would be playing it all the time. But 'Arcade Racer' is different, and it's not what this is. I just worry that the message will be lost and screw up other pitches.

In terms of what it sets out to do, it's brilliant. But it didn't make that clear from the off and it will take a hit from it. In terms of sales, I worry it will be a terminal hit, which would be a massive shame.

8 hours ago, U-1 said:

The music selection really is inspired and adds massively to the impact of the game (especially when played loud with headphones)... which is a relief as I actually found the soundtrack in Driveclub to be its weakest element.

Yep, been waking up to tracks from ONRUSH playing in my head for the past few days - at random times in the day too. Going to have to get that soundtrack at some point.

7 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Its the term Arcade Racer I have problem with. For what it is, it's brilliant fun, don't get me wrong, if this was on PS+ I would be playing it all the time. But 'Arcade Racer' is different, and it's not what this is. I just worry that the message will be lost and screw up other pitches.

In terms of what it sets out to do, it's brilliant. But it didn't make that clear from the off and it will take a hit from it. In terms of sales, I worry it will be a terminal hit, which would be a massive shame.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood.

Arcade racing though, I'd say isn't quite as dead as many seem to think. There have been a few interesting 'hark-backs' over the past few years such as Micro-Machines and before that, Table Top Racers - Burnout Paradise got a remaster. Racing games as a complete genre has hit a bit of a slump, true - but dead it isn't. So I don't think this will upset the cart for other arcade titles or even hardcore racing ones - if anything, personally, I'd say it will help by bringing more variety to the table, especially after the purists see how much fun they are missing - hate to bring Driveclub up again but that is exactly what happened there; plenty of people who had stayed away at launch admitting they were quite enjoying it all and what a shame it was they hadn't got it sooner. Or am I still missing the point?

7 hours ago, MeanElf said:

Yep, been waking up to tracks from ONRUSH playing in my head for the past few days - at random times in the day too. Going to have to get that soundtrack at some point.

Ah, apologies, I misunderstood.

Arcade racing though, I'd say isn't quite as dead as many seem to think. There have been a few interesting 'hark-backs' over the past few years such as Micro-Machines and before that, Table Top Racers - Burnout Paradise got a remaster. Racing games as a complete genre has hit a bit of a slump, true - but dead it isn't. So I don't think this will upset the cart for other arcade titles or even hardcore racing ones - if anything, personally, I'd say it will help by bringing more variety to the table, especially after the purists see how much fun they are missing - hate to bring Driveclub up again but that is exactly what happened there; plenty of people who had stayed away at launch admitting they were quite enjoying it all and what a shame it was they hadn't got it sooner. Or am I still missing the point?

Not really.

But Driveclub WAS a racing game and an extremely good one. A successor to PGR/MSR which had since died at the time of release.

Pure racing - on roads - done well.

In this, for me it doesn't feel like theres enough of a hook. You might as well be picking up glowing orbs to power up, and then perform your attack.

Thats just not as fun for me. Better still,  would be to just add weapons, remove the car fodder and do an offroad Blur/Motorstorm.

I'm all for innovation in games, but i can't help but feel this should have been done as a decent offroad up to date racer - and this mode added as a DLC mode

1 hour ago, Dimahoo said:

Not really.

But Driveclub WAS a racing game and an extremely good one. A successor to PGR/MSR which had since died at the time of release.

Pure racing - on roads - done well.

In this, for me it doesn't feel like theres enough of a hook. You might as well be picking up glowing orbs to power up, and then perform your attack.

Thats just not as fun for me. Better still,  would be to just add weapons, remove the car fodder and do an offroad Blur/Motorstorm.

I'm all for innovation in games, but i can't help but feel this should have been done as a decent offroad up to date racer - and this mode added as a DLC mode

Not really, what? Sorry, I'm a bit lost there.

I'm not trying to convince anyone about this game, everyone will have their own choice on the matter - and that's as it should be. I only responded to points which I felt were misconceptions. If the game isn't for you or anyone else, that's fair enough - I intend to enjoy it and I know many others out there who also seem quite keen for what it will bring. Marmite is how someone described it; well, that's would appear to be a fair assessment I think.

I'm merely saying you're not missing his point.

It won't upset any racing game 'cart' but its own so your quite right - and theres a huge misconception unless the Beta isn't actually the core game as the entire web are suggesting its a racing game - but its not at all.  Its a Team deathmatch game with cars really.

Obviously the Beta goes someway into averting that  but not everyone has played it so many will think its a racer and could be disappointed that theres no racing.  So if your a racing fan like me, but don't really find the mechanics all that appealing - then you'll likely move on to the real racing game (out the same month) or skip this entirely.

But thats only my view.

I realise i'm making myself sound a bit smart-ass 

i don't mean too, its just i've played racing games for eons and this isn't getting me hooked 

And i get hooked by shit like Crashtime so.... it really doesn't take much :lol:

7 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

...as the entire web are suggesting its a racing game - but its not at all.  Its a Team deathmatch game with cars really...

No worries. I do wonder if people out there ever read information anymore, or do they simply get their impressions from opinionated/uninformed YouTubers who are only playing to an audience? I'm too old for this shit, I tell you.

5 hours ago, MeanElf said:

I do wonder if people out there ever read information anymore, or do they simply get their impressions from opinionated/uninformed YouTubers who are only playing to an audience? I'm too old for this shit, I tell you.

It's really not hard to get why people aren't getting it, the messaging is all over the place:

qRUoTJu.jpg

Yes, it's an arcade racer, no it's not racing in the traditional sense - but that's a lot harder to get across with respect to people's assumptions when they see a line of text and some boxart. Even the game doesn't seem entirely sure about how best to go about what it's trying to do, based on the beta at least (which I realise is slightly out of date build-wise and has only limited event and vehicle exposure).

First I knew this wasn't a traditional arcade racer was when I loaded into a multiplayer game.

ONRUSH Standard Digital Edition is a new breed of high-impact, adrenaline fuelled off-road arcade racing! It’s about speed, takedowns and teamwork with high-tempo thrills that focus on the fun, the excitement and the spectacular. Download now and GET READY FOR THE RUSH.

I mean, I dunno - I just kinda presumed there'd be a physical finish line.

What maybe better is if after the winner is decided on point's that isn't actually the end of the race.  The winner then gets a powerplay (headstart, more boost or something)  for some flat out racing to a finish line (or something like that!!).

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

It's really not hard to get why people aren't getting it, the messaging is all over the place:

Yes, it's an arcade racer, no it's not racing in the traditional sense - but that's a lot harder to get across with respect to people's assumptions when they see a line of text and some boxart. Even the game doesn't seem entirely sure about how best to go about what it's trying to do, based on the beta at least (which I realise is slightly out of date build-wise and has only limited event and vehicle exposure).

Indeed, but that's just the Twitter account bio - limited character space and all that - do people really get their info from things like that? The game site itself has more words to clarify, and sections that expand upon that nicely; though that does presuppose a willingness to say "hang on a minute" and not just gloss over at having seen the word 'racer' or even 'arcade racer' which is what must be happening.  I think I mentioned a Q&A in Eurogamer which came out a month after the game was first announced, plus quite a few vids from the development team themselves have cropped up in-between times too.

I just find it odd, I mean I really don't gen up on stuff excessively or anything, don't read reviews and most definitely don't bother watching any of the YT horde - but I still knew all about this.

Odd times we live in.

I think the thing I'm struggling to get over is yes it's not a racer but it's also not REALLY a battle in the sense of something like a Fortnite-but-on-wheels.

It's just ramming people until someone hits an arbitrary points target.

Admittedly I didn't have time to get on the beta so this is an uninformed opinion but of course most potential purchasers also wouldn't have been on that beta.  I do worry about an arcade style game where people are going to have to spend half the review explaining what it is.

Or, and this is equally possible, Rushy and co essentially just created an entire new genre and it's going to be a super smash hit.  I'm sure we'd all prefer that outcome.

Let's see!

(Does anyone have a good gameplay video of a full "round" start to finish?)

surely listening to the feedback would make sense here. I'd pull the handbrake, u turn and leave what was meant to be the next breed of racing game as a game mode, and spend some quality time pushing this into a new Motorstorm, its what most players want.

21 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I presume this will have a bunch of modes that aren't in the beta, so anyone complaining about a lack of (insert lack here) may well have their fears laid to rest with the full release.

Yep - two other modes, challenges, more vehicles/liveries/outfits - a SP campaign with a hundred or so events and more content to come via DLC at some point.

@DudleyI think one of @U-1's Twitter followers tagged it as an 'emergent vehicle posing simulator' or somesuch, which I quite like.

In two weeks @Dave White

2 minutes ago, MeanElf said:

Yep - two other modes, challenges, more vehicles/liveries/outfits - a SP campaign with a hundred or so events and more content to come via DLC at some point.

@DudleyI think one of @U-1's Twitter followers tagged it as an 'emergent vehicle posing simulator' or somesuch, which I quite like.

In two weeks @Dave White

just seen the launch date :facepalm: if it hasnt gone gold id still hold off if attall possible, its a quirky idea but feels kid of pointless like having a call of duty with no first to 75 or timer